LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Dirty lugers

Has anyone bought or received a Luger that didn’t need a big cleaning? I have several and everyone upon purchasing were so dirty, I just know wherever my Lugers or any of my firearms for that matter end up in the future whoever gets them won’t have to clean them! I have pride of ownership as I am sure other forum members share that sentiment!
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Heinz
User

I have bought 4, all were clean
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
wayne8661
User

I have purchased a few that were so packed with old cosmoline that I had to use Acetone to get them clean.
wayne8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

I am of the opposite opinion. I would much rather buy a gun that has congealed and hardened lubricant in every crevice than one that is spanking clean and lightly oiled. Above all I despise the practice of rubbing white lacquer into the numbers and markings. I believe that a collector who tries to beautify a gun would likely be tempted to do a little renumbering (grips, magazines etc.) on the side.
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 07-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I clean my Lugers, mostly…. But I am not one, in the least to tear it down to ALL its parts.
In the army Unit Armorer course, they told us more guns are damaged by over cleaning than dirty guns. And I use CLP and it can draw out fouling, as days after a cleaning you’d do the bore and it appeared dirty.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #6
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I like cleaning my firearms, I clean them more than I shoot them. So I’m not complaining. I do agree with Norm, I don’t care for the highlighted markings either, I guess I understand a dealer using them to show markings for potential buyers to see easier when posted online but in person I carry a gun light, magnifying glass and reading glasses to see everything.
Like Ed, I usually don’t tear down my guns completely just the basic field strip. My question is though can you really over clean a gun? If you use the wrong solvents and disassemble the gun like a “bull in a China shop” things can get damaged but when cleaning a barrel properly there always seems to be some dirt on the cleaning patch but Ed you probably know something I don’t.
Jim
Unread 07-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
Major Tom
User

I once had a 03A3 rifle that was packed with old cosmoline to the extreme. I used several applications of boiling water to remove all of it. Boiling water evaporates almost instantly leaving a nice clean metal surface. No harsh chemicals to remove.
Unread 07-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Jeb, the worst thing about over cleaning is the usage of a metal rod and it hitting the crown - or that you drop it or you rub it too much - Its like shooting, anything can happen - when I was younger I cleaned much more, but now I am 'old', I don't love cleaning as much

Its like many things, if it makes you happy, I am all for it

An interesting observation, many times I hear about it being factory fresh, or been in storage for many years (like since WW2), but when I went to europe for three years (turned out to be 7), that I had cleaned my guns left at my dads, then coated with RIG grease, by the time I cleaned them, you'd have sworn they had not been touched since WW2! Looked just like old cosmoline
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 07-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #9
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
- when I was younger I cleaned much more, but now I am 'old', I don't love cleaning as much

This ^^^^^^^. And the guns perform just as good as they used to when I "over-cleaned" them.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #10
HerrKaiser
User

I never do an entire cleaning routine on a weapon unless I have fired it beforehand. That said, I still rather enjoy the process of cleaning my guns and taking them apart/putting them back together.

Despite cleaning only after shooting, I will occasionally do a quick field strip to ensure everything is properly lubed then give a fresh coat of gun oil before putting it away, because I AM still younger (25) and like to handle my firearms very regularly, possibly over-handling?. Which is why I am thankful that 3 of my 4 Lugers are either dedicated shooters, or already had a lot of prior handling wear on the grip straps when purchased.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 07-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #11
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ed, the one thing I am very careful with is watching that the cleaning rod doesn't hit the crown and only a light coat of teflon oil when done. When you own Lugers that aren't shooters handling them is something I love to do on occasion. I made the original post as I was cleaning one of my Lugers and that is when I came up with my question because if I recollect only one of my six was halfway clean the others not so much. I guess it comes with collecting older guns.
Jim
Unread 07-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #12
Kiwi
User

I always strip, clean, and oil any new (to me) gun before a trip to the range.

My first Parabellum (70's Mauser 7.65) was so dry I am unsure if it had ever been fired after test. squeaky clean, desperately dry. Oiled and fired, did not cycle well for first few magazines, but is happy now.

2nd DMW 1913 mismatch shooter was also clean and needed some oiling so guess it had been a safe queen for a bit before sale.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
Diver6106
User

I enjoy cleaning a Luger after purchasing the gun. I like to strip them completely down and examine all the parts and see if they match with numbers. Especially when they are so old and sometimes missing parts, broken springs or have field expedient fixes. If it hasn't been cleaned and stripped since the war, you can find some interesting things. Under the detents, pins and springs, there is grime and soil from all the time it spent in the field. I often wish I could send it in to see what battlefields it came from. You can find surprises in scratches or notes under the grips. And then - it is just good fun to really get to know YOUR Luger.
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Diver6106 for your post:
Unread 07-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #14
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Like Diver6106 and probably everyone else here I really enjoy getting to know a new gun. I completely dismantle, clean, and appropriately lube or oil my guns. All rust is removed and dealt with to ensure that it is halted. Any parts needed are acquired and installed. I do this to know my gun inside out and ensure everything is in safe working order. This to me is the joy of Luger ownership and I love it.

This pastime is as minimal or as expansive as you want it to be but it is absolutely addictive and my collection keeps expanding as does my knowledge of all things Luger related ... couldn't be happier that I started down this road and Lugerforum has been with me every step of the way.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 01-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #15
Batty67
User

I spent about 2 hours carefully cleaning and lightly oiling (G96) moving parts (except some Wilson Combat lube on the rails) of my new to me BYF 41. I also put a little Hoppes and ran my boresnake through the barrel 2-3 times, after removing a ton of accumulated lint. And then nylon brush followed by cotton swab and patches. It clearly had not been shot in...ages. I always take the time to become well-acquainted with my firearms when I take possession.

I WILL shoot mine at least a little, after I get some Nils grips and remove the bakelite grips, which look pretty worn on the insides. Separate thread and pix soming soon...
Batty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver6106 View Post
...I like to strip them completely down and examine all the parts...
+1

My 1900 AE had a sloppy safety lever; did not engage 'detents'. I stripped down to bare frame, drove safety lever retaining pin out, copper brush cleaned the safety hole and safety itself. Re-assembled and Viola! [that's French], the safety now engaged the 'detents' properly and worked correctly!

While working on safety lever, I also disassembled breech block and discovered broken firing pin spring guide.

I am now firm believer of detail stripping.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote