LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
hooter
New User

Question Finish P08

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Has anyone bought one of these Finish military pistols from Aim Surplus? What sort of condition are they really in? Does anyone have one with matching #'s. Considering buying one. Thanks.

Hooter
hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

no, not one of these, I bought a Finnish from Empire arms, was very happy.

Finding one with matching numbers is unlikely, they are known to be rearsenalled many times.

Welcome to the forum!

Is "hooter" your real name, as that is what is in your profile, and no location. I just kind of like to know who I am "talking" to on a forum...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
hooter
New User

Thanks for the info. The guy at Aim said that there is only one SN that is visible on the frame. I guess that the other normally SN parts were replaced with non SN parts.

Hooter
hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Hooter,

Many of the Lugers which ended up in Finland came from DWM commercial production. The parts on commercial Lugers are serial-number stamped in "hidden" (non-obvious) places, such as edges or interior surfaces. A dealer who is not thoroughly familiar with Lugers might not know or take time to look in those places.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
Justa_TXguy
User

I have 3. One is good. Other 2 are very good. AIM seems honest because that is how they list them - good to very good. I'm not a % guy and don't understand how anyone can tell the difference between 90 to 98% so I won't even try.

They are rearsenalled and are mismatched. Two are numbered in the commerical style. Other is numbered in the military style. I assume that is because that is what the base guns were. Barrels look new or like new.

The two with wood grips both are chipped by the safety. The plastic grips (are these Finnish replacements?) are perfect.

I'm told these have Finnish mags but I don't know how I would tell them from another. Only other Luger I have is a 1920 commercial I got from one of the fine members here and the mag in it isn't a whole lot different from the ones in the Finnish lugers.

I like the balance the longer Tikka 9mm barrel gives (over my shorter 7.62 1920 commercial's.) I like the stock lug too although I believe that affixing a stock would violate NFA.

In a post I found here, they indicated a few letter ranges these should be in but one of mine is a Q, which is not listed. I don't know if that really means anything.

After a few years of lurking I finally contributed to a post!
Justa_TXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Michael,

Many Finnish Lugers came out of Alphabet Commercial production, but not necessarily out of a specific "range". Or maybe they did, but the documentation to confirm this is not available.

For my database, could you possibly report the serial numbers of your pistols, along with any proof marks (if c/N, whether they are upright or lazy), whether or not the pistols are marked SA, etc.? This could help establish whether or not there was an actual range (Also would be good to know the details of your other commercial pistol, for the record).

The magazines which came with these Lugers are of course regular, unmarked wood-base commercial magazines, but they sometimes are marked with thet Finnish SA stamp as well.

If you don't want to announce these details in a public post, please email them to me, dwightg@pacifier.com

Thanks very much for your informative post, and in advance for the other info.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote