LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Shadowsix
User

Default Not my father's Luger but I'm very happy

Growing up my father had a 9mm P-08 that was a post war (1960's make I think) either American made or imported (not sure if it was a Stoeger, last I saw it was 20 years ago). It was the first real gun I ever shot (age 9, under my father's supervision). My father died recently and my mother told me they sold it in the late 90's to an old friend of their's who has since died himself so it is beyond my reach to retrieve. I wish they had given my brother or I a chance at it but my mother claims it didn't occur to them at the time and she just wanted it out of the house (my father was back then first having some health issues).

I am more a M1911 person (I'm exmilitary from just before they switched to the M9) but I have fond memories of shooting that Luger and wanted one for sentimental reasons and it would fit in with my collection of handguns.

I started searching stores and then gun shows when I came across one that I loved and although I guess it is not a shooter considering it's age it has been recently shot by the previous owner and he told me as long as I don't go crazy shooting it every once in a while and use low velocity ammo it should be fine.

It is a 9mm DWM 1917 with serial number 9242 and German military receiver proof found on DWM Lugers 1914-1918. All matching serial numbers except the magazine. It has the markings for the 164th regiment, 6th company, 34th gun. I paid $1200 for it.

Below are the pics, sorry for the quality. I need to get a new scanner, the glass on mine is pitted which makes the Luger look worse than it really is. Or I've been thinking about getting a lightbox on ebay.

No matter what I am extremely happy with my purchase whether I ever fire it or not myself. It even fits nicely with my WWI medal collection. I've even been thinking about getting a good old (but inexpensive) Stoeger Luger .22 as a shooter and just leave this original alone.

Am I being too cautious? I have run new snap caps through it and it seems solid & fine but I'm worried I might be taking too much of a chance with 95 year old historical piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luger_LF_v1c.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	25706  

Name:	Luger_RF_v1a.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	25707  

Name:	Top_year_mnfctr_v1a.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	25710  

Attached Images

Shadowsix is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Shadowsix for your post:
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
TheRomanhistorian
User

Welcome Ross, and any Luger is a beautiful Luger in my book. The only reason many would argue for not shooting with it is that it is all-matching (a non-matching magazine is not surprising in general).

I personally would shoot it if it were mine. However, it is not. :P It is yours and your decision should be whatever is comfortable with you (plus, you can go find a shooter now. ). Either way, you have something to pass on to the next generation and that can't be bad!

I don't generally have concerns with firing my two Lugers (a 1918 and a 1921 mismatch) but I do look for the right ammunition which will function the Luger mechanism without undue stress (many prefer Winchester White Box) though many have recommended reloading so that you can get exactly what you need at the minimum level of power you need to work the action. What a neat piece of history with the unit mark, have you been able to learn more about the unit?

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
tx_oil
User

I think that you did well. I think that if you are happy with your Luger, then it is a sucess. If you are buying/selling to make a profit then you use one set of criteria to judge your purchases, if you are seeking to acquire a sentimental talisman then there is an entirely different set of criteria which will apply. I also am new to the Luger game, but have wanted one since a I was a teenager in the 1970's eagerly reading every gun magazine until they were tattered, and transfixed over the gorgeous cover shots of various Lugers.
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi Ross, and welcome to the forum!

Very nice DWM. You acquired it at a good price, and it looks to be in very nice condition. Looks like original finish, and the straw is particularly nice looking.

I generally avoid shooting collectable pistols because of the potential for loss of value and the history. Your Luger is collectable and you probably paid slightly below market price for it in my area.

For shooting, keep your eye out for a Mauser made mis-matched pistol from the WW-II era. They can be had for about 2/3 what you paid for yours. Several appear on this site's for sale pages annually, and people like Tom Heller (LugerDoc - who sold me mine) make them available reasonably from time to time.

The Russian Capture pistols now becoming available seem to be a mixed bag of conditions with unreliable descriptions from some of the dealers. You'll see postings here about recent experience with "R-Guns".

If you do fire your Luger, use the regular velocity stuff. No "NATO" or +P loads, and I prefer 115gn over 124gn 9mm.

Another possible approach is to temporarily swap out parts that are prone to damage with replacement originals. The extractor is one part I would consider. Also preference for a fluted firing pin that can vent pressure should a primer blow back. The original non-fluted firing pins can break out the back of the breech block where the firing pin spring guide catch is.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
padredan
User

you havea nice one, enjoy it. and welcome to the forum
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Shadowsix
User

First of all thank you all for your welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRomanhistorian View Post
Welcome Ross, and any Luger is a beautiful Luger in my book. The only reason many would argue for not shooting with it is that it is all-matching (a non-matching magazine is not surprising in general).

I personally would shoot it if it were mine. However, it is not. :P It is yours and your decision should be whatever is comfortable with you (plus, you can go find a shooter now. ). Either way, you have something to pass on to the next generation and that can't be bad!

I don't generally have concerns with firing my two Lugers (a 1918 and a 1921 mismatch) but I do look for the right ammunition which will function the Luger mechanism without undue stress (many prefer Winchester White Box) though many have recommended reloading so that you can get exactly what you need at the minimum level of power you need to work the action. What a neat piece of history with the unit mark, have you been able to learn more about the unit?
Hi Romanhistorian,

I haven't learned more about the unit it came from but I'd like too. What would be good sources to best find that info out?

The previous owner told me what he knew of the gun's history and that this one came over shortly after the war (WWI) in a mass of them as a part of war reparations.

Hi mrerick,

That is a good idea to look for a mismatched Mauser to use as a shooter. I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Here is just a few of my German WWI medals that might display well with it. None of the ribbons are original but the medals are. The Blue Max belonged to an officer named Wilhelm Frankle but it was not the original issue but what is called a jewler's make that many winners would have made because they had to be wearing one all the time and didn't always want it to be the one they were issued.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WWI_Imperial German_medals.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	25711  

Unread 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Douglas Jr.
User

Ross,

I think you did fine for your first Luger. I'm with Marc: do not shoot it, as any accident will destroy its value as a collectable item. Go after a vintage holster, tool and another magazine and then you'll have a nice rig to go with your nice collection ofmedals.

You can have a "shooter" quality pistol easy, and can take it to the range without any regret or concern.

I used to collect militaria (mainly WWI medal bars) but I gave up most of it to focus on pre-1945 firearms. You can't have everything, can you? If you are talking about the German fighter ace Wilhelm Frankl (the only Jewish to win the Pour Le Merite) then you have a suberb item.

All the best and welcome to the forum.

Douglas
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the forum. There are many well informed and helpful members on this forum. I learn things that I did not know nearly weekly.

If you decide that you want to shoot that particular Luger, then I would purchase a complete non-matching toggle assy to use during the shooting. I have done this for one of my lugers.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Shadowsix
User

Hi Douglas,

I'm definitely leaning more & more towards not shooting it and buying a shooter.

And yes I meant German fighter ace Wilhelm Frankl I just was to lazy to dig up the letter to get the correct spelling. I wish it was his issued one but even having his jewler's make version is very cool (a definite never sell).

I've been considering getting a vintage holster. I did purchase a modern stripping tool but I can just save that for the shooter.

Hi rhuff,

Thank's, You are so right I've been leaning something new every day since I've been reading here.