LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country
Default S/42 1939 Just purchased

My luger # is 8114 (no suffux) 1939 and has a fancy letter "O" on the strap leading down to the grip. The "O" is about 3/4 of an inch below the barrel (in the area that is a part of the trigger guard). One of my books states that it is late model Kriegsmarine and is rare and only one of this series has shown up. This data, of course, leads to the value. Anyone who can help fix the category that my gun belongs in will be appreciated. Also, what is a Kriegsmarine?
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
drbuster
User

CAP, pictures, if possible, are essential to render any opinion at all. Keep in mind that Third Reich Navy Lugers are often faked since the markings are relatively easy to apply by unscrupulous folks. As a general rule (for me), I consider ALL Mauser made Navy Lugers as fakes until proven otherwise. Often this can be very difficult to ascertain to the point of justifying their higher price tag. The "O" marking you mention is very unusual. The Navy "Ostsee" is usually accompanied by a number signifying the unit. Could this "O" really be a suffix to the serial number? That's why photos are a must. "Kreigsmarine" just means Third Reich Navy.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to drbuster for your post:
Unread 01-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

The O as part of the Serial number was my original thought. But there are no suffixes anyplace affixed with the serial number. I found reference to the "N" and "O' in the material on S/42 1939's and then found the odd symbol on the part of the trigger guard and then matched the symbol up with fancy "O" on some suffix legend materials I have. Those materials relate the "N" or "O" being on the grip strap. Is the area up near the barrel a part of the grip strap? I don't know. The book says not many produced. Well 8114 with no suffix means the first batch - at least to me.
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
drbuster
User

CAP, the ONLY place the suffix will occur is on the frame front or upper trigger guard area. Many Mauser military lugers do not have the suffix under the barrel or anywhere else on the pistol (except for the magazine bottom if it matches).
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to drbuster for your post: