LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
52m37
New User

Default Barrel replacement question

In 1974 i purchase a 1937, S/42 code luger from a friend. the Luger was a bring back by his father, a WWII vet. All prts have matching numbers, except magazine. The bluing is 95% and the straw is 95-98%. Now the problem...when I got the gun the barrel had been hacksawed off to about 1 inch.

I had the barrel replaced by a local 'gunsmith'. In the process he heated the reciever in order to remove the old barrel. This resulted in discoloration of the bluing around the date mark. I kow that this and replacing the barrel will reduce it value (a shame as it is a VERY clean Luger otherwise).

Would heating the breech area in this way render the gun unsafe?

I have fired it and it shoots very well. i am in the process of selling it and want to be sure it is safe.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hal
52m37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Hal, welcome to the Lugerforum... it would all depend on how much heat was applied to the receiver as to whether or not the heat treatment was affected... If it was only done by a qualified gunsmith with a propane torch in an attempt to loosen the barrel threads, the chances are that the Luger is fine... bu there will always be a question unless the hardness of the steel is measured or the gun is proof tested...

You are correct that the collector value of this gun has been destroyed... You should have the gun checked by a gunsmith qualified to make the steel hardness determination...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
52m37
New User

John:
Thank you. Can you suggest someone who could do the hardness test and/or the proof test?
Hal
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
52m37
New User

Default Qualified Gunsmith

Can someone suggest a qualified gunsmith who could test the hardness of the steel and/or proof test my Luger?
Thanks,
Hal
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Hal. you can proof test your own Luger, but there is no small amount of risk involved... first you have to do some reseach and come up with a load to duplicate the pressure and shock of a couple of industry proof rounds...Once you have loaded them, make sure you mark them with indelible marker so that you don't get them mixed up with ordinary ammo and fire them in a gun not intended for them...

Then the gun has to be mounted in the equivilent of a Ransom Rest and fired safely from a remote distance... If the gun stays in one piece after firing a couple proof rounds, then it should be fine...

But since you had a licensed gunsmith replace the barrel, I hope he knows that he holds liability for the safety of his work... If he replaced this barrel so that you could shoot this Luger... then you should be fine... If the barrel replacement was only to restore its original look... then I would beware... The gunsmith who took on the job of replacing this barrel should be able to tell you if it is safe to shoot...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
52m37
New User

John:
Thank you for taking the time to respond again.
I had the barrel replaced over 30 years ago and i am not even sure where the gunsmith is now. I know he replaced it so it would shoot and he test fired it ans 'zeroed' it in as he staked the front sight, and it shoots very well. I was not concerned about it , and have fired it. I am wanting to sell the Luger and the prospective buyer had some concer when he saw the discolored bluing around the breech, and rightfully so. Before I sell this Luger I want to be sure no one will be hurt.

I am not a reloader so would need to find someone to do this for me.

I will keep looking and perhaps can find someone with the equipment to make me up a few proof rounds.
Thanks again.
Hal