LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-05-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default 2nd. 1915 Erfurt Artillery 4 Sale...

Boy, another 1915 Erfurt artillery, this one advertised on Gunbroker.com

At least this one is claimed to be refinished...but what about the fact it is calimed to be a 1915 Erfurt artillery...?

" Luger Artillery Model - Beautifully refinished and rebuilt. 1915 marking on breech - Erfurt on toggle. Stock attachment on rear of grip. Walnut checkered grip. Test fired only by certified gunsmith. Receiver serial number 93xx, upper numbered 52xx. Numbered parts match receiver numbering. Adjustable ladder style sight. Unknown make magazine with wood base. Certified funds, FFL only. $30 next day air. "

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...p?Item=3860995

Unread 05-05-2002, 12:11 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: 2nd. 1915 Erfurt Artillery 4 Sale...

Another put together. Notice that the front and rear sights are not fine tune. This was not eliminated until 1917. It is worth what any other shooter LP08 is worth.

Unread 05-05-2002, 02:25 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Please use this as an educational experience. To my uninformed perusal this gun looks fine. Let us unwashed unknowing ignorant souls become enlightened as to the true knowledge posessed by our beters. Seriously, how do you know? Is the details or the overall appearance, or what? Sometimes I know its just a feeling that requires further investigation. Break it down piece by piece so we can learn. I would have walked in, paid up to $950 for a reworked matching artillery.

Roadkill

Unread 05-05-2002, 04:59 PM   #4
Murray

There are a number of ways one check the authenticity of such a gun. The interesting point is that the ad states that the receiver parts mach which would include the barrel, the receiver and the toggle, all of which should have the usual proliferation of Erfurt inspectors stamps. The lack of the site fine tune is strange however. Jan C Still's excellent book on Imperial Lugers will give you all the information you need to verify the gun.

I recently failed to bid on an obviously built up 1915 Erfurt P08 long which was passed in at NZ$500 which is about US$220.00. It had a reserve of NZ$550. I realised later that I could'nt buy the parts for that.

Go for It. It will still make an interesting shooter!

Murray

GBI.NZ

Unread 05-05-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default 1915 Erfurt Artillery ...Real Or Not ?

Everything I have read in Stills, Reese, Davis, Kenyon, etc. seem to state that Erfurt only made the LP-08 pistole (i.e. the artillery) in only one year,...1914.

Can a 1915 chamber dated Erfurt LP-08 be considered "real"...?

Has a 1915 ever been "authenticated"...?

Unread 05-05-2002, 08:45 PM   #6
Brandon Metcalf

Default Gives you something to think about don't it? 8)</strong>
			</div>
			<hr size=

Unread 05-05-2002, 08:53 PM   #7
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: 1915 Erfurt Artillery ...Real Or Not ?

Apparently none of the above mentioned gentlemen have seen anything to convince them otherwise. Should one ever be authenticated, who will authenticate the authenticator?