LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #21
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
I would be that considering the condition of the rest of the pistol that the magazine is rusted in place and can't be easily removed. It would have to soak in oil penetration fluid (PB Blaster is a good example) and even then might require to be pounded out.

Oh, and carefully removed and cleaned, I would bet that the grips would be reusable. They are genuine original byf 41 type grips.
John,
I meant the mag would have been tossed when the pistol was first disabled, not when dug!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 05-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #22
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
The grip screws aren't that hard, and if someone attempted removal in their obviously rusted-in condition without soaking them in penetrant first, it's not much of a mystery why they're both twisted off!
The pistol appears to be in "as found" condition. Unless it was found more than once, I think no one tried to remove the grip screws, otherwise they most likely wouldn't be there anymore.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #23
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
The pistol appears to be in "as found" condition. Unless it was found more than once, I think no one tried to remove the grip screws, otherwise they most likely wouldn't be there anymore.
Maybe... But if it were being used right before it was dropped/lost, what would have kept the grips from falling off? If the safety lever had broken before loss, I can envision using the gun without it, but my guess is that someone tried to take the grips off in order to loosen the mag, and probably forced the lever, as well, just trying it out. Without more info, we simply do not know.
Unread 05-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #24
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Maybe... But if it were being used right before it was dropped/lost, what would have kept the grips from falling off? If the safety lever had broken before loss, I can envision using the gun without it, but my guess is that someone tried to take the grips off in order to loosen the mag, and probably forced the lever, as well, just trying it out. Without more info, we simply do not know.
I'm thinking on the line, those parts (grip screws; safety lever) corroded away during all this time for unknown reasons.

Maybe a chemist among us could have an hypothesis on the whys.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #25
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Smaller pieces will corrode quicker, as they corrode from all directions- till nothing is left.
The safety lever is quite thin, so same principle; could also be the pin or the ledge that holds it in could have disintegrated and let the lever "fall" out when touched.

I'm afraid this is another one of those puzzles we will never know the "real" answer to.

But the picture clearly shows that different parts/metals/treatments show different amounts of corrosion when buried. Great picture.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 05-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #26
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Keep in mind what I posted above, as well. These parts may have been exposed to the elements, while the balance of the pistol was covered in mud. How it lay for so many years would have influenced what rusted away.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote