LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Tim K
User

Default New to the forum and luger collecting.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tim and I reside in southern Ohio and am new to luger collecting. I believe lugers to be among the most elaborate and beautiful guns every made with so much heritage, history, character, and sheer beauty it is facinating to see such variations out there in collections and, in some cases, available on the market.

I do have a question. Is it wise to purchase a "Professionally Restored" luger? I am curious and personally like to see quality and beauty intertwined as is often portrayed in a well restored item.

I am really looking forward to communicating and sharing the fun of luger collecting with everyone.

Tim
Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Welcome.....perhaps as a opener, start hitting gun shows, look around and perhaps meet some of the LF members in your area...and read all you can get a hold of on the subject.....best to you
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi Tim, and welcome to the forum.

As you start acting on your interest in the Luger pistols, consider studying first. I call this "Luger University", and it involves identifying one of the eras that you're particularly interested in (Pre WW-I; WW-I; Weimar era; WW-II; Post WW-II) and obtaining the reference books on that era. This will help you understand what is "correct" about Lugers of each period for a given manufacturer.

If you're partial to beautiful pistols, consider the Swiss manufactured Lugers. They are remarkable. Bobba's book on Swiss Lugers is available directly from Italy at a reasonable price. (see Abe Books online for a connection to the "DEA Store" in Italy). It's under $51.

Luger collectors value pistols most highly in their original factory state. That means that any wear; alteration; refinishing or restoration reduces the value of a Luger pistol. Rarity can trump this in some cases; but doesn't end up pushing the value of a restored pistol above that of an original. Of course, this can help you obtain a variation at a lower cost - just don't expect it to appreciate as a more collectable one would.

There is nothing like inspecting an original high condition collectable Luger in person. The photos can't communicate accurately things like finish appearance. For that reason, I like to attend shows that are geared toward firearms collectors. At a recent collector's show in Salisbury NC I was able to examine several from different eras, and get a good idea of how original condition Lugers should appear. Do this any time you can.

At regular gun shows in my area, I see the majority of Lugers overpriced for their condition, and / or misrepresented. It's easy to make a mistake. For that reason the reference books are a great value if you're serious - even at the apparent high cost.

If it's true that the upcoming George Sturgess book will be available on DVD at $35 a copy, get one - it's a bargain. (Simpson's will be selling the book sets).
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Nothing wrong with restored Lugers. The thing you don't want to do is pay a collector price for it, unless it's extremely rare in some form.

Restored Lugers ( restored exactingly) are considered a notch or two above shooter grade.

Welcome to the forum...
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Tim K
User

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, I will certainly go with it.

Tim
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
paid4c4
User

Tim, I agree with you about Lugers being beautiful pistols. I'm just a freshman at Luger University and study every chance I get. I just bought my second one which is listed in the All P-08 Military Lugers section: 1941 byf P-08 Military Luger PHOTO'S ADDED. I don't know enough to advise you but I wanted to say hi as I live in Northern Kentucky, sure is a small world.
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
padredan
User

tim welcome to the forum, good luck.
Unread 07-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
Tim K
User

Hey Bill,

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live in northern, Kentucky? I am right across the river from the Maysville/Augusta, KY area...in Georgetown, Ohio.

Tim
Unread 07-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
Tim K
User

Hi Patron,

Thanks for the welcome. Got a trivia question for you? Which state has a capital named after a color?

Tim

By the way I like your quote. There's a great deal of truth in it.
Unread 07-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
paid4c4
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
Hey Bill,

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live in northern, Kentucky? I am right across the river from the Maysville/Augusta, KY area...in Georgetown, Ohio.

Tim
Tim, we live at the top on I75 hill off of Kyles Lane. I've been to Georgetown and you have a really nice place. National Gun Day will be held at the Louisville, Ky State Fairgrounds on September 22 and 23. There are a number of Luger dealers at the show.
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
CJS57
User

Welcome! My advice is don't buy restored Lugers unless you can sell them and make money. They have there place in the situation where the gun was damaged beyond recognition, was previously reblued and now it is re-reblued to a better standard or it is a family heirloom. But for collecting it is the kiss of death. Restored guns make your whole collection suspect as well!
CJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Tim K
User

Chris,

Thanks for the advice about restored lugers.

Tim