LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 06-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Luger Display Pedestal Mount

Hello to all, I've recently been busy redesigning my latest G.T. Specialties offering... A Custom luger display mount for all those who wish to set out in display, that special P.08 that they like to keep out front of the herd!... This fixture replaces the wood stick or plastic stick that is prevalent on all the display stands now out there... This is a handmade high end item, and no two will be exactly the same, nor will they be cheap. But, they all will be nice...
I made the first one at the request of George Fortier, for his luger carbine display on a John V. Martz round stand..and, I might add, that George also had a hand in the devolopment ideas as we progressed toward the finished product.. The mount was angled so the unit could be displayed with the stock installed, and still clear the base plate. Not only was the angle critical, but the fixture/mount had to be strong to take whatever type of accident force that might come it's way..
This second stand is at a slightly sharper angle, as far as the muzzle pointing up a'bit more, and has been slightly re-designed to be as strong, and perhaps a little more asthetically pleasing?? Then the first unit...
I will explain more in a few days when George receives his second, and the last prototype stand, with pictures to follow..
All the mounts have the following in common, they all sport a complete MEC-GAR Luger magazine shell with the desired P.08 magazine base installed, to give the total appearance of a luger on a complete mag.. They will be made of the best materials I can find for their construction, and so far it has been, MEC-GAR mag assembly, aluminum 6061, Delrin black plastic, and European Walnut... The advantage to the magazine used as a mount is pretty straight forward, you can positively lock your pistol on using the mag catch, and remove it easly using the same.. you can also display the Luger using the hold open feature as the magazine still functions in that capacity... And, of course, hold dummy rounds if that is your desire... (firing pin removal recommended on ALL display guns for obvious reasons!) The price on these stands will be $200.00 to include shipping and made to your requested angle (three choices) and type of mag shell and mag bottom... If you should decide you'd like to have one.. Let me know and I'll get started, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Also, keep in mid that these are the mounting fixture only, the base plate can be what ever you can come up with, I have not found a source for that item, but there are plenty of nice ones already out there.. Thanks for all of you who have bought from me in the past, I appreciate it! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT

Last edited by G.T.; 06-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Kitkat041836
RIP

Btt
Kitkat041836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat041836 View Post
Btt
Why not post a pic???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Carbine model

Hi George, perhaps you can repost the pictures that were on Jan Stills sight of your Carbine set onto this forum, it would give at least a little glimpse of the quality in pic's, that I'm trying to convey in words... I know some are going to think the price a'bit tall, but when you are talking about a Luger that might go anywhere from $5K to $30K... and it is currently setting on a small wooden stick, the value of a strong positive locking display mount quickly comes into focus... ... Thanks for the time everyone.. and your intrest, best to all, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
I know some are going to think the price a'bit tall...
This is just the Mec-Gar shell, plus a modified mag base, and maybe some internal reinforcing for the shell??? And [we] customers get to pick a base of our own choosing from whatever we can come up with???

I'm thinking a nice marble base, perhaps from an old lamp, or a piece of black marble from a monument maker [tombstone remnant], might be nice...

Actually, now that I'm on that subject, there is a countertop place near me that has dozens of stone slabs for countertops...they must have small pieces left over...Hmmmm...I gotta look into this...
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Hi Rich..

Hi Rich, Yup! You pretty much got it! As far as the base material, a nice piece of granite or marble would be great, even in a roughed out form.. I once had a friend, (one once.. anyway) that was an accomplished artist, and he came out here to visit, this was at the heigth of the building construction boom, and we visited a counter top cutting place. They had a big pile of "BIG" cut off pieces that were free for the taking.. We loaded up his van with so much free scrap pieces that his van sagged on the rear springs, worring us a bit about the 1400 drive home.. He made it, and the marble and granite now adorn some pretty nice bronze sculptures!....... Believe me, the base is the easy part.. but necessarly heavy and hard to ship inexpensively.. I'm not to anxious to get into that arena, but will probably have to at some point in this journey... Oh, BTW, The mounting attachment bolt is a 5/16" X 18 thread and you couldn't bust it off with a hammer... OK, maybe with a big hammer.. .......til...lat'r...GT
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Oh, BTW, The mounting attachment bolt is a 5/16" X 18 thread...
That would be a useful way to 'get rid' of some of the spurious aluminum bases that crop up...or maybe some of the cast aluminum bases that have come up on GB & eBay lately...Make a slug to fit in the mag body (threaded); a through-hole in the aluminum mag base; and a long bolt from the bottom...The "mag" would stay with the base...

Just thinking out loud...
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

G.T. is making a much more elegant mount than the "blunt instrument" approach I took to making a photo setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	19688  

Name:	Setup.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	19689  

Name:	Gun.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	19690  

Unread 06-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default evolutionary scale...

Hi Rich & Ron, You guys are right on track on the evolutionary timeline on display stand construction.. and Ron, that is an elegant stand.. You just have to take it a level or two higher... Which, when using a small wood-working router / shaper table, means going thru a little bit of carbide schrapnel, blood, and starting over.. again, & again, & again.. well you get the picture... .... On a commercial level, I put integrity and strength first... no one wants to see their cartridge counter on, or going onto, a concrete or tile floor... usually, with my luck, with FAR more speed or energy then just dropping it!....... With Georges permission, and some additional pic's from him, I'm going to have my son post some pictures on the forum yet today... I hope you guys like what you see... Remember the hand made part when you look!...... best to all, til...lat'r...GT

Last edited by G.T.; 06-19-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Unread 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
hgreer2
Banned

It would work great in this display case.

