LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-31-2002, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Luger trigger and sights

I am a new Luger owner, but an old time 1911 shooter and tinkerer. All of my guns must shoot or out they go. My 1936 Mauser shooter hits high and to the left with 5 loads and the trigger pull must be 25 pounds. Do you have any ideas on drifting the front sight over--I've failed? I'm about to widen the rear sight notch to the right. Can I remove the trigger to get at the return spring by removing the top end from the gun and then pushing out the pin or do I have to remove more internals? Thanks for any answers.

Unread 04-01-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Luger trigger and sights

AGE,

I recently posted some articles on tuning the Luger triggger. Do a search on this site for "trigger tuning" and read them.

Unread 04-01-2002, 11:05 AM   #3

Thanks. I am new to this forum. How do I do a search for trigger tuning? I've tried Tech. Info. General Info. etc.

Unread 04-01-2002, 11:34 AM   #4
66mustang

AGE, click on message board, then you'll see search and click on it, then put in your choice of search terms.

Make sure you put a time period to search and search. Try a few combinations of words, and you can get lots of searchs.

ed

Unread 04-01-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
Johnny Peppers
User

The hard trigger pull may be contributing to your shooting to the left if you are right handed.

Unread 04-01-2002, 03:54 PM   #6

Thanks guys. Brownell's makes a sight pusher for ramped sights. They want about $60 for the thing (do you think it would work?). This might solve my windage problem. I am a little slow to jump on this for my one time job. My gun is a 1936 reblued Mauser shooter - nice job, straight edges and sharp lettering - all numbers match but I can't read the script letter under the serial number (might be a k). Functions perfectly with 3 loads and gives a 2" group sandbagged. Yes the trigger is tough, but I'm sure that I've shot it enough sandbagged and offhand that the sight zero is 3" high and 2" left at 50 ft. (a little disappointing to an old target shooter)

Unread 04-01-2002, 04:54 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Possible solution to sight correction

AGE,

Since you obviously are not interested in the collector value you can modify the sights to shoot where you want them to shoot. The first problem I would tackle is the vertical one... the front sight blade from a P38 will fit in a Luger and they are available in several different heights. The big advantage to you as an old target shooter is that the front sight of a P38 is squared like you are used to instead of being an inverted V. Once you have determined the correct height, you can then judicioulsy square the rear sight notch and carefully move the notch to a location to correct your sight picture for the load you intend to shoot in it.

Good Luck...

John Sabato

PS- You can probably make a deal with whoever you get your P38 front sights from to send you all of the various heights and once you select the correct one you can send the balance back for a refund... Try TOm Heller in the Links & Resources section...

-JS

Unread 04-01-2002, 04:54 PM   #8
R. Grady/Roadkill

Sir,

You obviously know what you are doing and can shoot better than I can, the only suggestion I can offer is to slug the bore and check the true diameter versus the bullets you are using. Also the wear on the crown may be a factor.

Either or a combination of both can cause the variance. Show a little respect for age on an old gun. It sounds like the trigger could use adjustment though.

Roadkill

Unread 04-02-2002, 12:55 AM   #9

Thanks John, Roadkill and Rick for responding. John, I don't believe I want to switch to a P38 sight. I don't mind impact 3" above sighting point at 50 ft. since I normally use a 6 o'clock hold and the elevation will probably be about right on a bullseye target at 25 - 50 yards. I've gotta correct the windage though. I did a similar fix to widen the notch on a SAA replica and it was unnoticable. Again, my Luger is a shooter. Thanks for your comments Roadkill, I'll also have to work on the trigger -- Hugh sent me an article on trigger cleanup -- maybe too complex for me to attempt, at least right now. Rick, the Brownells sight pusher isn't too massive, just an aluminum block with screw and opposing bearing points to contact barrel and sight.

Al (AGE)

Unread 04-02-2002, 10:17 AM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Let us know how you make out Al... (EOM)