LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Vietnam Veterans Day

Thanks to the Vietnam Vets on the forum for their service!
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 17 members says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 04-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
Diver6106
User

I always think about Ed O'Dowd, U.S. Army attache'... He used to work out of his briefcase in our office, the Asian Division in DIA. He had fought over there during the war and now was waiting to get permission to go back in as the first military attache' at our new embassy in Hanoi. He was a great guy and how things have changed... what a terrible tragedy of our time... Then there was a great lecture by William Colby in the late '70's in Georgetown, DC on his views of the war and how he thought we could have won it and how he'd drive his jeep around the country side at night with no problems.
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Diver6106 for your post:
Unread 04-09-2021, 06:18 PM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

History seems to keep it under our carpet!!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
Fla.Mallard
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb111 View Post
Thanks to the Vietnam Vets on the forum for their service!
I'll second this.

I was one of the lucky ones who were in college and got a dispensation until I graduated. After my Navy physical I kept waiting to be called. My number wasn't near the top and the call never came.

I thank and admire the men who did serve but regret that politics insured that the war was unwinnable.
Fla.Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Fla.Mallard for your post:
Unread 04-10-2021, 01:56 AM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla.Mallard View Post
I'll second this.

I was one of the lucky ones who were in college and got a dispensation until I graduated. After my Navy physical I kept waiting to be called. My number wasn't near the top and the call never came.

I thank and admire the men who did serve but regret that politics insured that the war was unwinnable.
I was at Clarkson for my second year when the first draft lottery was held. I had a gig in the student carrier current FM station, and we watched the teletype as the numbers were drawn. My buddy Lloyd Baum's was 6, and he figured--college deferment or not--that he was toast. Mine finally popped up, 327, coincidentally the C.I.D. of one of my favorite Chevy engines. For those who didn't enlist, the Selective Service hung like the Sword of Damocles, waiting to drop. My high number definitely relieved me of the stress of contemplating such an unknown fate.

Our involvement there was a big mistake, fueled by lots of cultural and political ignorance, and perhaps some left over hubris from WWII that was disastrously applied to Southeast Asia. Demonstrations that we'd learned anything from the conflict have been scant since. We continue to send young men into harm's way for little practical or tactical gain. We thank those who rose to the call (or couldn't escape the draft) for their service and the trauma they surely endured. My mettle escaped being tested in this particular way, but it's a shame others died or were maimed in my stead.
Unread 04-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

My father was seriously wounded in Korea, but recovered and was allowed to continue his military career, after a year of rehab. The Vietnam war was winding down when I started college and my father had just come back from 3 consecutive tours. His last year was leading part of the pacification program as the US prepared to pull out. And, yes, he did bring back some interesting war trophies - they weren't all weapons, either.

He supported his local Vietnamese interpreter for the rest of his life, because the man was not allowed to work in communist Vietnam. But, having learned English, that man's family thrived in the new modern world.

I got my draft number in college - no deferment option. It was a very high number printed on computer paper like a telegram. I never got an actual "draft card'.

Dad presented my Ensign bars when I did take a commission in the Navy. I was an Aviator and strangely, never boarded a US Navy ship.

The only active duty Navy ship I have ever boarded was a British ship HMS Coventry, after the Falkland Island war (1892). It's sister ship, the HMS Sheffield, was destroyed by a french Exocet cruise missile fired from a French Super Etendard jet. I noted that many of the British sailors on duty shared the same "after shave" (rum breath). It's true !! They got their daily ration of grog (Pusser's Rum from the Virgin Islands).

My only ribbon is for marksmanship - I used a Colt Trooper with a 6" bbl to qualify. Shooting was not emphasized or encouraged.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 04-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
TJ1
User

Well it is kind of a club, your in or your not. You survived or you didn't.

TJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to TJ1 for your post:
Unread 04-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die. .... Country Joe And The Fish - Vietnam Song
Politicians and their sons should be the 1st to go ...
It ain't me, it ain't me I ain't no senator's son y'all ... Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son

In this WINNABLE conflict 58,148 were killed in Vietnam, 75,000 severely disabled, 23,214 were 100% disabled, 5,283 lost limbs and 1,081 sustained multiple amputations. Of those killed, 61% were younger than 21 years old. 11,465 of those killed were younger than 20 years old. Of those killed, 17,539 were married.

GOD bless these brave, courageous souls sacrificed by greedy, corrupt politicians.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 04-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I enlisted right out of college...got my draft notice the next day! Never did get the two synched so I went through two sets of processing and two physicals! Spent my enlisted time as a Nike Hercules Missile Fire Control Mechanic. Got a direct commission after almost three years. First assignment as an officer was in support of a German Hercules unit, then did an ITT to Vietnam in 1967. Interesting start to a 20-year career.
Ron
Unread 04-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #10
MikeP
User

In those days we all had a 6 year legal obligation to serve if required.
Part of the "Social Contract" we are born into. My generation and those before us generally accepted that.
During the VN days, draftees had a 2 year requirement. Army enlistees had 3 and Marines, Navy and Air Force had 4.
The lottery, which never began until 1969, supposedly made the selection more fair.
I lost my college deferment in 1966 after 3 semesters and went from 2S to 1A. That meant I was on my way. Like many thousands, I enlisted in order to get a better choice. Mine was Infantry with Airborne. I was fortunate enough to be selected for Special Forces and got to be with some outstanding motivated people. Did 4 years which was enough for me.
I never felt invested by anyone nor had any "Whoopee" moments. I always respected any of us who served, whatever they did or wherever they were.
I spent 20 months voluntarily in RVN, 16 months of which were in a remote border "A-Camp" with 8-10 other SF guys advising Cambodian and Montagnard irregulars in defending and maintaining their homes along the Cambodian border. Amazing and memorable experience for a kid off the farm.
I know that most who served then had no idea where VN was, and that they really did not know why we were there. A complicated many sided subject that can be perused by anyone interested.
For the most part, we accepted our obligation and made the best of it.
Most vets today will say that serving was a good experience and had a positive effect on their lives.
We earned a lot of benefits most of us used to some extent.
I have been a veteran advocate and taken a serious interest and involvement in veterans affairs for as long as I can remember.
VN Vets are all in our 70s and our time is quickly passing.
I do what I can which today involves a lot of funeral ceremony firing parties.
Our WW2 guys have hit their 90s. They are our fathers and few remain.
Korea Veterans never got any recognition or respect and that is a shame.
As a VN Vet, I don't really support the concept of a day just regarding us. Way too divisive and unrealistically exclusive.
November 11 is for all vets and should be observed accordingly. Just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web team.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	82547  

Name:	Web medcap2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	82554  

Name:	Web commotrail.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	82557  

Attached Images

MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 10 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 04-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
pmanton
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

1968 I was a brand new W-1. Off to the 101st Abn where I made it about 6 months before I was Med-evacued.

Paul
Salome, AZ.
pmanton is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to pmanton for your post:
Unread 04-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #12
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I had two(2) all expense paid trips to Vietnam, nearly back to back. I do not regret my time spent there for my Country. When the time came, I was more than ready to go home!! I, through the Grace of God, came home in one piece. I made lifetime friends that I am still in contact with to this day. There were times that I was a more than a little scared, but I made it through.

The folks that I have big problems with are Jane Fonda(I was there when she was) and all of the draft dodgers!! The ones that ran to Canada like Bill Clinton and others. I can not imagine living with the fact that doing so makes you a full blown coward. Apparently there are many folks that have no problem accepting that fact.

Many paid the total price, and many more paid a plenty for this Country. I salute my brothers and sisters. Huff out!!
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 04-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #13
TJ1
User

When you make par for the course.

TJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to TJ1 for your post:
Unread 04-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #14
Sonofeugene
User

I had a number of about 160 and figured I'd likely get called so I enlisted in June of 71. That way I could choose my MOS and avoid being anywhere near combat. I became a dental technician and with the highest graduating score in the history of the school, I got sent to Fitzsimmons Army Hospital just outside of Denver. I went back to the school for additional training (at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX) and then returned to Denver again where I stayed for the rest of my time in the army, probably because the full bird colonel liked my work.
Sonofeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Sonofeugene for your post:
Unread 04-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #15
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Thank You!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2021, 07:59 PM   #16
conniie
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Cantho VN 1969

This was my outfit 244th Aviation
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	244 th.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	82658  

Name:	261.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	82659  

Name:	cobra3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	82660  

Name:	mo.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	82661  

Name:	fly.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	82662  

Name:	thk.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	82663  

Name:	thk1.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	82664  

Name:	slick.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	82665  

Name:	vn1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	82666  

conniie is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to conniie for your post:
Unread 04-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #17
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
I enlisted right out of college...got my draft notice the next day! Never did get the two synched so I went through two sets of processing and two physicals! Spent my enlisted time as a Nike Hercules Missile Fire Control Mechanic. Got a direct commission after almost three years. First assignment as an officer was in support of a German Hercules unit, then did an ITT to Vietnam in 1967. Interesting start to a 20-year career.
Ron
Something ELSE we have in common Ron. My last overseas tour before retirement was as the communications Site Chief on a Nike Hercules air base in northern Italy. (Their missiles, our warheads ) long ago deactivated... about the same time I retired from the Army(1988)
Attached Images

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post: