LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-13-2002, 03:46 PM   #1
Phil Poulos

Default G Date S-42 Luger

I just bought my first Luger, it is a G date S-42 Mauser. It is all matching except for the toggle, breechblock, and magazine. The toggle and breechblock match themselves, and the mag has an aluminum bottom with an eagle over 655. The blueing is 80% and the straw is roughly 50%. I was wondering how many of these were produced in 1935 and what about its value? I purchased it for $600 and it came with an original hardshell holster in very good condition. It is not import stamped anywhere and it actually has the soldiers initials on the holster with unit markings. The holster is marked WERKE 1915 BERLIN and was originally brown but was dyed black for WWII. Did I get a good deal? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks, PHIL

Unread 02-13-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: G Date S-42 Luger

A shooter Luger for $500 and an original holster for $100 (dyed, hurts it quite a bit for value) I'd said you got a fair deal. ~Thor~

Unread 02-13-2002, 04:25 PM   #3
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default G date mismatch Luger

When I hear the word 'except'...I ignore all that preceeded it...as:

""all matching except for the toggle, breechblock""

Your gun is a mismatch...period. There is no such thing as ALMOST matching.

In my opinion, the cost is not out of line if the holster is nice? It is a 'shooter' and price/value would be about the same as the P08s currently being imported plus whatever the 1915 holster is worth.

Orv Reichert

Unread 02-13-2002, 04:27 PM   #4
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default We think alike, Thor........Orv (EOM)

Unread 02-13-2002, 06:46 PM   #5
Jim Van Eldik
User

Take it out and shoot it, oil it, fondle it, show it to your jealous friends. In other words, enjoy the hell out of it. These things are not about money dammit! (By the way, you did fine)

Unread 02-13-2002, 06:52 PM   #6
Phil Poulos

Default Re: G date mismatch Luger

Orv, I am NOT trying to sell you this pistol so your extreme criticisms are not appreciated. I was merely attempting to describe my pistol as accurately as possible. Please attempt to be a little more civil in the future. Any information as to how many were produced would be appreciated if anyone out there knows. Thanks, PHIL

Unread 02-13-2002, 06:56 PM   #7
Phil Poulos

Thanks Jim! The hobby needs more people like you in it. Thanks, PHIL

Unread 02-13-2002, 08:04 PM   #8
bill m
User

Default Calm Down

Hi Phil,

I think Orv answered your questions accurately and without criticism. There were no G-dates produced like yours with a mismatched toggle and ect., but about 54,000 G-dates were produced. You did not mention what the serial number of the frame was, as these were produced from the early "A" block into the mid "F" block with six different acceptance marks inwhich some are a lot lower production variations than others, for instance the early "A" block with the B/90-S/91 is far less seen than a W/154-S/92 variation. Also, you did not mention what type of grips it had and how good they were, or the bore, or if a tool was in the holster. You have just what Orv stated you have: a mismatched shooter. In my opinion you did not steal it by any means, but sounds like about market value to me. Enjoy it and bet it will shoot well for you and give you lots of hours of enjoyment.

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:04 AM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default I think you made a reasonablely good deal Phil...

I think what you got reflects current market value.

In Orv's defense, Please remember that the printed form of communication we use here on the forum carries no tone of voice, no emotion, and no feelings with it. Orv's comments were accurate, but brief.

Though he specializes in P.38 and PP/PPK type pistols, he has been collecting for MANY years and has very likely forgotten more about Lugers than most of the regular posters on this forum. He gives sage advice and personally knows history on some Luger variations that you won't find in many, if any, references.

Enjoy your Luger because you can... Think of all the poor souls that don't have one! or that only own those that are so rare and precious as to make firing them a crime because it risks damage to a unique piece of history!

best regards,

John

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:06 AM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Reasonably good deal! DARN that SPELLCHECKER! :)

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:23 AM   #11
tom h

Phil, About 5500 G date were made by Mauser in 1935. They run from the 3 digit a suffix block to the mid F block. Tom h

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:29 AM   #12
tom h

Oops, I missed a zero, 55,000 made.

Unread 02-14-2002, 02:01 PM   #13
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default Thanks John!.....Orv

I really did not mean to offend...but [obviously] I did?

Sorry !

Orv Reichert

Unread 02-14-2002, 09:59 PM   #14
mlm

To help preserve the value of this luger, put reproduction grips on it. The original grips are fragile after 65 years (were actually fragile to begin with as many were replaced in service) and orig grip pairs can cost $75 and up.

The value of a luger and holster like you describe runs right at about $600 so you are right on the money. $425-550 pistol and $70-130 for a period-dyed 1915 holster.

congratulations,

dave

Unread 02-15-2002, 10:29 AM   #15
Bill Utterback

When a person buys a mismatched Luger, often they understandably want to know as much history as possible on the basic pistol. I bought a 1914 Erfurt LP08 with a DWM toggle. The fact that it had a mismatched toggle did not make me less interested in finding out all I could about 1914 Erfurt artilleries. I am just as interested in information about my $695 pistol as is the new owner of a $2,000 El Perfecto artillery.

People new to the LugerForum see posts where "shooter" Lugers are claimed to have no more than $300 to $350 value if one part is mismatched. I note "advanced" collectors are willing to overlook the fact that the magazine is mismatched since much of their collections would otherwise be lowered to "shooter" status.

Then when a post is made requesting information and it is answered with a brief "you only have a shooter" type of reply, it is natural to infer (although possibly incorrectly) that the intent of the post was to imply "you have a $300 pistol and you paid twice what it is worth."

It would suit me just fine if I never saw the word "shooter" again. Everybody knows that (original) matching numbers increase value just as does a high percentage of original finish, no question about it. But the artifical distinction between "junk" shooters and collectable Lugers is a distinction that is not a firm line that can be drawn at some point. A mismatched or unmarked firing pin does not necessarily reduce value to $300 or even $450. Otherwise, all Lugers with mismatched magazines would be $300 junk shooters.

Unread 02-15-2002, 12:10 PM   #16
66mustang

Default Re: Thanks John!.....Orv

See! This is the kind of thing about this forum. Sometimes there are differences of opinion and we all have certain items that get to us, but jeez, the people I have met have been friendly and helpful!

The knowledge base here is outstanding!

Ed

Unread 02-16-2002, 12:03 PM   #17
Art Buchanan

I agree 100% with Bill---maybe there is hope for this forum after all!!

Unread 02-16-2002, 02:47 PM   #18
Marvin
User

Art,

I also agree with what Bill stated, A Luger is a Luger! I also think that a number of the mismatched pistols were done during wartime service (the import marked Russian pistols [robably are exceptions), and are historically important. I do not "snub" anyones pistol!

Marvin

Unread 02-17-2002, 12:01 AM   #19
Tracy

Outstanding reasoning. While some of my Lugers do not meet the ranks of so called collectability I enjoy them all. Sometimes they were the only thing I could afford. I do envy the guys with the big bucks and the real rare items but I belive I enjoy my collecton as much as they do, and per chance if I get a scratch on them from letting someone hold them I don't have to worry about how much value they lost. I belive that every one should enjoy there collection and the fun is in hoping that something different is going to show up that you can afford or is somewhat rare or unknown.