LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 12-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Ron Smith
User

Default Speculation on a varied history...

This is a 1912/1920 Erfurt on auction. It is marked to 8/J.R.16.22. 8th Company/Infantry Regiment 16 weapon #22. With the 16 X'd out and Regiment 73 stamped above. To confuse the issue it is also marked Z.w.363. Which I believe indicates Zwichau Police.

Now for the real confusion. Circa 1920-1921 Freikorps units. segmented ex-patriot units under independent commands were running wild all over Germany. Each having alligence to whichever political faction they chose. There were actually shooting gun battles between these politically oriented units. Often involving the Police and Freikorps units or between the units with Police caught in the middle. The Gov't soon began to disband these "War Lord Bands" and absorb them into a single manageable National Army under one command, The Reichswehr.

Eventually there was a National Army of approx. 400,000 men under one command comprising at least 110 Infantry Regiments. The Allied commission ordered that it be reduced to a maximum of 100,000 comprised of 21 Infantry Regiments. Hence the confusion.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that this Luger changed units prior to the downsizing ordered by the Allied Commission. Possibly during a juggling of weaponry between units. If so, and it ended up in one of the final 21 Infantry Regiments? Why wasn't it re-marked to the new Regiment?

My guess is that it was replaced with a new issue 1920 or 1921 DWM and surplused out to the Zwickau Police. If I am correct, this would be a very intersting Luger with a very vast and interesting history.

Military issued to the Pre-War Imperial Army. Saw service during WWI. Re-issued to the flegling early Reichswehr Infantry Regt. 16, transfered to, or reformed as, Infantry Regt. 73 which was dis-banded , and then transferred to Police use at Zwickau. And very possibly saw service in A WWII Wermacht unit. Judging from the sanding marks on the grip strap. It may have been marked to an Imperial unit also.

Pretty much an entire unit mark collection on one Luger.

I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Good catch Ron. I would think it's conversion might have been late Weimar.
Merry Christmas
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Hi Geo,

As I stated on Still's forum. It never had either police safety. I wouldn't mind having it just for a curiosity, but other wants and needs prevail.

Merry Christmas back at ya. BTW neat card...Thanks. Due to my Father-in-laws illness we got side tracked and didn't get any sent out this year.

Merry Christmas to all our friends here...even Howard

Unread 12-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Geo and Don,

I sent you both e-mails on my ZW theory, but thought that I would post it for posterity. Or to make a fool of myself. However it turns out.

Early in 1919 a Paramilitary unit was formed. The Zeitfreiwilligen (Short Term Volunteers)later refered to as "Freiwilligen", made up of Nationalist college students and others , as a Freikorps reserve force to fight the Communists. This organization grew and spread rapidly across Germany. It remained in force as a Freikorps type organization well up to the dissolution of the Freikorps units and after. It was recognized and taken seriously by the German Gov't. and "maintained" by the Reichswehr as a reserve unit. Consisting of Artillery and Infantry units. Probably comparable to our National Guard.

Ref; The Reichswehr and the German Republic 1919-1926 by Harold Gordon.

Just a theory based on information I have found, but coincides with the high early 73rd Regiment stamp on the pistol.

Ron