LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-04-2001, 09:26 PM   #1
Ad.

Default OT-Shipping pistols

Can I legally ship a modern pistol directly to my brother in law; or must we use FFL intermediaries? Also, may I pack a modern pistol in my checked airline luggage; notifying the airline of the contents of the checked luggage? Finally, can anyone recommend a good summary of such arcane issues? Thanks, Ad.

Unread 06-04-2001, 10:00 PM   #2
Mike T.

Default Re: OT-Shipping pistols

My understanding is:

If your brother-in-law is out of state, you have to go through the FFL route.

You can check the pistol if you put it in a locked hard-cased container and then pack the container in your locked suitcase. You will then have to notify the airline at check in. The airline will have to physically check the pistol to make sure it is not loaded, so be prepared to unpack it out of your luggage (in other words, make sure the underwear in your bag is clean). Including even one round of ammo in the luggage is a very big no-no. Whether or not you are violating state law wherever you are going by carrying a suitcase with a gun in it after landing is a totally different matter altogether.

Finally, it is not a legal defense to any gun violation that you were following the advice of someone on the internet.

Good luck.

Unread 06-04-2001, 10:13 PM   #3
Ad.

Default Thanks, Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike. I understand, and will heed, your comment about relying on advice on the internet. Ad.

Unread 06-04-2001, 10:19 PM   #4
Dok
RIP

Default ROFL - I love that last line! :D (EOM)

Unread 06-05-2001, 08:47 AM   #5
REB

I broght a Broom back via American Airlines. They wanted it in a locked hard case that they tagged as containing a firearm and then they checked it with the normal baggage. They asked if the gun was unloaded, but did not open the box.

Unread 06-05-2001, 10:49 PM   #6
Ad.

Good to hear that AA gave you no trouble about your Broomhandle. I'm heartened. I want to cheer up my ill brother-in-law with a gift of my Colt Mk IV when we visit him next. Thanks for your reply. Ad.

Unread 06-06-2001, 08:11 AM   #7
Marvin
User

Ad,

I usually travel by Delta Airlines and I have carried handguns with me and no problem. All I do is have them in a hard case with a latch, magazine out of the pistol, and NO ammo. They have me sign a statement that is unloaded and I put a tag inside my luggage and padlock the luggage for my security. There is no indication a handgun is in the bag. Delta was very easy to deal with on this.

Marvin

Unread 06-06-2001, 08:45 PM   #8
Mike T.

Even if you bring the pistol to your brother-in-law, if he is in another state you will have to (if you want to do it legally) transfer the gun to your brother-in-law's FFL dealer who will then transfer it to your brother-in-law. My local dealer charges $10 a gun for this service.

I believe this moronic law was passed around 1998 when someone shot somebody at the Empire State Building in New York using a pistol the killer had legally purchased in Virginia. Now, if you wish to commit a homicide with a firearm, you have to acquire it in your home state to avoid violating federal law. It would make as much sense to outlaw red automobiles because the perpetrator drove to the murder scene in a crimson Firebird.

Enough of my preaching to the choir. I just resent the fact that my father could not give me his Smith & Wesson because he moved into another state.

Unread 06-06-2001, 11:39 PM   #9
ViggoG
RIP

This smacks of another Registeration scheme.

Any firearm moved across State lines becomes automatically regestered and the owner traceable. Ask any of our on line registered dealers who have to maintain these records for the BATF to periodically inspect and in some cases copy for who knows what purpose.

Wont be long before the majority of arms in the US will be easily traced and confiscated if someone in power wants to follow this course.

Sit Down , Place your head between your knees , the bomb is coming , ask the Aussies and soon the Canadians.

Just my evaluation of whats ahead.

I have No intention of dying for freedom. (that dont make sense) BUT I DAMMED WELL INTEND TO DIE A FREE MAN DEFENDING MY RIGHTS. (that do'se)

ViggoG

Unread 06-07-2001, 12:22 AM   #10
Ad.

I agree, the law makes no sense. Nevertheless, I want to give my brother-in-law the Colt (primarily because he's a nice guy and wants one), without causing him any problesm). So, I'll pay my FFL $15 and he'll pay his FFL whatever; and he'll have a nice piece that I don't shoot so much any more. On a happier note, I now know that when I DO get a C&R license and IF I get invited to Ralph's, I can bring back something without hassle; as long as I pack it properly and notify the airline. Thanks for your interest and suggestions, Marvin, Mike and Viggo. Ad.