LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #21
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Eric, the most common cause is reloading a cartridge without putting in any powder, just the primer and bullet.

Even the most systematic reloader can make a mistake like this, especially when distracted.

It's one reason I never shoot someone else's reloads, and don't buy commercially reloaded ammunition.

I have never reloaded a squib round like this, but I'm ever vigilant to prevent one. This included always double checking every single reloaded round on my progressive press.

I even installed illumination to make it easier to see powder level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIraXq6u0VY
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 07-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #22
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Thank Marc~Does it only happen with reloads or am I safe with the old white box?
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #23
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
DO NOT use wood. Use aluminum, brass or steel, ONE PIECE rods that are near bore diameter, and do not protrude from the bore more than about 6" from the end you are going to tap on... DO NOT use wood, of any type.
Doug, I'll buy that! I think the salient point we can all agree on is protection of the bore. So, any material of lesser hardness that will take a whack with a hammer, avoid making a bad situation worse by getting itself stuck or broken, and configured for a slick fit down the pipe should, plus lubricant, do the trick. Fashion a slip-on cap to keep the pounded end from digging up its face and you could use a dead blow hammer. And the cap will keep the end of the rod from being peened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Does it only happen with reloads or am I safe with the old white box?
Eric, although it's theoretically possible to encounter a WWB squibb round, the odds against one being loaded off-spec enough to cause problems make them safe for all practical/reasonable considerations. I'm thinking that they are probably quite good about quality control, considering that their product produces an explosion in a small appliance that is held basically in front of one's face. With your background, you could probably explain the liabilities and regulations better than I! Do-it-yourself ammo can be exquisitely precise...or the opposite. If a round with not enough powder makes it through the process, whether in the factory or personal workshop, there's your squibb. They sound odd when shot, so if it does, unload and check that bore if there's any doubt. Firing another round into the system with an obstructed barrel = very bad.
Unread 07-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #24
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Pardon Me for another stupid Eric question! Is there that much savings in buying a new box at Walmart than go through the brass collection, task and time to reload? My arm would would fall of after twenty!!
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 07-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #25
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Pardon Me for another stupid Eric question! Is there that much savings in buying a new box at Walmart than go through the brass collection, task and time to reload? My arm would would fall of after twenty!!
Depends on you opinion of how much is "much"!

Some folks enjoy it; I don't.
I have way too many ways to "waste time" without re-loading.

The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #26
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I guess its like my mom enjoying sewing! TKS
Unread 07-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #27
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Lol! Eric, it's up to the individual guy to decide what is enough or too much. Reloading is not for everybody, obviously. 9 mm ammo is the least expensive/round in general, and WWB is well worth the money, unless your labor comes at the firm's rates! Reloading offers the satisfaction of some cost savings, the pride of accomplishment, and the advantage of being able to create very consistent ammo, which helps accuracy. Weighed against the need to learn the skills, taking the time to apply them thereafter, plus an investment in equipment and supplies, it's an activity that may not appeal to some.
Unread 07-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #28
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Reloading is the only way to find the 'sweet spot' of that particular firearm. You select a bullet and then compare various powder loads to see which one gives the best results. You may start off with a 115gr bullet and 3.5grs of W231 and shoot a 3" group. Then as you increase the powder by 1/10th gr it may drop to 2 7/8"...Then another tenth and 2 1/2" 5-shot groups...Then suddenly, at maybe 4.7 grs, you shoot a 1 1/8" group...Then if you increase any more, the groups start increasing again...So that particular powder load, for that bullet and that firearm, is the ideal load.

Commercial ammunition is a compromise to allow the best results in ALL firearms, not just the one you have. Only by reloading can you achieve all that that firearm can deliver...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #29
unitedcs
User

My charge alarm keeps me square, providing it's adjusted and has a good battery. As far as reloads go, I'll never again trust anyone's other than my own. I keep my blown up Glock 40cal barrel as a reminder hanging over the bench.
unitedcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to unitedcs for your post:
Unread 07-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #30
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Regarding the reliability of factory loaded ammo, I help coach a local girls trap team, and it seems like weekly one will show me an unsafe factory AA Winchester or Winchester SuperTarget shell; split brass base, an "open" primer, smashed hull, etc. So far no excessive loads, knock on wood...
My reloads are not perfect, but I'm almost thinking that my average is better than Winchester's.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 07-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #31
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

I've reloaded WAY too many rounds for it to be "fun" anymore. It is just a necessary evil, and a chore. When I shoot an across the course highpower rifle match, the 88 rounds I fire would be about 130.00 in ammo. My handloads come in at about one third of that. Plus all the other shooting I do, it could become an expensive pursuit. But in the end, I don't really save any money, I just shoot more for the same dollar.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 07-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #32
Major Tom
User

I enjoy handloading for all my firearms except for my Wasr 10 AK-47 for which surplus ammo is much cheaper. That dreaded "Phut" sound was my first squib load ever after 50+ years of reloading. Fortunately, the bullet came out of the barrel very easily with a few taps of a hammer and drill bit.
Unread 07-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #33
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

My one and only squib was with a muzzle can suppressed MP5. The curious thing is I got the opposite effect; pfff, pfff, pfff, POP! I had the presence of mind to stop, step back and run a rod down the barrel to find a bullet stuck about an inch past the chamber throat. It was pure chance that I wasn't running bursts through the gun, which would have complicated things considerably and probably ruined the barrel on a Transferrable gun and surely would have damaged the suppressor.
The louder report of all the gasses coming back through the ejection port was my only warning.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 07-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #34
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I regularly teach the NRA reloading class (in fact, have one coming up in a week).

Everyone can have a spat of inattention or something interfere with the process and sequence of reloading. That's when it's important to be hyper-aware of the possibility of mistakes.

When I have one of those situations, I get out the bullet puller and back things up, unloading rounds, until I'm back where I'm sure things were right. Sometimes an entire session of necessary.

I also reload when wearing eye protection and something to protect my face. Primer accidents do happen.

While you can save a little money reloading rounds (for example a 115gn 9mm FMJ projectile is about 8 cents now; primer and powder 3 cents. So it costs about 11 cents a round to reload cases you already own. Best prices I've seen recently for brass ball ammo is about 20 to 21 cents a round. Casting recycled lead alloy can drop prices even more, but this is becoming more difficult as garages turn to zinc and iron tire weights. I have a few hundred pounds of lead alloy saved up from years ago when it was more plentiful.

You don't save that much money, especially when you consider the cost of the reloading equipment, and your time. If this is the only reason you want to reload, I would not consider it.

But - you do get control and with control the ability to do precision reloading. You can adjust the power level and OAL for precise performance. If this is your goal (and particularly when it comes to high power rifle reloading) it's something to consider.

There is a satisfaction to shooting what you make. There is also the consideration of a catastrophe (either social or physical) that would leave us only the choice of making our own ammunition.

So... best sit up straight, pay attention and enjoy!
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #35
noylj
User

I have removed stuck bullets with wood dowels. Worked great.
I would not stick ANY steel down my barrel.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...smithing_1106/
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1251.aspx
Loew's, Home Depot, Ace, and others should have brass, copper, aluminum, etc. rods available.
Of course, quickest can be to take it to gunsmith and he'll have it out in a couple of minutes.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to noylj for your post:
Unread 07-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #36
Eugen
User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
Of course, quickest can be to take it to gunsmith and he'll have it out in a couple of minutes.
So true! But, that removes the excitement and drama of fiddling with it oneself.
Unread 07-29-2017, 04:49 AM   #37
flydive
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
My one and only squib was with a muzzle can suppressed MP5. The curious thing is I got the opposite effect; pfff, pfff, pfff, POP! I had the presence of mind to stop, step back and run a rod down the barrel to find a bullet stuck about an inch past the chamber throat. It was pure chance that I wasn't running bursts through the gun, which would have complicated things considerably and probably ruined the barrel on a Transferrable gun and surely would have damaged the suppressor.
The louder report of all the gasses coming back through the ejection port was my only warning.
Last April during an instructor training I was shown pictures of a police MP, barrel was cut in half for investigation, 6 bullets stuck in it!!
The barrel bulged at the end, but nobody was hurt.
flydive is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to flydive for your post:
Unread 07-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #38
unitedcs
User

Default Stuck squib

This is why I'll never shoot anyones reload, far worse than a squib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_IMG_0150_1024.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	67526  

unitedcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to unitedcs for your post:
Unread 07-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #39
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

That Hurts!!
Unread 07-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #40
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedcs View Post
This is why I'll never shoot anyones reload, far worse than a squib.
Well, it's a POS Glock! What did you expect???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote