LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-09-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
TBeardmore
User

Question Loose Safety

Hi everyone -

I'm new to the forum, so if I'm posting this question in the wrong area, I apologize. [img]wink.gif[/img]

I just got my first Luger, a byf42 military issue. It's in very good shape and all of the numbers match, except the take-down and side plate. But since I bought this as a shooter, that's not a major concern.

I won the Luger in an online auction last week and just took possession of the Luger today through my FFL. The saftey lever doesn't seem to want to stay in the firing position, and swivels between the "Gesichert" and Firing positions almost freely. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Although I can feel something of a click at the two detentes, I suspect that the nub on the backside of the safety lever's head may be worn down. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestion how to correct this short of replacing the safety lever (because its serial number matches the rest of the gun).

Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom Beardmore
(tom@beardmore.net)
TBeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Tom,

Welcome to the forum. There was a thread about loose/tight safeties earlier, can't remember whether it was on this forum or the "old" forum. Anyway, the main remedy was to remove the safety lever and very gently bend it so that it exerted more pressure against the frame. I would also suggest that after driving out the pin that holds the safety lever in place you examine the pin itself for defects. I had a Luger with a loose safety where the original pin had been replaced with a filed-down piece of soft steel, maybe a nail. I replaced the pin and it worked fine. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2002, 06:28 PM   #3
TBeardmore
User

Thanks Karl!

I tried your suggestion, and after gently bending the safety lever a bit, the latch locks properly in the detentes.

I also figured out a way to make a repair if the nib is completely worn away on the back of the lever. I have a Dremel drill press, and it would take little effor to drill a hole into the backside of the latch, where the nib is located. A small piece of rod (rounded at one end) could then be inserted into it using a press (or using Lock-tite). The assembly could then be re-installed, restoring the original function. This procedure would allow owners to preserve the matched s/n of the safety lever.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Tom
TBeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote