LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
Thor
User

Smile Special Thanks to John Dunkle

John has went above and beyound the call for us-AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
Natalie's parents gave us a new computer for Christmas so we were very blessed. The old one had problems with its CD drive and other things. Over the past few years, we have amassed a HUGE volume of Luger, and other pistol, photos that we wanted to transfer to the new one and then we will cut a CD on it to preserve the images for our business. We had the daunting task of either email them to ourselves to down load on the new computer or use a 1.4 Meg floppy which would have taken FOREVER, or close to it. John Dunkle came up with this very cool and quick method to transfer files through our USB port to our DIGITAL CAMERA and then back to the new computer the same way. Zip drives or networking would probably have worked too, but this method he came up with was just the ticket for us. We will probably finish tomorrow this task. Thanks John, for this and countless other things you have done for us!!! May God bless you and Jen and your family!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts
Yes Thor, switching between "new" and old 'puters is a pain! Experienced it myself recently with a new work laptop, hadn't thought about the digital camera trick, but was able to use the IR ports.

Sharing problems and ideas is great and having friends like John makes life worthwhile!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
CG of MP
User

Congrats on the transfer Thor....

Your plan to cut a CD and make backups is right on the money... You have just decided to save yourself a lot of potential pain.

At my 'real' job I am responsible for (amongst other things) certain types of data protection.

The cornerstone to this protection is BACKUPS.

I have a pocket full of horror stories from people who had of one-of-a-kind photos such as baby pictures, deceased relative photos and other data being forever lost because a hard drive went down for whatever reason. Viruses, hardware failure, simple error etc all cause irreplaceable digital photographs and other data to be forever lost.

It sounds like you have some very valuable stuff on that HD, and writing the stuff to CD is a great backup scheme for this sort of stuff.

Charles
CG of MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
simoon
User

I have been in the data protection business for a long time... I've listened to people in tears having lost their business data, and a writer his manuscript. It amazes me that people don't take steps...
Go through your system and decide what you can and can't live without.
Back it up!
There are many ways. Tape drives, cd drives, DVD drives, zip drives, memory sticks, other computers.
Get it offsite!
Your backup doesn't do you any good if it is stolen with the computer or god forbid a fire. Fireproof safes don't work for tapes and cd's!

For what it's worth