LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-10-2003, 02:13 AM   #1
Stevie
User

Post Browning semi-auto hunting rifles

Just seeking an opinion...Sometime back,I sold a friend a small stock trailer, on a monthly payment basis. Well in the meantime his wife has got pregnant, he's changed jobs, the economy has crashed even further, and he has lagged in his payments. To settle up the debt he has offered a Browning auto rifle in 300 Winchester mag. The piece is a little beat up, but looks mechanicaly sound, and worked perfectly on demonstration.

My only hesitation concerns the chambering.I am a hunter and sportsman familiar with .30-06, .30-30, 12ga., and many other caliber sporting arms. I would not quibble if the gun were bolt action. Does anyone have any experience with these arms(good or bad)? Do these rifles live up to the makers and the cartridges reputations?

Thanx, Stevie
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 03:06 AM   #2
Doug G.
User

IMHO, the Browning auto's are fine guns and the .300 Win mag can kill almost anything at great distance. However if the gun is in poor condition the value will not be over $300-$350. Take a look at the completed auctions on Auction Arms or Gun Broker to see what they are currently bringing.
Unread 08-10-2003, 04:08 AM   #3
Stevie
User

I'm probably going to allow $400, balance of debt. It is a gentlemans deal and the offer is at my request to "take it out in trade". I was mainly concerned about the reliability of belted magnum rounds in an autoloader. I've had previous experience with a Remington 7400 .30-06, a fine accurate rifle, but ammo finicky.

Thanx, Stevie.
Unread 08-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
trigger643
User

Depending on how beat up it is, $400.00 probably wouldn't be a bad price. I got one in trade in .300 winmag several years ago and had no problems with ammo and found it pleasantly accurate for a hunting rifle for the short time that I owned it (less than a year / 100 rounds). the .300 winmag will best all north american large game and I have several bolt guns in this caliber. It is an exceptional cartridge.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 05:16 PM   #5
Stevie
User

Thanks, guy's. I bought a box of .300 cartridges(yikes!pricy),and gave the gun a good shooting. I've decided to do the deal. I also got 2 sets of scope mounts and 3 scopes of various quality, and about 2 gallons of empty brass(must have saved every case he ever shot). He said he has had problems keeping a scope mounted solid on the gun, so I'll have to check that out. It did shoot good with iron sights. Ouch! My shoulder hurts.

Stevie.