LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default Check out this combo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1825205058

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default would it work?

I don't think the thing would work as is? The weight of the barrel ass'y would not allow the top half to recoil enough to actuate the bolt through it's full cycle? I believe some type of accelerator would be necessary?

I also don't know what the legal ramifications are of making a rifle out of a pistol? The reverse is not legal!

Orv Reichert

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:45 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Both are legal Orv - but rifle to pistol= $200 ta

If the pistol barrel is more than 16" then no tax is required when you stock it. If the barrel is shorter than 16" then the same $200 NFA tax applies as when you take a rifle and make it shorter than 26" overall or cut the barrel less than 16"

regards,

John

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:47 PM   #4
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: would it work?

A 8oz holosight weighs to much for the action to cycle. I have tried it. The 2oz Docter sight will allow the action to cycle, however.

Lonnie

Unread 05-03-2002, 07:22 PM   #5
Roadkill
User

Would it work? How does it work on a carbine? If you are holding the front stock how does the receiver traverse rearwards? I've obviously not fired a carbine or even thought about it till Orv mentioned that.

Roadkill

Unread 05-03-2002, 07:45 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
Default Carbine

The forearm of a carbine is not attached to the barrel. It is attached to an extension of the frame. So the barrel is essentially "free-floating", and holding on to the forearm has no effect on the movement of the action. Having said that, the barrel on ebay has the forearm attached to the barrel. If you look at the photo, there is probably a 3/8" gap between the rear of the forearm and the rear barrel flange. That is designed to allow the barrel/receiver assembly to move to the rear during firing. If you held on to the forearm while you are firing, obviously you would impede this rearward movement and the action probably would not function properly (Nah, it wouldn't function!) That is independent of whether the weight of the barrel/forearm assembly would be too heavy to cycle. So the forearm on the ebay barrel is just for looks, kind of like mammarys on a boar.

Unread 05-03-2002, 08:29 PM   #7
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Carbine

Makes sense. Thanks! How far does the barrel assy have to travel back to cycle the action? And does the rearward action of the barrel assy or the bolt recoil kick the toggle back?

Roadkill

Unread 05-03-2002, 09:30 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I am not exactly sure of the physical dimension of the rearward travel of the barrel assembly to cycle the action (without going downstairs and measuring the action, I would guess about 3/8"). The barrel/receiver assembly is locked with the toggle assembly in recoil until the toggle knobs contact the frame ramp. At that point, the toggle knobs move upward, breaking the straight line of the breechblock/forward toggle link/rear toggle link train. Now the toggle train is no longer "locked" and the inertia of the breechblock will cause it to move away from the barrel and extract the spent cartridge case.

Unread 05-03-2002, 09:58 PM   #9
Thor
User

Default Re: Ron Wood.......

Please email me your phone number! I would like to call you! Thor

Unread 05-03-2002, 10:04 PM   #10
Roadkill
User

I had a good idea of that but wasn't sure of the sequence. Its interesting about the carbines though. The engineering factors continue to amaze me.

Roadkill

Unread 05-04-2002, 03:07 AM   #11
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

The American Rifleman article on the 1980 Mauser Carbine notes that the 1902 DWM Carbine has an auxiliary recoil spring mounted in the forearm, and a lug on the bottom of the barrel which engages the spring. This is no doubt due to the special, higher-powered .30 rounds produced for these guns in order to move the greater mass of the works with the long barrel.

In test firing the Mauser Carbine, they noted that most American ammunition (1n 1980) was too puny to feed reliably. The only ammunition they found which would consistently operate the Carbine was Berdan-primed, surplus Czech ammo, and Canadian military ammunition.

--Dwight

Unread 05-04-2002, 09:19 AM   #12
Johnny Peppers
User

The spring in the forearm was to aid in bringing the barrel and receiver back into battery. The leaf spring lacked the tension to always return the barrel into battery. The 1920 carbines lacked this feature as the coil spring was strong enough to complete the firing cycle without assistance.