LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 05-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #61
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The Internet has become a provider of "electronic courage", it enables many to thump their chest and say things they would not dare to face to face.
It allows mice to roar.....

Last edited by alanint; 05-18-2011 at 03:02 PM.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #62
Imperial Arms
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Albert's 1906 Portuguese Royal Navy is a world class 100% correct piece and I believe it to be the finest surviving example.

With regard to the comprehension of the use of the word "ignorant", in its vernacular use it, rightly or wrongly, carries the connotation of stupid. I would suggest that "uninformed" might be a better and more polite expression. "Close-minded" is just a personal opinion and reflects a unwarranted bias...in my opinion

I disagree that there was a rush to judgement on the 1900 Commercial. Careful analysis of the first photos presented indicated that it is incorrect and has elements of an attempt to forge a more rare and valuable piece.
Ok, for those 'uninformed collectors'.....
'Close-minded'....how about 'with narrow vision'?

Ron, your such an 'officer and a gentleman'

I do not understand the reason for a person to add a number '20' on the left side of the chamber of the M1900 Commercial in an attempt to forge a more rare and valuable Luger - it is a stupid mistake if the intent was to make a forgery. The added number '20' would not give any weight/benefit to it being a test piece in Portugal in my opinion. Therefore, it would probably have a different meaning and whoever tried to 'forged' this Luger was actually making a mistake and devaluing the item. Instead, I would have stamped a Portugese circle-triangle proof on the pistol even though it is stamped 'Germany'.

Thanks for your praise of my M1906 PRN Luger.

Cheers,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #63
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Albert,
As with most forgeries, a fake only fools the uninformed. If you didn't know the exact details of a so called "Portuguese test Luger" other than it has a large two-digit number on the left receiver and were unaware of the proper serial number range you might become a victim. They might be trite statements but "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and "the uninformed are the easy prey of the forger" are non-the-less true. Not all forgers are smart and not all forgeries are clever and well executed. Sometimes just small juicy details are enough to trap the unwary.
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #64
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Albert
Now that's a very special luger. Nice!!! Bill
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #65
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Despite "cultural differences" in the use of the english language by the vairous international members here, I wish to thank you all (especially the original poster Pepe, and my friends Ron Wood and Albert Beliard) for the photographs and the lively discussion which has been an education of the less informed members here on both Luger history and variation differences... (and less informed includes ME ! ) ...and also my long time and dear friend Ed Tinker for a massive display of restraint!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #66
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Another rounded off sideplate???? What gives here? Can someone explain this abnormality?

RON?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #67
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Another rounded off sideplate???? What gives here? Can someone explain this abnormality?

RON?
Actually Norme explained it back a few posts. Albert's Luger is a Model 1906...only 1900s and 1902s have a square side plate.
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #68
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Well..you learn something everyday if your not careful.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #69
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Careful Ron, Albert's Gun isn't just a Model 1906, it's a M1906 Portuguese Royal Navy Contract Luger. I got in trouble that way. Best regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #70
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

If you haven't gotten in trouble with Albert, you probably have very little to contribute to a spirited debate. Welcome to the club!

P.S. This is not a slam at Albert...he is a good guy, just stubborn and a little short on tact.
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #71
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Ben, there is a big difference at sharing a few photos of your guns on your own site where no one can comment on them and having them in a posting for comment by fellow collectors.

In reality, there are very few members willing to do so.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #72
Imperial Arms
Banned

Quote:
If you haven't gotten in trouble with Albert, you probably have very little to contribute to a spirited debate. Welcome to the club!

P.S. This is not a slam at Albert...he is a good guy, just stubborn and a little short on tact.
My friend Ron knows me quite well even though he and I have had a couple of different opinions in the past on some particular areas - which is fare enough. The differences and debates that we have exchanged have always been respectful and most often with good spirit. I welcome the discussions based on common sense and logic, but not those topics which have ties to some bad individuals who have a different agenda. Sometimes I cannot figure out the stupidity of those 'experts' and those collectors who wish to believe it based on unfounded information, therefore, I tend to become 'stubborn' in accepting their views which can be outlandish.

I may not always use the proper words like my friend Ron, so sometimes other people may interprete it as an 'insult' which is usually not my intention, unless someone wishes to attack me. To the person who called me a 'jughead', that is an insult to me, but I do not need to explain why I have more knowledge about German pistols than compared to him. Since I am open to education and for the quest of more knowledge (and finding those pistols as well) after 28 years in the hobby, I shall accept my mistakes when made and afterwards search for the reasons why I was wrong.

My position has always been to share information with fellow collectors and often I enjoy chatting with the 'newbies' who will one day replace us in our society. With the availability of cheap or free internet telephony, I have even taken the time to call some of those people to have a chat. I am not arrogant or rude as some people may say, on the other hand, I am quite a likable guy if you know me well who wants to have a good conversation and a laugh. Over the many years, I have gone pretty far always keeping my reputation and honesty at the highest level, and I shall maintain this level with those people who want to share it with me.

Happy hunting,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Imperial Arms for your post:
Unread 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #73
pepe
User

Hello friends

.A gun whith 72 post in the Lugerforum a is always interesting object !!
Meanwhile I dismantled it and I'll post some pictures of the marks I encountered.
Do you agree the numbers are all false?

thanks
pepe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6385.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	19272  

Name:	IMG_6387.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	19273  

Name:	IMG_6388.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	19274  

Name:	IMG_6390.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	19275  

Name:	IMG_6394.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	19276  

Last edited by pepe; 11-27-2018 at 05:32 PM.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 03:02 AM   #74
pepe
User

Ron
Can i have your opinion om my last post ?
regards
~pepe

Last edited by pepe; 11-27-2018 at 05:31 PM.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #75
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Pepe, it is 1 AM where Ron lives, so in the morning he will see it

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #76
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Pepe,
I agree that the numbers are all false. It appears that the entire gun, except for the trigger, has been renumbered. I have a 1900 Commercial, #3453, which is not very far from the serial number of your gun. The numbers "4" and "5" are common to both guns and it is clear that the font on your gun is incorrect. Also, the numbers "1" and "4" should have a lower serif or "foot" which your gun does not have. If you look at the number on the trigger of your gun, you can see what the "4" should look like, and the small "1" inspector's mark on the under side of the toggle knob is what the "1" in the serial number should look like.
Unread 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #77
Douglas Jr.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
Thank very much for all the opinians

But the discussion was to tecnical for me and poor english !

Can someone give me some kind of conclusion ?The gun is a is a Collectible or a Shooter?

This it worth 1000 dollars ?
regards
pepe

PS (sorry for my english )
Pepe,

Eu sou brasileiro e posso lhe ajudar.
A pistola foi restaurada, com algumas modificações que lhe retiram o valor como item de coleção para os mais puristas. Seria, portanto, uma "shooter" e não valeria os mil dólares pedidos.

Contudo, é preciso ver que a maioria dos membros deste fórum se baseiam em critérios que nem sempre são universais. As vezes as particularidades de determinados "mercados" faz com certas regras sejam deixadas de lado a fim de possibilitar que alguém monte uma coleção. É o que acontece na Inglaterra, por exemplo, onde as armas são obrigatoriamente desativadas - assim, eles precisam montar suas coleções admitindo essa limitação que, em outros lugares (como nos Estados Unidos) acaba condenando a peça.

Eu não sei qual a realidade do mercado português, mas pense nisso.

Boa sorte!

Douglas
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Douglas Jr. for your post:
Unread 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #78
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:

For those of us who have not read Albert's abbreviated bio, it can be found here -

http://luger.gunboards.com/showpost....6&postcount=59
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #79
LugerVern
User

Hi Pepe

You have an interesting gun, yes it has been restored and as such will drive collectors crazy with speculations.

Many consider a restored gun to be a fake no matter what the quality, it is hard to discuss possibilities with thoes who see things only in that light.

Your gun has several issues, Ron says the numbers are not correct and I agree with him, but this is common to many restorations

What is the 20 number? It could be an inventory number from a school, a police department, a special security guard force, guns hand selected for a special purpose from a larger batch. It could have a dozen or so reasons for being.

I would try and find some connection, go back as far as you can in its history of ownership, you might find the answer.

The made in Germany stamp is not just a one way stamp, often we find guns that have come originally to the USA and then back overseas. We sometimes forget that we had marketers who would have sold guns not to just the USA but to oversea contacts as well had the opportunity given itself.

It was all about making money.

Don't give up on your gun, it is very nice to look at and could have some historical importance. You may never be able to prove it however.

I noticed something in one of your pictures that I did find interesting, there is what appears to be the remnant of a Crown B at about the one o'clock position near the 20.
Hard to see but I think something is there.

Thanks for posting Pepe! always interesting

Vern
Attached Images

LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #80
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Vern,
I believe your observation is quite possible as there appears to be the remnants of a crown at that location. It would seem appropriate for a gun of this vintage.