LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-31-2021, 08:15 AM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts
Default Vaccine Availability in NYS

... ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no-avail.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	82481  

Last edited by sheepherder; 03-31-2021 at 09:30 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Health centers in our state showed no appointments for a couple weeks until I figured out that they were posting availability each morning based on expected and received vaccine supplies. I kept looking first thing in the morning and after a few days, dozens of appointment slots appeared.
Your state will administrate this differently, but it's worth checking back repeatedly.
Mine came through a regional medical center, and I accessed the appointment through their online EPIC electronic health records system application.
Unread 03-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Here in Washington state, it was really screwy - state stated 75+, then 65+ - VA on the same day, was 75, 65 and 55 in different VA clinics. I reached out a couple of weeks ago and found that my email and phone were wrong, let alone the correct VA I should go to. Got it straightened out after 3 calls, then got an appt for a Johnson shot, got it 2 weeks ago saturday - get those shots... Even if you think they don't do much...
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 03-31-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Here's what life is like on the other side of the syringe:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/26/n...gtype=Homepage
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 03-31-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
MikeP
User

I'm moving around quite a bit right now and have a hard time scheduling something. Nobody I have contacted, including the VA, will give you one and let you get another someplace else.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #6
spacecoast
User

I plan on getting my shots right after my first flu shot.

Looking for a DWM Commercial side plate #95
spacecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
... ...
Rich, unless I'm mistaken,the page you linked lists NYS clinics. Last month, pharmacies began to vaccinate us geezers 60+. It's down to 30+ now (or 16+ if in a risk group) I was able to make an appointment at the CVS in Watkins Glen, which is about equidistant to Ithaca from me. 2nd jab was accomplished this Monday, so I'll be able to hug my grandson on his birthday in a little over two weeks.

Wal-Mart, Kinney, Rite-Aid, and many independents have pages you can watch and/or sign up for the appointment waiting list. Today, CVS seems to be mostly booked--but there are some outlets with availabilities--Ithaca is one, so is Greece. https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine

This is my county's page. Scroll down for links to a bunch of pharmacies and chains to check for appointment or waiting lists. https://www.schuylercounty.us/civicalerts.aspx?aid=469
Unread 04-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Rich, unless I'm mistaken,the page you linked lists NYS clinics.
I'm on both NYS DOH and Niagara County DOH lists. Both list No Appointments Available whenever I check. There is no announcements of availability, the sites just post a URL and shut it down when the vaccine allotment is met. I've actually gotten through to the sites before they could shut them down but after the allotment had been met. (Pic below).

As of this morning, most all eastern NYS sites had availability (NY City especially) but not western NYS.

My county DOH has assigned me to either Tops Supermarket or Wegmans pharmacy. I don't get a choice of others. NYS DOH has a bunch of sites, closest is in Buffalo but still no availability.

If a site gets in 1,000 doses, they post it on the site and the list is filled in less than 10 minutes (according to the local paper).

Lately, the PFizer vaccine seems to be predominant. Some Jannsen [J&J] has been distributed by NYS DOH but in lots of less than 500.

... ... ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	session.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	82493  

Unread 04-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

an old-fashioned calf scramble.................
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I am by nature a pessimist. (That means I hope for the best but prepare for the worst). The nearest facility that most often appears to have vaccine available is in Rochester [Henrietta], which is about an hour and a half drive away from me. That's in good weather, with no road construction. I do not know what the window of opportunity is for the vaccination appointments but I expect that if I chose this facility I would have to leave at least an hour early. It's listed as a PFizer vaccine.

One of my lady friends (the only one, actually ) has advised me to wait for the Janssen/J&J vaccine, so I checked the CDC site on that vaccine option -

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...s/janssen.html

Only 66% effective in clinical trials??? I'll make sure I get the Moderna or PFizer vaccines...whenever they become available...
Unread 04-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #11
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I get my second Moderna on 4-9...then wait patiently for another 3 weeks for the curing period, as one of my friends called it....then I should be good to go, with continued precautions from the building crowds at the spring festivals and picnics......
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #12
Kiwi
User

Do you get a sample 'blue pill' with the Pfizer vaccine?
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Kiwi for your post:
Unread 04-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #13
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
I am by nature a pessimist. (That means I hope for the best but prepare for the worst)

Only 66% effective in clinical trials??? I'll make sure I get the Moderna or PFizer vaccines...whenever they become available...
Pessimism
Pessimism is a negative mental attitude in which an undesirable outcome is anticipated from a given situation. Pessimists tend to focus on the negatives of life in general.

Your philosophy is not that of a pessimist ... your philosophy is much like my own which I call pessimistic optimism ... prepare for the worst so as to be ready should that occur but believe that it won't so as not to be a 'downer'. Works for me.

As to 'efficacy' ... those numbers are completly misleading and really have nothing to do with choosing the best vaccine. Remember Trillions of dollars are at stake as big pharma competes for the billions of doses needed ... the LIE Olympics have begun.

I urge you to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3odScka55A
before making such an important decision.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 04-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #14
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangy View Post
I urge you to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3odScka55A
before making such an important decision.
I just watched it. Very compelling. Thanks for the learning experience!

The video says that they are all effective. Any of them should do. I can just get whatever is available. Whenever it's available.

It's also possible that I've already had the virus. About this time last year, I was sicker than a dog for 8 days. But the CDC had only released three symptoms then: Fever, cough, and shortness of breath, I had none of those. Now, a year later, they have a longer list of symptoms...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019.../symptoms.html

I had more than half of these symptoms, plus a few more. Just not the big 3.

I'll do as the video suggests and take whatever is available.
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #15
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Rich;
It sounds like you live in a lightly populated part of the country, if you steer clear of discos and karaoke bars you should be OK.
Norm
Unread 04-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
Hi Rich;
It sounds like you live in a lightly populated part of the country, if you steer clear of discos and karaoke bars you should be OK.
Norm
Norm, I wouldn't know where to find a bar any more. All my old haunts closed up even before the pandemic. And I don't dance, can't sing, look like a sno-cone left out in the sun, and am slowly losing my cognitive powers, memory, and what little personality I had....

The only course left open to me...is politics! Biden is 78; there's no way he'll last two terms...There should be an opening somewhere along the line...
Unread 04-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #17
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
It's also possible that I've already had the virus. About this time last year, I was sicker than a dog for 8 days.
Same here ... last Feb. 2020 a friend and I had become very ill with what we thought was the 'flu'.
We both thought we were going to die it was that bad .... took months to get back to 100%.

My friend got tested for the virus about 2 months ago even though he wasn't sick. Lo and behold he had the covid antibodies meaning he had been exposed at some time. I haven't been tested but i'm pretty sure I'd show the same.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #18
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangy View Post
Same here ... last Feb. a friend and I had become very ill with the 'flu'.
We both thought we were going to die it was that bad .... took months to get back to 100%.

My friend got tested for the virus about 2 months ago even though he wasn't sick. Lo and behold he had the covid antibodies meaning he had been exposed at some time. I haven't been tested but i'm pretty sure I'd show the same.
The medical experts have said from the beginning of this, that approximately 50% of the people who contract the virus will be asymptomatic, or show no symptoms. Pretty easy for it to spread if you don't know you have it, and continue your life as normal, even with a mask. Especially if you are using just a cheap fabric mask, which an epidemiologist said was "like trying to catch mosquitoes with a chain link fence". Wear an N95, they actually work.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 04-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #19
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Well, you guys talked me into it. I started watching the Final Four basketball playoffs and thought about what youse guyz said. I checked the NYS DOH site again and saw there was availability at UB South Campus in Buffalo (pic below). Not all that far, 26 miles. So, I filled out the usual blurb and clicked the link and...No Appointments Available!!! ARGH!!! Update the web site, buttheads!!!

Second nearest was the Dome Arena. 87 miles away. I go there often, that's where our ESACA club holds its gun shows. So I hit their site: Lots of appointments available! One on Saturday, six on Tuesday, and more on succeeding days. I figure the Saturday slot is already filled but I'll shoot for one of the Tuesday's. But at half time, I check again, and Saturday is still available. So I select that and start filling out dozens of pages of silly questions. Finally I hit the submit button and get the confirmation screen. Yay!

So I went today. Left two hours early, stopped at my FCU on the way and then just sat in the parking lot waiting. Place was jumping. Cars in, cars out; steady streams bumper to bumper. My appt was later [2:15] and the action was winding down. I went in, the National Guard was manning a lot of the stations. Lots of people inside, slowly making their way through the various lines/stations. I had problems hearing the DOH people, they wore masks and over them plastic shields. A couple of them directed me where I needed to go. Finally got the shot, waited 15 minutes, and was done. 2nd shot three weeks from now, same time, place, and day.

Pfizer vaccine, painless, no ill effects.

There's talk in the paper about people who've had their shots being given more latitude about assembling. They want to have some kind of 'shot ID'. The NYS DOH people gave me a shot card, I guess that and five bucks should get me a coffee at Starbucks...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	available.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	82507  

Name:	appt_3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	82508  

Name:	pfizer-1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	82509  

Unread 04-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #20
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Rich,
Congratulations! Don't you feel better already? Just a word of warning, both my wife and I felt no ill effects after our first shots but had a couple of bad days after our second ones.
Norm