LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-20-2001, 06:38 PM   #1
A.E. Bradshaw

Default 1913 DWM Luger

A friend of mine has a 9 mm Luger that belonged to his father. He wants to determine its value and, perhaps, to sell it.

The Luger is dated 1913, has serial number 37XX, has two clips, walnut grips, and a decent holster. There are numerous proof marks on the body of the gun. The serial numbers all match on the small parts. The bluing is worn where the pistol hit the holster, mostly at the end of the barrell but some other places too. The checkering on the grips and on the metal is still very distinct and sharp.

The holster is black leather, says "DLU 1944", has a sewn-in slot for an extra clip, has a flap that is secured by a metal horn, and has two leather loops on the back to slip over the belt.

I would guess that the belt is a late WWII issue holster that has nothing to do with what the pistol was bought for in 1913. The ornate initials on the top of the pistol suggests that the pistol is a DWM.

Any off the cuff ideas about its value? If he wanted to sell it, what would be the best way to do that?

TIA

Unread 09-20-2001, 09:35 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,102 Times in 1,428 Posts
Default Re: 1913 DWM Luger

TIA, Your friend has a desirable luger pistol. There are many items of interest that determine actual collector value that are too complicated to go into here. If the pistol is in very good shape with all the serial numbers matching then from what you say the pistol could be worth $600.00 To $1,000.00. Remember , to a collector there are things that add value and things that take it away. It is somewhat like coins, condition is everything. You can get the'' blue book of gun values ''at most big book stores and they explain the methods of grading and give you value ranges.

Once you have determined a value to your satisfaction , offer it here on the classifieds section with the price and you will probably sell it right away.

The holster, again depending on condition is worth anywhere from$80.00 to $250.00 Hope this helps. Jerry Burney

lugerholsterrepair@yahoo.com

Unread 09-21-2001, 02:32 AM   #3
mlm

wow, you hit the value ranges i emailed to AEB the same as me. i may drag my self to Denver this Sat to lurk at the Tanner show if Co Springs collector group offers me a ride. If you go, may see you there.

dm

Unread 09-21-2001, 10:41 AM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,102 Times in 1,428 Posts

DM, Would love to go as it is one of my favorite things...Sorry to say I am up to my ears in holster repairs and we are getting ready to venture off to our winter home in Yuma Az. I prefer to have quite a bit more information with wich to base an opinion as to price but folks new to the game only give so much...Thanks Jerry

Unread 09-22-2001, 10:34 AM   #5
tom h

It sounds as though your DLU44 holster may be for a P38. Most PO8 or P38 holsters dated 41 or after will have the model that it is for stamped on the back in the upper right hand corner. Also, if it was made for a luger, it will have a small pouch for a mag loading tool sewn into the inside of the flap.