LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 01-02-2006, 02:13 AM   #1
Big Norm
RIP

Default My 'New' 1902 Fat Barrel AE

I just bought a 1902 American Eagle "Fat Barrel" as a personnel Christmas to myself. I am talking to number of people now about a digital camera and so I hope to have some pictures soon (hopefully). There is not much information in either Stills or Kenyon regarding this Luger so I want to ask a few questions here.

My Luger is sorta unusual in that instead of the usual two digit seral numbers on all the parts there is the last three digits on most parts of this gun. Only the trigger and locking bolt have the last two digits of the serial number. The thumb safety does not have a serial number on it. But there are three digit serial numbers all over the place. I have never seen the last three digit serial number on parts on any other Luger. Is this normal?

The only useful information that Kenyon supplies is that some of these guns are proofed and some are not. My gun is late in the latter segment of the production and is not proofed. Is this proper for my gun?

The grips that came with the gun are not original to the gun and are pretty messed up and not of the same condition as the gun. The gun is pretty nice looking and has not been messed with. I would put its bluing at about 93% or so and the straw in the high 80%. I want to put proper grips on this gun that would be appropriate for its condition. But I have been told that there are very slight differences between the 1900 and 1906 AE grips. I have some 1900 and 1906 grips and would like to know which, if either, would be right for this Luger?

As soon as I get a digital camera and learn how to use it, the Adobe Photoshop that I just acquired and my scanner printer I will post lotsa pictures along with doing a lot of bragging.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Norm,

A -very- merry Christmas to you!

1900AE #13499 has three-digit numbers on small parts. Not unknown, it would be really interesting to know how common this really is. Also, I've never been sure about this, but I think you have to dismount the safety lever to see the number on the thumb safety on a commercial Luger.

I have no 1902AE Fat Barrels with proofs until about #23000. This is not definitive, of course. You didn't say what the serial# of your gun is

Can't wait until you start braggin'...

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Happy New Year Dwight & Norm,
I have a friend who has a 1900 AE with 3 digits on most of the small parts. I am sure he would have no problem with pictures if that would help.
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Mike, we would love to see another thread on your friends Fat Barrel!

Norm, I look forward to your picture excursion Call me once you get the camera and I'll walk you through using it.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Norm, The M1902 commerical luger would follow the standard serialization of the period, with no numbers on the safety lever & hold open, and the side plate & TD lever will be numbered on the lower edge, and the center toggle link will be numbered internally. I have seen these with either 2 or 3 digits or mixed on most of the numbered parts. TH
Unread 01-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Norm,
The right grip is different between a 1900 and a 1906. The 1900 right grip has a wide rib that runs nearly the full length of the rear of the grip. It starts at the curved section at the bottom and runs up to within about 3/8" from the top. The 1906 has a short thin rib because of the change to a coil spring. It starts at the same place as a 1900 but only runs up as far as the web in the frame that supports the recoil lever assembly. So, a 1906 grip will work on a 1900 (or 1902) frame but a 1900 grip will not work on a 1906 frame.
Cheers,
Ron

P.S. Congrats on getting an '02. A landmark gun, and one that deserves to be in your collection.
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

Thank you everyone. Except for the grips, I am really happy with my prize. Especially after I saw the prices on the two that Simpson is selling. I got a good deal.

Ron, thanks for the information. The only 1906 AE that I have has 'Ideal' grips on it. I'll take a look at some Portugese M2's that I have to see what you are talking about. I think they are model 1906's. What about the checkering? Is there a difference there? I also just looked at my gun and it has a flat spring just like the 1900's. If I can't find a good 1900 set of grips, maybe I can modify a P-08 set. There seems to be only a slight difference in the left grip because of the grip safety. I gotta study that a bit more. This gun is just too good to be sitting there without grips on it. I have many nice, unnumbered, original P-08 grips that I could work with.

Th, I was afraid that someone would say that the serial number is under the thumb safety. I really hate taking that apart.

Dwight, I was reluctent to say my serial number. But hell, I'm among friends. My serial number is 22970. My gun looks better then the gun pictured in Kenyons book too (brag! brag! I love it) Maybe if Stills comes out with a new book, he will include this gun next time. Maybe he will ask me for pictures and I will become famous for being in his book. (Hee! Hee!)

Ed, I have shot of my mouth to number of people now and I think that I know what I should be looking for on a digital camera. Keep tuned. Wait till JohnD sees my new, minty, 'P' code HK. He will be awe struck. Maybe he will ask me for pictures of that gun in his book. I may be doubly famous. Autographs anyone?
Big Norm
Unread 01-03-2006, 01:30 AM   #8
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Norm,

Thanks for the serial#. You could have told me privately...yours is 100 guns below the first c/BUG proofed Fat Barrel I have documented.

Take a good look at the inside of the left grip, a grip-safety grip is inletted quite a bit compared to the P-08 style.

A Fat Barrel -and- a new Krieghoff! A terrific new year in the Big Norm household!

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 03:57 AM   #9
Big Norm
RIP

Dwight,
I feel a little edgy about the HK. It is very minty and minty Luger make me wonder if its been expertly redone. I might be going to the Ohio Gun Collectors Assn meeting Jan 7-8 to have Doug Smith of FGS take a look at it. I am waiting for Ken to get back with me to tell me if Doug is going to be there. When I Emailed Ken earlier, he told me that maybe Doug would be going to Germany and might miss that show. I'll skip the show if Doug isn't going to be there. Its a six hour drive in possibly bad weather and I have a lot of work to do around the house. I also recently purchased another 1914 DWM artillery with unit marks and so I am eager to show Doug that one too.

Just a very quick look at the left grip of a 1900 and a P-08 shows a humb on the P-08 at about the area where the inside of the grip comes in contact with the grip safety. But this was a quick look see. First, I will try the right hand grip to see if there are any unforseen problems. If that works, then I will take a real close look at the left hand side. If I do a good job of removing that little hump and then restain, it MIGHT work. I might have to sacrific a nice unnumbered set of original P-08 grips. That hurts. I haven't seen any difference on the outside checkering between a 1900 and a P-08. But I will also take a better look at this later. Right now, I must select a set of grips from a bunch that I have whose wear matches the wear on the gun. Heck, I gotta take a closer look in my treasure chest drawer to double check whether or not I already have a set of 1900 grips hidden in there. Somewhere in the back of my pea sized brain I have this notion that the 1900 AE that I have the 'Ideal' grips on actually came with original grips. In that case, I am golden.
Big Norm
Unread 01-03-2006, 04:21 AM   #10
maddog350gt
User

Norm,

Congratulations on your 02 Fat barrel, it's one of the goals I have for the future. You might want to look for a set of Swiss grips; I see them every once in a while on e-bay and elsewhere. They should be milled for the grip safety. I think any of the early Swiss grips could be adapted for your frame. Obviously you would want to stay away from the grips with the boarder on them. I have a restored 1906 Navy that has a set of new old stock Swiss grips, they look great.

Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Norm,
It would take quite a bit of modification to a P08 left grip to work with a grip safety. As Dwight has indicated, the back of the grip is routed out the full length of the grip safety, so there is more to it than just removing a hump. If you do have a set of 1900 grips, they will work fine. If not, I have a set of excellent quality repro 1906 grips that will also work that you might be interested in. Let me know and I will send you a PM with the particulars.
Ron
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Norm, In addition to the inside milling of orig grips being different than PO8 grips, the number of lines of checkering became fewer at DWM about 1914. So any grips after that will be too "course". TH
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #13
hqbmw
User

Norm,

We both must have been good all year 'cause Santa brought us both the same Christmas gifts.

I bought my very special HK (P 59) for my Christmas present and at the SAR show here in Phoenix, I found a 1900 AE among the machine guns! I'm trying to fiqure out what I did last year to be blessed with both of these so I can do a repeat performance this year.

Congratulations on your new aquisitions!

Jack Hiles
Mesa AZ
Unread 01-05-2006, 05:13 AM   #14
Big Norm
RIP

Jack,
I think that the kinda good that I did during the past year wasn't the kinda good that the good Lord wanted me to be good at. So there were times that he wooped on me. Then He must have decided that I had enough and backed off in the last few days of the year and allowed me some good luck. I'll happily take what He gives me.
Big Norm
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #15
hqbmw
User

Norm

I have been wooped on pretty bad myself this past year, but like you, the last days sure turned out nice. I look forward to sharing my toys with you and all The Forum and comparing side by side someday.

Jack
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #16
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Big Norm and Jack, that is why we have friends, so when we get whomped, we can complain about it and have our friends say its okay.

Jack; its ok

Big Norm, its ok

Ed
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #17
hqbmw
User

Ed,

The benefits fo The Forum are just endless, aren't they?

Jack
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #18
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

its helped me after being whomped
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 01-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #19
Big Norm
RIP

Well, the good news is that a very highly respected member of this forum has just sold me a repro set of proper grips. If this man says that these grips are good and proper, then I unquestionably accept them. While the straps on this gun show some wear, I believe that this gun is just too good to allow it to sit there naked, without the grips.

Now I can continue my search for a proper digital camera with which I can show everybody my prize and brag like crazy. I now have a good idea of what I am going to look for in a camera, all I have to do is find it in the stores. I just hope that I can find my tripod for the pictures.

The bad news is that Doug Smith will not be at the OGCA meeting this weekend, so I will not be able to take that minty HK 'P' code and get his opinion on that Luger. Now that I am out of cash, that was the only real reason for going. But not to worry, the stock market and my stocks are going up and so I may soon be out there again, looking for treasure.
Big Norm
Unread 03-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #20
Pete Ebbink
User

My friend, Big Norm, was brave enough to bring this AE Fat Barrel along to the recent SOS show to get others' opinions on the piece.

Along with such bravery does come the risk of receiving some bad news, though.

Several advanced collectors and one prominent dealer whom had a chance to see the FB in person seemed to agree this was a nicely done refinished piece and Norm shared it came out of the certain MN luger shop.

I shared my observations with Norm on this piece as well. I was most troubled by the lack of "cut" of the polished safety area and that the new polished area was a bit "fuzzy" in shape and maybe a bit too narrow as well. The straw also did not look like it was 100+ years old as well. There were no "halos" on the Germany stamping if I recall.

This is difficult news for a luger collector to receive, but Norm did other, less-experienced collectors a great service by bringing this piece "out in the light of day", allowing advanced collectors a chance to critique it and letting the beginning collectors around the table a chance to learn. And to know the supplier of this piece.

My thanks to Norm for this !!!
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote