LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-24-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
Stevie
User

Post Rust blue on Czeck Mauser?

I bought a Czeck 98/22 long rifle last week. Basicly identical to a WW1 German GEW98 except for a longer handguard. While cleaning her up and making sure she's safe to shoot, I noticed that while the blueing is pretty much intact(some has turned to a brown patina), the inside of the action is in the white like the bolt! I've never seen this before, and only heard of it in reference to DWM Lugers. Oh well back to the rifle, you folk's should really consider one of these historical rifles, cheap to buy and shoot, and mine is quite accurate. Mine was turned out in 1923, and has a few crown proofed German parts.

Stevie.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
Jim Keenan
User

Prior to about the mid-1930's tank bluing as we know it today did not exist. Bluing was either rust bluing or some other form of bluing, such as oil blackening and the carbona blue that was used by S&W and Colt.

Rust bluing took time, but did not really slow production once the factory pipeline was full. And it is by far the best looking.

IMHO, the VZ-24 is the best of the Mausers of that era, though the FN and Mauser Model 24 are nice.

Jim
Jim Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote