LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
k98mike
User

Default Proof please

I have a 1937 S/42, no straw, with a gothic "S" (The "S" that's pointy) stamped on the inside of the frame in the flat behind the takedown lever. Just curious if it could be a leftover frame from the 1934 "K" series or something else really cool, or nothing important. I'd send pics but I'm not good at it and was flamed last time I sent pics of a Krieghoff. Thanks to whoever replies! Mike
k98mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Could just be an inspectors mark. Bill
Unread 09-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k98mike View Post
I'd send pics but I'm not good at it and was flamed last time I sent pics of a Krieghoff.
Don't feel bad - the armchair experts here flame everyone. I was flamed on my very first post. Luckily, I stuck it out, posted pics of everything I do, and I am now the most-loved member of the forum.

Endeavor to persevere!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 09-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

It seems like most of the time the letters stamped on the inside are inspector's marks and not very significant in the grand scheme of things.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 09-29-2018, 01:07 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I just read your posting on plum colored krieghoff - if you think thats being flamed, than hopefully you aren't on many other boards, because folks can really be jerks!

Seriously - I think folks telling you that it wasn't normal for kreighoffs to be off-color isn't flaming to me? (( but I didn't read everything)) As Krieghoff's (to my dismay) are always the super luger to get while my favorite is the red-headed step-child Simson....
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 10 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 09-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
k98mike
User

Default Hi

Oh no, I didn't think the comments on the plum Luger were flaming. The comment's like "Grab yourself a big heapin eyeful of how to post pictures on the new members link" and "Despite your pictures being bloody awful" and "Your pictures are hardly helpful" etc were. I'm about to turn 53, grew up without computers, and just learned how to use one in about 2010. I worked in factories and construction my whole life and didn't need to "Contact friends on facebook". I own a flip phone; not a smartphone. I had a friend come over and take the pictures with hers and I thought they were really good, only to be treated like a retarded child on the site. I've collected many guns, and many Lugers over the past 35 years, (60+) and have a fairly good knowledge base. I had a 74 MGB for a few years and encountered the same attitude on their sites....A bunch of people wanting to prove how much more they knew than you, and how backward you were for attempting their hobby. It turns people off and drives them away.....
k98mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to k98mike for your post:
Unread 09-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
4 Scale
User

MIke I'm sorry you were not treated with courtesy. Most members here make a real effort not to engage in abusive or rude behavior. If you Google search "why are people so rude on the internet" you'll find interesting explanations for it. It has to do with the anonymity and that the speakers can't see each other.

There is an astonishing quantity of expertise on the forums, the occasional flame-blast is in my opinion a reasonable price to pay for the chance to discuss Lugers with these folk.

On photos, please keep trying. On the 'New Collectors Forum' this thread may assist http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php? t=22994 Computers/posting pictures is just like any other learned skill, it takes some study and practice.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 09-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

It ain't "flaming" if it is true.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 09-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
4 Scale
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
It ain't "flaming" if it is true.
While I appreciate that many hold that view, I think the definition of "flaming" is "offensive message". I'd suggest the test is: will the recipient be hurt or offended.
The following 3 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 09-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Seems that in today's world , some one is offended by anything.

While I don't think the OP was flamed, he may have been "hurt" by criticism.

I believe it is not our "job" to sugar coat the answers to questions, none of us here are children who need protection from the truth.

JMHO.
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 09-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

"none of us here are children who need protection from the truth."

I wish that were the case...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 09-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #12
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
.... I'm about to turn 53, grew up without computers, and just learned how to use one in about 2010. I worked in factories and construction my whole life and didn't need to "Contact friends on facebook". I own a flip phone; not a smartphone. I had a friend come over and take the pictures with hers and I thought they were really good, only to be treated like a retarded child on the site. I've collected many guns, and many Lugers over the past 35 years, (60+) and have a fairly good knowledge base. I had a 74 MGB for a few years and encountered the same attitude on their sites....A bunch of people wanting to prove how much more they knew than you, and how backward you were for attempting their hobby. It turns people off and drives them away.....
well, I'll be 58 this year, I would say that I grew up with the same computer knowledge as you, 20 yrs army, however, I did get into them, and now do IT Security for a living.
I don't know you, but my experience for a lot of folks -young and old - is that they don't have the desire to learn computers
Some folks on here are older than dirt, and they eventually learn to post pictures, others simply don't have the desire to learn to do so.

Personally I think most folks here go out of their way to help but I guess folks asking for different pictures or the like can be off-putting. But its hard to help, if we aren't told or can see.

AND, by the way, Hell, I don't have 60 lugers . If you haven't done it yet, sell a luger or two from your large collection and buy some books but we'll still be glad to help you.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 09-30-2018, 11:12 PM   #13
4 Scale
User

Try as I might, I cannot find any definition of "flaming" that includes any reference to "truth". Instead I find words like "hostile" and "insulting" as the measures. Perhaps the quotes in post #6 fall into a gray area but at least one member seems to have considered it flaming. Personally, I'd rather the forum be civil and inviting to all and will try to stay away from the gray.

Quote:
I had a 74 MGB for a few years...
I had a friend who owned a '74 and I drove it/helped him work on it. It was a typical British sports car - difficult to fix and needed fixing constantly. I would expect an online forum of MGB owners to be filled with unhappy people predisposed to flaming.
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 10-01-2018, 02:54 AM   #14
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken, the "heapin' eye-full" line was mine. I intended no derision by it, rather, a suggestion to read the FAQ, albeit phrased in a way that seems to have failed as humor. Though I am not one, every old hand at Lugers was a newbie at some point...and thereafter with computers, and with the forum, too. Misunderstandings can happen anywhere, any time.
Unread 10-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #15
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
Try as I might, I cannot find any definition of "flaming" that includes any reference to "truth". Instead I find words like "hostile" and "insulting" as the measures. Perhaps the quotes in post #6 fall into a gray area but at least one member seems to have considered it flaming. Personally, I'd rather the forum be civil and inviting to all and will try to stay away from the gray.

I had a friend who owned a '74 and I drove it/helped him work on it. It was a typical British sports car - difficult to fix and needed fixing constantly. I would expect an online forum of MGB owners to be filled with unhappy people predisposed to flaming.
4scale,
"flaming" is a made up, nonsense word that I suppose is related to the internet. I'm sure Webster never defined it, and any other "definition" is just someone's opinion. If "truth" is not a part of the definition, it should be.

One guys "hostile" is another guy's "straight talk"; and insulting depends on too many factors to decide. JMHO.

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #16
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Back to the point I think a couple of close up pictures would help, as somebody says, without pictures is a bit like getting a haircut over the phone by a blind person.
Unread 10-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #17
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Mike,
If my calling your pictures “bloody horrible” upset you, please accept my sincere apologies. I should have called then out-of- focus and poorly lit. Despite that, I did say that I thought your HK looked original.
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 10-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #18
4 Scale
User

Absolutely, 'flaming' is a recent, made-up word. Every word in the language was at one time made up. New words are constantly being added to dictionaries. "Flaming" is in the latest edition of Websters (I have a strange hobby of reading the dictionary for enjoyment ). My personal favorite recent made-up word (phrase) that is now in Websters is "dumpster fire".

I agree that most if not all of the responses that Mike quotes were probably not intended as flaming. I also agree it can be hard to tell at times and intent is often misunderstood by the party who feels scorched.
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 10-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #19
DonVoigt
User

Oh my. Webster's is on the road to perdition.

Why in the world would dumpster fire need a definition? Or does it have a meaning other than the obvious?

And don't get me cranked up on "gifted" or "hack".
Unread 10-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
HerrKaiser
User

I assume the reason Webster’s continues to add lingo into the dictionary is because you have to remember something. Think about the intelligence of the average “ joe” on this planet of 7 billion people. Now remember that half of all people are dumber than that.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post: