LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-08-2002, 11:41 AM   #1
Raistlinma

Default 1900 American Eagle

I have recently recieved a what I believe is a 1900 American Eagle. Its serial number is 13906 and has an American Eagle on the top. The only thing that confuses me is above the eagle there is a Star of David I believe. Does that sound right? Any way the luger is in gret condition. My grandpa said he took it from a german officer in WWII after he killed him. It is fireable and shoots very well. Any idea on the value. I have had couple local retailers say between 4 an 7 thousand depending on who is collecting it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Unread 03-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: 1900 American Eagle

Hello Raistlinma,

Of course everything depends on rairity and condition of the gun.

American Eagles are very rare and expensive (the 4-7 thousand), if they are of the test guns from the American Tests on deciding if they wanted to adopt the Luger as its handgun.

The Star of David is unlikely, and I would venture impossible on a German Officers gun. That could make sense if the gun had been sent to Isreal after the war, but not from being captured from a German Officer.

If you can scan in or take a picture of your Luger, sides, top, etc., that would make a huge difference in being able to judge worth or value.

With a few exceptions, any mismatching of luger parts, brings the price down dramatically.

I looked at an American Eagle last weekend for $825, another for $1200 and an actual test gun for $2,500. The 1st and 3rd in good shape, the 1,200 in fairly nice shape. Ralph Shattuck has them on his web page.

It is possible, but unlikly that an American Eagle would end back up in Germany and used by a German Officer. Nothing is impossible, there are many instances of US citizens going back to the motherland and serving with the German Gov't, but I find it unlikley that an American Eagle would end up back in Germany.

I don't mean to sound negative, just that there are lots of variables with this Luger.

Some further information, markings, pictures, etc., would help some of the experts in determining your Luger.

Ed

Unread 03-08-2002, 01:12 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Not the star of David... but 13 stars!

Default Re: Not the star of David... but 13 stars!

nice picture john

Unread 03-08-2002, 08:05 PM   #5
Johnny Peppers
User

Raistlinma,

Does it have GERMANY stamped on it, most probably on the front of the frame near the serial number?

Unread 03-09-2002, 12:32 AM   #6
Raistlinma

Yes it does have germany. The blue is in I would say 96 - 98 % Grandpa swears it was taken off of a German Officer after he killed him.

Unread 03-09-2002, 07:06 AM   #7
Marvin
User

Raistlinma,

I have read somewhere that there were a few American Eagle Lugers that were diverted to commercial sale in Germany and this one could be one of those, so it is logical that your grandpa is correct. I can also understand that most folks would have a tough time beliving that it was taken from a German soldier. Strange things have happened in the past and a manufacturer was in business to make guns for sale, not to provide future collectible for us today.

Marvin

Unread 03-09-2002, 10:26 AM   #8
66mustang

Default Very true Marvin :)

money is the name of the game and sometimes we forget that DWM, Mauser etc., were in the game to make money and sometimes guns were diverted. I just read last night that a bunch of Dutch psitols were diverted by the Germans and issued as Nazi guns. yest the "Rust" was left on the frame.

I actually feel that many of these wild stories (maybe 10 out of 100) are true, but with the other 90 being just wild, fabricated, etc., (Tim's story of the Battle of the Bulge soldier that was 8 or 9 when the battles were fought...), it makes it hard to believe anything.

Ed