LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-08-2002, 05:27 AM   #1
alex
User

Default Need help to identify... Newbie

Hey guys, I just recieved a Luger today that a friend picked up at an estate sale. Ill detail the markings that I can see, any hints or tips to its identity would be greatly appreciated.

1. Toggle Inscription is BYF

2. Chamber inscription is 42

3. The toggle knobs are round but rough with ridges

4. not sure about the grip safety

5. There is a thumb safety with GESICHERT written beside it

6. It has P-08 below the toggle knobs

7. The grip is a black plastic

8. It has a 2112 marking on the front on the side with the safety. and all the other parts have 12 on them

9. The proof on it is number 46, it looks like 2 tri-planes and then the luftwaffe eagle carrying a circle, but underneath both the plane markings there is a 135. I also have the luftwaffe symbol on the barrel itself and one just below the chamber inscription on the left side, both of these markings are much smaller.

10. Im not sure of the calibre as I havent had a chance to put any shells against it, im guessing 9mm though.

11. And it came in an old leather case which smells almost like smoked salmon..

Any info anyone could email or post for me would be greatly appeciated.. Thank you very much.

Alex

Unread 01-08-2002, 06:11 AM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: Need help to identify... Newbie

Hello Alex,

Let me give you a bit of information:

1. Toggle Inscription is BYF

This means it is a Mauser.

2. Chamber inscription is 42

Made in 1942

3. The toggle knobs are round but rough with ridges

Believe this is normal, but unsure, books aren't in the room

4. not sure about the grip safety

Does this mean there isn't one? That should be correct.

5. There is a thumb safety with GESICHERT written beside it

Normal

6. It has P-08 below the toggle knobs

7. The grip is a black plastic

8. It has a 2112 marking on the front on the side with the safety. and all the other parts have 12 on them

This is the serial number. Any script letters after or below the number? If not, then it is #2112 of the series.

9. The proof on it is number 46, it looks like 2 tri-planes and then the luftwaffe eagle carrying a circle, but underneath both the plane markings there is a 135. I also have the luftwaffe symbol on the barrel itself and one just below the chamber inscription on the left side, both of these markings are much smaller.

This should be normal, can we see pictures of any of this?

10. Im not sure of the calibre as I havent had a chance to put any shells against it, im guessing 9mm though.

Shold be 9mm for this year.

11. And it came in an old leather case which smells almost like smoked salmon..

I like smoked salmon.

So, most of this I grabbed from the technical area of the forum and memory, so if I was wrong, please correct me, ;>)

Ed

Unread 01-08-2002, 09:21 AM   #3
Dok
RIP

Welcome to the Luger Forum Alex. If your pistol is original (and it would appear to be) I believe you have what is commonly referred to as a "Black Widow". This is a marketing term rather than a true variation, but cool never the less.

I would strongly caution you against firing your pistol, as a small internal part could get broken, and yes even the firing pin should have the number "12" on it. Your pistol could be worth in excess of a $1000 (I'll let the collectors deal with that one) and a broken part will reduce the value by at least 66%) to around $300-$400. So it's your call.

Sounds like you have a great collectible. Look in the Technical Information section where you will find all sorts of markings that will help you indentify all thost stamps you see.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 01-08-2002, 12:03 PM   #4
alex
User

Thank you both very much, Mustang If I had Smoked Salmon Id send you some..hahahah... As for the grip safety there is none. And Dok there is a 12 on the firing pin. Im going to borrow a friend digital camera within a couple days And Ill send some pics in for you both. You know when I asked

for something to protect my house that didnt have to be new, I guess he took me seriously.. hehe, and thank you for the tip on not firing it, I probably would have destroyed it within a week. The only thing that made me realize how old it was, was those proof markings. So with the number 46 proof markings that it has, it is listed as a mauser military. Thank you both again for the quick responce and Ill have you pics ASAP.

Alex

Unread 01-08-2002, 01:45 PM   #5
Mike T.

My wife served some smoked salmon last night and the kids loved it and kept yelling "More fish! More fish! More fish!" I guess it was salmon chanting evening.

Unread 01-08-2002, 01:50 PM   #6
Steve Lempitski
User

Default Hey comic - keep your day job! (EOM)

Unread 01-08-2002, 02:19 PM   #7
66mustang

Default Re: Hey comic - keep your day job!

Steve that because you and Me can't say salmon chanting eveerngjng, salmon charting everjhgk, uh, salmon night worth a darn!

ed

Unread 01-08-2002, 02:30 PM   #8
Dok
RIP

Default GROAN...... :( (EOM)