LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-23-2004, 03:18 AM   #1
Snafu63092
User

Post My friends Luger, need ID help please.

Hey guys, I'm new here but a regular at some of the other gunboards around...I think this is best posted here but I'll give you links to the other sites I posted this one so you can see what was said already..

http://www.pre-ban.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17894

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=277180

http://www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimat...;f=18;t=003222

http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2573

My friend got this gun from his grandfathers friend and wants to know if it is worth anything or how much it might be worth, also any info you can tell about it would be great. The mag seems to be rusted in the gun, I can't get it out but the action works and you can **** it and dry fire it....I don't even know what caliber it would be...

The holster is marked Franz Cobau Berlin 1935

You can see where the spare mag is held to the right of the pic but inside is a little pouch with some kind of tool...

Here is the tool...

Here is the spare mag

Here is the gun...there are a few markings on it...right on top of the reciever where the barrell starts is 1911, then the action has some really fancy intials (maybe the guns owner at one time?) DWA..the number 33 is on it in 2 places....the number7633 which I think is the serial number and then it has 3 fancy symbols that I can't really make out one looks like that tiger with his paws in the air like I've seen on a Dutch flag or something?

Snafu63092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
jamese
User

Snafu63092,
Welcome to the forum

Based on you description and the photos provided it appears that your friend has a 1911 WWI, DWM military issue P08.

The gun also was reissued to a Police unit post war as evidenced by the Police holster and sear safety.

Most likely the gun is 9mm.

There are some other questions I have

(1) Are there any marking on the front grip strap of the gun ?

(2) Are there any markings on the front of the frame and under the barrel ?

(3) What are the markings on the bottom of both mags ?

(4) Are there any markings on the tool ?

If the set is a matching police combo, it would be worth more than just an accumulation of mis-matched pieces, but the gun looks to be in rough shape which would greatly reduce the value.

Perhaps someone who collects Police lugers cares to speculate as to the value in its current state.

Jim
Unread 09-23-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
policeluger
RIP

63092...a modle 1908, in as you said poor condition, perhaps in the $600 range...from pictures looks poor condition, I will be passing through LV this Sunday on my way hunting...if we could meet for a just a few minutes I could give you a better apperisal...besat of luck.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
Snafu63092
User

The number on the bottom of the spare mag is 4187, the number on the mag stuck in the gun is 7633, the latter numbers are stamped bigger than the first. There are no numbers whatsoever on the front of the grip, the markings on the barrell right near the frame are 7633, right under that a lowercase d and under that a 8,82. The markings on the tool are on one side a capital F and on the other side the number 1385. The gun is in poor shape, I'd wonder if it would be worth having someone try and restore it. Does a gun this old require and FFL to be shipped as with modern firearms?

Policeluger, I'd gladly meet with you whenever you want, just let me know when and where.
Unread 09-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #5
Snafu63092
User

Double tap...sorry.
Unread 09-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
policeluger
RIP

Yes your gun will require a dealer transfer, I am sending you a PM with my info and cell #, so please check you PM's
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Thor
User

Robert, Please consider TLSS if you decide to have it restored. Deep pitting can be TIG weld filled during the process.
Here is an example of our work. Email contact is Thor340@aol.com I have another client named Robert Jenning that lives in Las Vegas that could show you several Lugers I have restored for him if you are interested. Thanks

915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2004, 08:17 PM   #8
Snafu63092
User

Wow, that restored one is unbelieveable.....nice work! PM's sent to both of you.