LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-31-2002, 12:19 PM   #1
Ziggy
New User

Post Grip Cleaning

I recently cleaned a pair of grips from a G date 1936 Luger according to Art Buchanan's instructions. They came out absolutely beautiful but, they seem to have enlarged a bit and don't fit exactly like they used to. Any suggestions?
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 12:32 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

The wood is probably still a little swollen form the moisture. Set them in a cool dry place and let them dry for a few days. I don't recommend any external heat source, might crack. I've had good results by placing such items over an air conditioner duct, no humidity and air flow helps.
Welcome to the forum.
RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 01:01 PM   #3
Tim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I cleaned a set using the same instructions and when I first tried them back on, they had warped very slightly. RK is correct, I put mine away in a de-humidified safe and when I tried the again (several weeks) later, they fit perfectly. I think this was because I paid so much attention to the checkered sides with a toothbrush and did very little to the "insides" I saturated one side more fully with the solvent. As they dried, they warped, but once fully dry, they fit just like when I took em off.
The intent of the second amendment was not to allow the private ownership of firearms. If it had been it would have said something like "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 02:00 PM   #4
Roadkill
User

My wife has a bakery and there are two huge gas ovens which stay warm because of the pilot lights and heat retention. I caught hell and it was made clear that I would never again use her ovens for drying out my gun stuff. I'd slip in a tray of whatever at night and it would be very dry and ready for bluing ect in the morning. Nice slow steady heat. I forgot to get it out before she got there once. Won't do that again. [img]wink.gif[/img]

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2002, 06:55 PM   #5
Heydrich
Banned

I cleaned mine with Q-tips and Hoppe's solvent. They looked so much better.
Heydrich is offline   Reply With Quote