Harry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00740.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	19698  

hgreer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Second stand, this is the pre-production prototype, ( shown as, "not yet finished, spring not installed, not pinned, and final finish to the wood bottom yet to be done") and also shows the second of three angles available... the aluminum bar stock in the picture is just for reference to level, so as to show the approx. angle of the mount & gun... The production mount will have a dark or blued rivet for the delrin block attachment, and will be slightly different under the block and bottom... for all practical purposes, this is it! I hope some of you guys like it.. the strength factor is evident in the pictures... Best to all, and thanks for looking! til...lat'r...GT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LUGER DISPLAY PEDESTAL 006.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	19699  

Name:	LUGER DISPLAY PEDESTAL 001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	19700  

Name:	LUGER DISPLAY PEDESTAL 002.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	19701  

Name:	LUGER DISPLAY PEDESTAL 003.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	19702  

Name:	LUGER DISPLAY PEDESTAL 004.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	19703  

Name:	LUGER DISPLAY PEDESTAL 005.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	19704  

Name:	LUGER DISPLAY PEDESTAL 007.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	19705  

Unread 06-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

First stand... This is the initial prototype and the very 1st completed effort to come out of my work shop, it is numbered "1" and stamped GT, (which is a no cost option) some like it, some don't, ... this stand hold the gun close to level, with just the slightest bit of muzzle rise to look it's best... The 2nd effort shown above is shaped a little different, for both better looks and ease of production... best to all, til...lat'r...GT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	19706  

Name:	013.JPG
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	19707  

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	19708  

Unread 06-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

GT..Fascinating!

Shops that build Sports trophy's would have a very large selection of pre made stands.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
hgreer2
Banned

Quote:
Hello to all, I've recently been busy redesigning my latest G.T. Specialties offering... A Custom luger display mount for all those who wish to set out in display, that special P.08 that they like to keep out front of the herd!... This fixture replaces the wood stick or plastic stick that is prevalent on all the display stands now out there... This is a handmade high end item, and no two will be exactly the same, nor will they be cheap. But, they all will be nice...
I made the first one at the request of George Fortier, for his luger carbine display on a John V. Martz round stand..and, I might add, that George also had a hand in the devolopment ideas as we progressed toward the finished product.. The mount was angled so the unit could be displayed with the stock installed, and still clear the base plate. Not only was the angle critical, but the fixture/mount had to be strong to take whatever type of accident force that might come it's way..
This second stand is at a slightly sharper angle, as far as the muzzle pointing up a'bit more, and has been slightly re-designed to be as strong, and perhaps a little more asthetically pleasing?? Then the first unit...
I will explain more in a few days when George receives his second, and the last prototype stand, with pictures to follow..
All the mounts have the following in common, they all sport a complete MEC-GAR Luger magazine shell with the desired P.08 magazine base installed, to give the total appearance of a luger on a complete mag.. They will be made of the best materials I can find for their construction, and so far it has been, MEC-GAR mag assembly, aluminum 6061, Delrin black plastic, and European Walnut... The advantage to the magazine used as a mount is pretty straight forward, you can positively lock your pistol on using the mag catch, and remove it easly using the same.. you can also display the Luger using the hold open feature as the magazine still functions in that capacity... And, of course, hold dummy rounds if that is your desire... (firing pin removal recommended on ALL display guns for obvious reasons!) The price on these stands will be $200.00 to include shipping and made to your requested angle (three choices) and type of mag shell and mag bottom... If you should decide you'd like to have one.. Let me know and I'll get started, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Also, keep in mid that these are the mounting fixture only, the base plate can be what ever you can come up with, I have not found a source for that item, but there are plenty of nice ones already out there.. Thanks for all of you who have bought from me in the past, I appreciate it! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
Hey GT, any place near you that does anodizing, I would like to have a gold one.

Harry
hgreer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I like the idea of a heavy metal (or marble, granite, etc) stand...If it should be dropped, it would land stand-side down...

(With a loud 'thud'...)
Unread 06-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default anodizing...

Hi Harry, I'll check it out... soft anodizing is not difficult, I might even be able to do it??... ....Hardcoat, tiz'a'whole'nother deal!...... I'll find out... thanks Harry, best to you, til...lat'r...GT
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Kitkat041836
RIP

Btt
Kitkat041836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

What does btt stand for? I know that I am not current on texting shorthand, so I need help.

Neil
Unread 06-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

I answered that in the thread started about the Ideal stock/holster. It means "bring to top". It makes an old posting more current so folks can see it when they visit the site and not have to burrow down through old dates to find it.
Unread 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Neil, That is one beautiful looking Artillery rig you have there!

By the way I discourage the use of BTT as it is mostly a waste of thread space. If there is something meaningful to add to a thread then add it but otherwise the thread is languishing with no more meaningful input. Please use it judiciously! (George)

GT..I like your magazine stand but I want to know... are you planning to make one without the bottom to accomodate the stock? Perhaps one with the magazine and a bolt beneath a small disc for stabalazation?

Great job by the way..

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote