LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Closed Thread
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
erndog105
User

Default My 1900 American Eagle Test

This is my new AE Test. It is a beauty. Ill share the appraisal shortly. Give you a chance to see if I wasted my money on the appraisal.
Left side

Right side

The Eagle

Safety

Grip
[IMG]
Serial Number
[IMG]
Pin
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

erndog,

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it is , in my opinion, almost 110% certain that your gun is a re-do. Nopatina, no holster wear, no nothing that would indicate issue to the Army of which I was a member for a long, long time.

Tom A
Unread 06-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Eric, Esq, Ill bet anything yours is legit, Lets start with you most striking simularity, the grip, There exactly no wear, have the 3 color striations, as mine. I own nuber 6786, ITS a shame, There were test guns that were sent and then sold to individuals, There no wear, becaure there we some never distribted or stored away, Mine has never seen a holster, either, please send me you email adddress, and Tom, Ill send you mine, Rememer, you we also the one that claimed, my Aberchrombie & finch was fake, Even when I had a leading Leather Restorer in Chicago certified, it was legit.re legit. 'Thou shalt not covet the neiighbors luger, Please send me your closup for a profession evaluation, Snookem13@aol.com Tom ill send you my test, for comparison,
Unread 06-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

TOM, You forgot the RESTRAWING, another fake?
Unread 06-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
erndog105
User

Default Not all correct

Unfortunately, the gun is not all correct. Before I got the appraisal, I suspected it but was still dissappointed when it was varified. It made me ask myself "why am I collecting?" I have no friends who collect so they are not impressed. In fact, they are probably more impressed with my new weed eater then my guns. I buy guns for one purpose, to take to the range and do with them what they were made for, Shoot.
The seller offered to re-sell for me but not buy back. I did not feel it was right to get him to sell it to another unsuspecting sole and I still like the gun, it is a true test and that does make it special for me, and it really is good looking.
Have not decided if I will take it to the range, but I am leaning that way.

Here is the appraisal.

I am working on replacing the grips and the seller did replace the magazine. This is the one he sent me. What do you think? Is it a 1900?
Mag

Mag
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

FIRST, Its a beautiful gun, The only thing missing that a tiny marking,I can see, is that the magazine bottom, is lacking resembling a 'flaming bomb' which you can replace, Please, Please wait a month, before you part with your pretty, Heck, I would buy it from you, if I havent already place a deposit on my next luger, Please send me an email, so we can talk in private. or call me Eric, Esq 772-336-5312
Unread 06-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
wdavid431
User

I would not care, it is still a Luger and a nice one to boot. Just keep it and enjoy it would be my suggestion.
Unread 06-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ernest, Your luger has all the attritbutes of an original US test piece, so I would bet the it is a test gun, and even if professionally restore by one of the best, it will continue to appreciate over the years. TH
Unread 06-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
erndog105
User

Thanks all for the encouraging words. It is a beauty and I do plan on keeping it. Lugerdoc is sending me 1900 grips so at least it will be all 1900, as long as the new mag is authentic.
Unread 06-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi EW,

Could you post other photos of your magazine...

1. Showing both sides of the full tubes.

2. Showing both sides of the wood (from side views) including the retainer pins.

BTW...when your dealings with your seller are 100% completed, it might help others if you shared whom that outfit is.

If this piece was sold as "factory original" to you and you have that in writing or emails and you paid a commensurate price, the seller should have done more that just agree to take it back on consignment sales.

A threat from you to "expose" their name publically and other legal actions might encourage them to grant you a full refund...but then the gun will just go back into inventory and sold to the next unfortunate...

Or you may decide to let this be your "lesson learned" gun. We all have them in our collections.

Folks that say they do not are lying, in denial, or have sold theirs off to the next unfortunate...

A certain M1902 FB Luger went that way between collector "friends" and was metioned here on the LF by its current owner in an old posting. The selling "friend" was even arrogant enough to offer to buy the $ 6500 gun back for $ 1000...what a "friend", huh ???

On your gun, one area that may typically indicate a rework is the area just below the toggle lock on the right frame rail :

Here is one that fits my "comfort level" a bit more :

Unread 06-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
erndog105
User

Thanks Pete. I am out of town for a week but will post better pictures of mag when I get home. Regarding the seller, his name has been mentioned both pro and con her before and you even warned me about him. Since others have voiced negative opinions about him, I will let sleeping dogs lie. My desire for a AE Test just got the best of me and it is a good lesson learned, and I can comfortably live with the out come.
Unread 06-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi EW,

Then the best thing is to take her out to the range and enjoy years of shooting pleasures...!!!

I take my "lesson learned" gun out to the range 2-3 times a year and shoot 200-300 round each time. Sort of makes me forget the money-thing, all together...

Unread 06-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

erndog, who was the seller? The line "I'll resell it for you" sounds all too familiar. If the pistol was misrepresented to you, it works to the best interest of all collectors to know who sold it.
Unread 06-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Please email me, so I can show you, my wooden grips, several strizations, a most beautiful wood you find or nor seen elsewhere, My advice, put it under your bed, Im sure your opinion will change, I havent see one,so clean not so nice,as mine, ever posted and if and when you decide to sell, drop me a line, Eric 'snookem13@aol.com'
Unread 06-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

AE Test Luger #6458 was listed for sale by Randy Bessler in Dec '97 and I did not record the condition. It subsequently was offered by Ralph Shattuck in '99 and the condition was listed as "very good" with a price of $2000.
Unread 06-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #16
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Eric, I just took closeup of the wooden grip, that are almost identical. I woud gladly supply my pictures, I havennt seen such beautiful grain and color, even on my 1920 Luger Carbine, in 9mm

I have to correct tom, with his coNclusion, that your gun has been reblued. for lack of holster wear, Some never saw a holster, Most of the one chosen by Bannerman, Never were issued, and were later sold as is, those extras, were sold to various individuals, and stored years to be passed on a sold, Tom, Mine is a prime example, and Ive proved, at least one holster, showing minimal wear,AND BECAUSE THEY A BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLES OF AMERICAN HISTORY, THERE CAN BE A FEW OF THE THOUSAND SURVIVED, UNSCAWED.
Unread 06-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #17
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

oNE LAST COMPLIMENT, Your photography is surperb, Debbie just bought me a new kodak share, 10 zoom,Maybe else where, could you relay some hints
Unread 06-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #18
Tomathvl
User

EW,
You paid for an appraisal that said the gun was worth $2500 TO $3500 as a restoration. You know what you paid for the gun and if it's in that ball park you did OK. If however, you paid much more than that you really should do something about getting your money back. I agree with Pete regarding steps you can take. Don't let some SOB intimidate you into keeping something that is not worth what you paid. Screw the theory about Luger school being expensive, you have the evidence in hand with an appraisal to go after the scum sucking low life that sold it to you.
Just my 2 cents,
Tom
Unread 06-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #19
Navy
RIP

Eric,

You need to do some more research. Your statements concerning the issue or non-issue of the test guns is simply incorrect. The disposition of those guns once the Army recieved them is well documented.

Tom A
Unread 06-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #20
Pete Ebbink
User

Here is another photo I "lifted" off Bob Simpson's site...showing this right toggle lock area in much finer detail :

Eric,

Since we hear so much about your new M1900 Test piece, could you post up a similar photo of this area on your gun ?
Closed Thread