LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 12-07-2002, 07:48 PM   #1
Rick W.
User

Post 1906 American Eagle

i
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 01:28 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts
Rick, what you describe is a 1906 American Eagle Luger. I can't say if it's a reblue as sometimes the word "Germany" was not stamped evenly and the same is true of the Eagle. On mine, the olive branches kind of peter out on the edges. Examine the sharp edges to see if they have been buffed to a more rounded contour than they should be.

The "circle-B" on the barrel is actually a Brazilian contract proofmark BUT Costanzo observes that the circle-B sometimes appears on DWM commercial Lugers of the period. (Just a guess on my part but I'd think that DWM had a few spare barrels excess to their contract needs but already proofed and used them on some of the export pistols.)

The last two digits of the serial number should also appear on the UNDERSIDE of the take-down lever (locking bolt) and the sideplate. Simply turn the gun upside down and you should see the numbers.

I have a soft spot for the 1906 model and consider it to be THE elegant Luger. If all matching and the bore is in VG or better condition, the price isn't too far off IMO.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 10:34 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts
Rick, if the shop will allow you to take the pistol down for examination - and they should at the price being asked - to verify that the serial numbers internally are matching, look at the inside of the frame and slide. They should still be "in the white".... no bluing on the inside. That would be a fair indication that the gun has not been reblued as rust blued Lugers (ALL 1906 Lugers were rust blued) will be "white" inside. If a Brazilian Contract barrel was used by the factory, it may have been blued separately from the slide and frame and thus have a slightly different coloration to it.

Let us know if you decide to purchase it and please post some pictures.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote