LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 09-12-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
monk69
User

Post Unique Kreigsmodel grip screws

I'm in desperate need of 2 grip screws for my Unique. I've tried every parts dealer on the Internet with no luck. I even tried the local gunsmith/machinists to make me a set, again no luck.They appear to be harder to find/make then gold - does anyone have any idea where I might find one or two?
Thanks.
monk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 11:33 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Monk69

Show us a photo of the type of Unique pistol you are talking about... they made more than one type... Then someone might be able to help.

If I were in your shoes ( I hope that they are at least 9.5 D ) I would take the frame only (whole pistols make people in stores nervous) and visit a real good tool store like MSC and have them determine the actual thread size... then you would at least know what size screws you are looking for... If they have the tap & die available, you could buy the die and use it to rethread a screw with a suitably sized head on it.

Then, if you can locate some screw of that thread you may be able to cut them to the proper length and at least make the gun serviceable.

One other thing you can do... if the gun is not really a collectable and you just want a shooter with grips that will stay on it, get some grip screws from a well known gun that might have the right size screwhead... a Luger or Colt perhaps? and then drill and tap the frame to fit the screws that are available... that might be your best bet in the long run provided the gun is a shooter and not collectable.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
I have had good luck in going to a hardware store that specializes in screws, bolts and other fasteners. The can't be all that hard to find since we have two here in El Paso and this town is about as one-horse as you can get. I find the right thread diameter and pitch (there are usually a wide selection of machine screws in both English and metric sizes) and get a screw with a head as large and thick as possible. It may take a little hunting and a patient clerk. Make sure to get screws with a much longer shank than you need, you can cut them to length later. Then I wrap the threads with tape and chuck it up in a drill or lathe and using a file I turn it down to the proper dimensions. You can buy jewelers files or slot cutting files to re-cut the slot. I have done this on a couple of occasions where I couldn't find proper grip screws. Worked pretty well and with an older gun that is somewhat worn, cold blue on the reshaped and polished screw heads looks OK.
Unread 09-12-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
Roadkill
User

See if you can find a typewriter repair shop. I used to bring guns by one regularly to get replacement screws for mine.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
jamese
User

RK,
Finding a Typewriter repair shop these days might be harder to find than the screws. (Thanks to computers)

Monk69,
I think any michine shop worth their salt should be able to make some michine screws to fit what your looking for.
Try going to a high school michine shop class and have them make the screws as part of a class project.

Their always looking for worth while projects to keep the kids busy.

Jim
Unread 09-12-2003, 02:08 PM   #6
jamese
User

Ron Wood,
Please check your PM concering another issue

thanks,
Jim
Unread 09-12-2003, 02:52 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
jamese,

The high school or votech shop project idea is a Great one... this would be a fine way to get a lot of small parts like pins and screws produced for the price of the raw materials...

You are also right about teachers always looking for worthwhile projects... my wife is a technology teacher and has a real time finding computer-related things for kids to do when the school computer network or internet access is not functional...that doesn't require Computers!

Shop teachers would be no different...want to give them a REAL challenge? Give them a stripped Luger sideplate and tell them to duplicate it!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2003, 09:28 AM   #8
monk69
User

All,
Thanks for the advise. i had hoped a Unique collector might have surfaced with a set of screws, but I guess I'll have to do it the hard way. I like the H.S. machine shop idea. My neighbors the principal at the local H.S.and he agreed to see what they can do. I'll let you know.
monk69
monk69 is offline   Reply With Quote