LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 10-02-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
JimStanley
User

Post ammo info question

Hello:

I'm in need of knowledgeable info on ammo storage
I live in Canada in the Prov. where I live an individual was given an 8 month jail, term fot NOT informing the fire dept. that he had ammo and reloading powder when a fire broke out in his home
this alerted me and other shooters to take all my ammo and store in outside in the garden shed
My question is will storing this ammo outside in an roofed shed but no heat etc damage the ammo dur to the elements humidity we are moving into winter and I do not want to hartd this ammo
Can anyone please tell me if this is harmful/ and if they have any ideas how to store or protect this from damage

Thank You In Advance
JimStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2002, 07:13 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Jim, there are lots of ways to protect ammo.

Buy old US (or I assume Canadian) ammo cans. These seal fairly well, keeping out moisture and can be locked by attaching a hasp to the side. Some of the ammo cans also have rubber seals that would work even better.

You can also buy survivalist containers that are completely water-proof.

With the heat, then cold, then heat of being in a shed, I would expect ammo to not last as long, but easily should be fine for a few years to longer. My ammo is out in the wood shop, unheated / cooled and I am not worried about it.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2002, 09:57 AM   #3
unspellable
User

Is this another example of idiot laws? Smnokeless powder or ammo is not one tenth of one percent of the fire hazard the can of gas you have for your lawnmower is.

Cooked off ammo that is not confined in a chamber will not give the bullet enough velocity to penetrate an ordinary corrugated card board box. This has been demonstrated many times by the simple expedient of firing off a round in a box and then finding the bullet still inside the box.

Powder in the container will burn with a whoosh, but that's about it. You've already set the house on fire.

One suspects these laws are passed by ignoramuses at the instigation of those with ulterior motives.

Cooking of a round in the chamber of a firearm is another story. Don't leave a loaded revolver in the night stand when you're away from home.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote