LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts
Default How and why Guns explode.

Many years ago I bought a Luger outside a bar on the wrong side of town from a down on his luck gentleman. Cost - $20.00

I remembering thinking "will this gun explode" when I fire it.
I took it home and thoroughly cleaned and checked the gun out.
I removed a lot of rust and pitting, checked for cracks along the rail (the good old tuning fork check) and replaced the take-down lever spring and the hold-open latch (the gun didn't have one).
I checked the barrel as much as I could ... it had a bright shiny bore with excellent lands and grooves ... I was kinda surprised by this but pleased.
The barrel was a replacement and had a target style sight ... I think it had once been someones proud little shooter project.
The gun is a marriage of 2 Guns ... the frame is DWM (3003-h) & the receiver is a 1938 Mauser (6879) with the trigger bar being the only other mismatch (91)

Still I have to tell you that I was very nervous the 1st time I fired it.

But it was phenomenal ... tight groupings with zero feed or misfire problems ... I had the foresight to use a new MecGar mag.

I don't have any 'before' pictures (mores the pity) but here she is after I cleaned her up... million dollar chip and all.
Long since gone but still in my memory.

The point of this post is someone was NOT so lucky ... Scott @ Kentucky Ballistics ... and so i present this sobering video followed by an excellent educational and informative video by Ian McCallum @ Forgotten Weapons.

My 50 Cal Exploded ... By Kentucky Ballistics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1449kJKxlMQ

Earth-Shattering ka-Boom! How (and Why) Guns Explode ... By Ian McCallum and Forgotten Weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71OGayW7CnI
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 05-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The 50 cal. ammunition was a very old and now obsolete military round. He explains in the video that it was very likely over charged. There were no obstructions in the barrel of the gun, and it fed normally prior to the catastrophic failure.

In the USA, we have a standards organization called SAAMI which publishes specifications for ammunition and firearm chambers. This includes testing of commercial ammunition to pressure standards. When a manufacturer makes a new firearm, one of the last things done prior to shipment is to "proof" the firearm using an overpressure round. This is done commercially in the United States.

In Europe, there is a similar organization called CIP. They publish similar standards for ammunition and firearms. In Europe, the majority of proof testing of firearms is done by governments. This is why Lugers have the various proof marks from government proof houses, and firearms made for export may have proof marks done by the manufacturer.

SAAMI and CIP coordinate their work.

In Europe, ammunition is also marked by proof houses, as approved through a relationship with CIP Type Approval.

Note that when our WW-I and WW-II era firearms were made, these standards organizations didn't exist, and much of the proof standards were established by manufacturers and government agencies in each individual nation working together. The same goes for the ammunition of that era. And don't forget that much of the ammunition made prior to the 1940's (and 1980's in the Eastern Block nations) used corrosive primers.

Each of the standards organizations publishes standards as free to download PDF documents.

https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/en/tdcc_public

https://saami.org/technical-informat...ami-standards/

The CIP site has a great group of videos on the procedures involved in firearm proofing.

If you ever decide to become a reloader, you need to become familiar with these dimensional and pressure standards. Note that too much powder charge in a cartridge is not the only potential cause of overpressure. This can happen easily with under charged cartridges because the bullet can have difficulty smoothly entering the leade of the barrel and engaging it's bullet's ogive in the barrel's rifling. In fact, most cartridges have multiple pressure peaks as the are discharged, travel into and through the barrel.

This isn't mentioned as a potential cause of the catastrophic failure you witnessed, but it's a distinct possibility for aging ammunition that has sustained internal damage to the powder charge. Since he was using aged military factory rounds, and he didn't know the storage conditions over the years it was stored, I suspect that this may also have been the cause of the failure.
The following 8 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default The Exact Moment

I have isolated the frame where Scott's 50 Cal. gun explodes.
Re-loaders take note ... hot rounds are dangerous.

The following 4 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
MikeP
User

A "Don't try this at home," moment.
A fool with luck on his side-that time.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #5
rolandtg
User

Imho, that rifle is a poor design. There was no way for it to fail "safely".
Granted that it's possible that no .50 cal rifle could have survived that round.
His earlier shot going wide makes me think the sabot disintegrating in the barrel may have caused an obstruction.
I would be curious to see a closer look at the barrel and to see if it was a failure of the sabot or powder degradation or a combination of both that caused the detonation.

Ian McCollum did a video a while back about the crappy 8mm Turkish ammo that was going around a few years back showing how
this ammo had gotten hotter with age.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AunvMjcJPHY

I bought some of that ammo back about 10 years ago and I can confirm his findings.
About half the ammo was duds and the rounds that did fire were noticeably hotter than what I was used to.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to rolandtg for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtg View Post
Imho, that rifle is a poor design. There was no way for it to fail "safely".
Granted that it's possible that no .50 cal rifle could have survived that round.
His earlier shot going wide makes me think the sabot disintegrating in the barrel may have caused an obstruction.
Totally agree Dana ... when he 'screwed' the end cap on it reminded me of a 'pipe bomb' which is essentially what the gun turned out being.
The following 2 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,136 Times in 376 Posts

If you want to play with a 50, and I do play with a 50, you don't want the cheapest gun. I doubt that a McMillan or an Armalite would have failed in such a spectacular fashion.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #8
Heinz
User

On another forum, the consensus seems to be these were NOT military surplus SLAP rounds but aftermarket reloads using SLAP like components. This ammo sells for really big bucks so fakery is common (Should not surprise this forum) Several failure modes are possible. I do not have an opinion on the design of the breach. But if I was to want a 50 Browning, I would want to see some really big locking lugs somewhere and maybe a pressure relief path
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Heinz for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #9
sdmark777
User

I watched Scott's video and then Ian's. Very sobering indeed. I have a Inglis 1943 BOYS rifle rebarreled to .50 BMG postwar. I used to shoot old 1950's ball ammo I got cheap, but these rounds had been around and probably not kept under the best conditions. Some of these rounds fail to fire, but I never got any hot loads out of them as best I know. Still have a few of those rounds. I have some old 1970's (I think), Brazilian AP that never gave me any problems. After seeing this, I don't think I will be putting anything but my factory fresh PMC and Federal ball through the boys. I don't want to risk what Scott went through and my BOYS is a nice collectible piece of history which can't be easily replaced. I now appreciate more than ever the BOYS design, specifically the offset of the sights to the left of center. In the event of a catastrophic failure only your shoulder is directly in line with the bolt and the shoulder is shielded by the shoulder piece. Also, I feel much better about the BOYS two locking lugs at the front of the bolt and the third lug bolt handle, than just having a screw on cap like Scott's rifle. I know the threads are engineered to handle great pressure, but bolt lugs put a lot more steel against steel I think. A couple pics to show what I mean. I will start another thread to share more pics of the BOYS rifle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	82880  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	82881  

sdmark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 05-04-2021, 12:44 AM   #10
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Mark Serbu comments on Scotts accident with the Serbu RN-50

markserbu
"Just a brief explanation of the RN-50 blow-up accident that occurred to Scott from Kentucky Ballistics. I will be coming out with a detailed analysis video shortly after I get my hands on Scott's rifle and some of the ammunition he used."

RN-50 Blow-Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AY6iEVhJE8

And Rex analyses what he thinks went wrong ... which I agree with and rolandtg (Dana) already commented on ... good call Dana.
Why His 50 BMG Exploded ~ Rex Reviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ardw09S7GfE

Stay Tuned
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 05-05-2021, 12:54 AM   #11
MikeP
User

Locking lug sheared an ear, jammed in track-apparently.
Bring back pistol I had a long time.
A CYQ.
No animals or small children injured.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blow 4.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	82911  

Name:	107_0737.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	82912  

Name:	blow 7.JPG
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	82914  

Attached Images

MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 05-05-2021, 01:11 AM   #12
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

WOW Mike ... both impressive and troubling @ the same time.
Pistol flaw, hot ammo or both ???
I was never a P.38 fan ... Glad you were OK Mike.
Unread 05-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #13
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,319 Posts

My former wife worked at Ithacagun in the early 70s while I attended Ithaca College. I'd drop her off each morning, go up the hill to classes or to my part-time job, and pick her up at the end of the day. If I arrived earlier than her quitting time, I'd hang out in the service dept's waiting area, which afforded eavesdropping on company scuttlebutt, and sometimes let me witness the arrival of customers -- sometimes they were irate.

A common malady was burst barrels. It was policy to have all such guns independently tested to establish the cause and assign liability for the failure. Burst barrels were invariably found to have had obstructions. It doesn't take as much as one might think to catastrophically obstruct a barrel, so if a bit of a sabot remained...
Unread 05-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #14
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yet another incident today. This appeared for sale on a gun board I peruse.
======================
S&W Mosel 629 Blown Up

Hot load blew the cylinder and wrecked the frame / the rest of the gun could be used for parts or kept together as a conversation piece , $400 obo

Name:	IMG_2375.JPG
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	82915

Name:	IMG_2377.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	82916

Name:	IMG_2378.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	82917

Name:	IMG_2380.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	82918

With the ammo shortage going on I think there is a lot of shady ammo floating around out there ... be careful guys please.
The following 3 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 05-06-2021, 03:57 AM   #15
Mark1
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
The 50 cal. ammunition was a very old and now obsolete military round. He explains in the video that it was very likely over charged. There were no obstructions in the barrel of the gun, and it fed normally prior to the catastrophic failure.

In the USA, we have a standards organization called SAAMI which publishes specifications for ammunition and firearm chambers. This includes testing of commercial ammunition to pressure standards. When a manufacturer makes a new firearm, one of the last things done prior to shipment is to "proof" the firearm using an overpressure round. This is done commercially in the United States.

In Europe, there is a similar organization called CIP. They publish similar standards for ammunition and firearms. In Europe, the majority of proof testing of firearms is done by governments. This is why Lugers have the various proof marks from government proof houses, and firearms made for export may have proof marks done by the manufacturer.

SAAMI and CIP coordinate their work.

In Europe, ammunition is also marked by proof houses, as approved through a relationship with CIP Type Approval.

Note that when our WW-I and WW-II era firearms were made, these standards organizations didn't exist, and much of the proof standards were established by manufacturers and government agencies in each individual nation working together. The same goes for the ammunition of that era. And don't forget that much of the ammunition made prior to the 1940's (and 1980's in the Eastern Block nations) used corrosive primers.

Each of the standards organizations publishes standards as free to download PDF documents.

https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/en/tdcc_public

https://saami.org/technical-informat...ami-standards/

The CIP site has a great group of videos on the procedures involved in firearm proofing.

If you ever decide to become a reloader, you need to become familiar with these dimensional and pressure standards. Note that too much powder charge in a cartridge is not the only potential cause of overpressure. This can happen easily with under charged cartridges because the bullet can have difficulty smoothly entering the leade of the barrel and engaging it's bullet's ogive in the barrel's rifling. In fact, most cartridges have multiple pressure peaks as the are discharged, travel into and through the barrel.

This isn't mentioned as a potential cause of the catastrophic failure you witnessed, but it's a distinct possibility for aging ammunition that has sustained internal damage to the powder charge. Since he was using aged military factory rounds, and he didn't know the storage conditions over the years it was stored, I suspect that this may also have been the cause of the failure.
mrerick, Good observations and sound advice in your post.
I do think it's important to note the differences between the purpose of the two organisations, the CIP and the SAAMI.
The CIP began in 1914 as the standardisation of the old European proof houses, some of which date back to the 17th century. It now regulates a common set of standards and tests which are mandatory for all guns and samples of all batches of ammunition, before they can be sold in the 14 member countries. Firearms and ammunition which have passed test must be so marked, for the benefit of the consumer.
The SAAMI is a post WW2 industry group that has developed a set of standards for the firearms industry. While these standards may be technically comparable to the CIP, they are not mandatory. A gun or ammo maker can chose to follow the SAAMI standards, or not. Manufacturers are not obliged to inform consumers if their product complies with the SAAMI standard by way of markings or any other method.
I agree that in this case, the ammo would be the obvious culprit. But we have no way of knowing how the rifle was proof tested.
Mark
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mark1 for your post:
Unread 05-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #16
Kiwi
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangy View Post
Yet another incident today. This appeared for sale on a gun board I peruse.
======================
S&W Mosel 629 Blown Up

Hot load blew the cylinder and wrecked the frame / the rest of the gun could be used for parts or kept together as a conversation piece , $400 obo

(snip)

With the ammo shortage going on I think there is a lot of shady ammo floating around out there ... be careful guys please.
I guess that is now a '3 shooter'
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Kiwi for your post:
Unread 05-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #17
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,425 Posts

I watch "Demolition Ranch" on you tube. He has had many shows with obstructed barrels..Surprising how many are NOT affected.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #18
STEINBVG
User

Default Serbu,s take on the explosion

https://youtu.be/na1Qo7FxDeM
STEINBVG is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to STEINBVG for your post:
Unread 05-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #19
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,425 Posts

Vitaly, Thanks! A short & sweet video for those of us who have been following this.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2021, 06:18 AM   #20
STEINBVG
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Vitaly, Thanks! A short & sweet video for those of us who have been following this.
No problem, Greg.
I have been a big fan of Serbu. Like his channel, learned a lot in homemade gun building.

I believe he has a strong background[?degree?] in engineering.

I hate to see not always deserved very emotionally charged blames vs credits without first investigating the issue, facts.

It's interesting that we are careful with Luger's ammo god forbid not to brake some parts in it.
No-no for hot ammo.

Imagine would would happen to it with the several fold charge...

I believe, any gun even with the best design has a breaking point and can explode...
STEINBVG is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to STEINBVG for your post: