LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Jc92073
New User

Default 1923 30 Luger with issues

Hello,

I have what I think is a '23 export P08 luger in 7.65. It has been in the family a long time, and no one still alive has ever seen it work real well. It doesn't feed correctly. When I first got it the toggle would not lock back, so I found some good aftermarket mags and that has been corrected.

The bigger issue is sometimes the nose of the next round will pop up and not go into the chamber. Sometimes it will double feed, one will slide into the chamber, but another will be pushed out of the magazine a little.

At times it wasn't extracting, but I think that is fixed, I replaced the spring and it pulls it out every time now.

Being 90 years old I thought maybe the main spring was week, so I replaced it with the correct one for a 30 luger, but it still didn't work all the time, might get 2 or 3 shots off before it acted up. I tried the next step up in spring, stock for a 9mm, but it is too strong and the toggle doesn't even move when firing.

I bought a spring kit from Wolff, and every spring is new, other than the ejector. I have new magazines, I have cleaned and recleaned the gun and polished the feed ramp. The gun moves smooth as can be by hand. I can run a full magazine through the gun by hand with no problems. All parts are matching.

When it works it is a fun gun to shoot and VERY accurate.

So... any suggestions or maybe a good gunsmith in the Dallas area?

Thanks,

JC
Jc92073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

There are a couple of things to check...

One is your grip and it's consistency. It can have quite an effect on the proper cycling of a Luger. Good solid support; proper hold; adequate resistance to the recoil.

After that, the most common cause of your feed problem is the magazine. The best magazines are the ones made during and after WW-II by Haenel Schmeisser. They are called "FXO" magazines, and have machined metal surfaces on the body. They were briefly available from Sarco from East German surplus stocks recently.

In the aftermarket, the better magazines are from Mec-Gar. Is this what you bought? If not, consider trying one of these.

Does the pistol cycle smoothly? Any drag or resistance in the action?

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Jc92073
New User

Hi Marc,

Yes, got two Mec-Gar magazines, had a hard time finding anyone that had them in stock at the time I bought them.

It does cycle very smooth, does not bind or drag. It locks back fine after the last round with the original and first replacement main spring.

I can try to strenghten my grip some more, but I think I am very solid.

Fiocchi ammo is the only brand I have been able to find around here, I am told it is high quality. Is there any other brand anyone would recommend trying?

Thanks.
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I believe that Winchester is preferred but also more expensive. May be worth a try.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Jc92073
New User

I noticed that, the price is amost double when you can find it online.
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If memory serves(always a big question), the Winchester and the Fiocchi ammo have nearly identical velocity ratings.

You should be able to get your Luger to function on Fiocchi ammo, but we all know that Lugers can be very ammo sensitive......and mag sensitive also. My 1921 DWM in 30 Luger did NOT like the Mec-Gar mag that I purchased for it. Even changing out the mag spring to a +10% rating did not help. They can be very frustrating. Is your firing pin spring a new one? Does the extractor work smoothly when lifted by finger pressure?
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Schutzenbob
User

I bought a Mec–Gar magazine recently for my 30 luger, and at first I had the same problems you’re having. I then noticed that one of the lips of the magazine was straighter than the other, so I bent it inward just slightly, so that both were the same angle, and it hasn’t missed a beat since.
Schutzenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Schutzenbob for your post:
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Jc92073
New User

I was inspecting the Mec-gar magazine, the top of the follower is not machined very smooth, it has groves that run side to side. I wonder if that could be causing extra drag. Although it should only really hurt the last round, not the ones before it. I will check the angles and see if they are the same.