LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-14-2001, 10:29 PM   #1
Addison Yeaman, Jr.

Default Help for a Newbie

Is there a Luger collector/expert, preferably in the DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland area, able/willing to advise a Glock 17/Colt 1911A1 owner who has gotten the urge to acquire a Luger "shooter" with, hopefully, some additional historic qualities; approximate top budget circa $1500? I realize the question is equivalent to saying, "I own a couple of cars; what should I buy now"? Simply stated, what would YOU buy with that budget? Post either to the message board, or reply by e-mail to ayeaman@erols.com. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Unread 04-15-2001, 12:55 AM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: Help for a Newbie

If you are looking for an historic Luger that you can shoot without worrying that it will devalue it if something breaks, and you are looking in the $1500 price range..well, (my opinion) look for something that is mismatched, reblued, and in fine mechanical condition in nine millimeter that has something 'unique' about it. 'Unique' is the operative word as it means something different to everybody. Off the top of my head I would say that a very unique example of Lugers is the artillery model. Long barrel, flip up sights, lots of history..but possibly hard to find for $1500 (which is high for most shooters). You might want to check the classifieds here and also the links and resources section. (While you are at it, welcome to the Luger Forum, make yourself comfortable, and look at all the resources that are here. You might see something that catches your eye in the owners corner or read something that sounds interesting to you in the general information section. Personally speaking, there are no Lugers that don't have a special appeal so take your time deciding). For the money you have budgeted you can buy a shooter and a collector, actually.

Unread 04-15-2001, 05:58 AM   #3
Kyrie
User

Hi Addison,

I'd suggest first deciding which era of Luger production rings your bell the loudest. Pre-Great War? WWI Imperial? Weimar Commercial? Weimar Police/Military? Early Third Reich? War time Third Reich? Or perhaps an Artillery or Navy Luger?

It is possible to find a "shooter" Luger in any of these general categories for $1500 or less (and usually much less). But before we go hunting, let's decide the game we are stalking

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 04-15-2001, 01:11 PM   #4
dm
User

Your analogy to cars is a good one. If you asked, "I have become interested in MG-TD's, what would be a good one to drive with some historic interest?" There are modern reproductions that are good to drive or you can buy an original but there is risk to drive it. With lugers, you can buy an original but if you shoot it with its original grips, those 60 or more year old grips will probably crack on the right side (thin rib on back) and the damage to the original grips, numbered to the gun, will be great. The same risk applies to breaking the firing pin, though it is less likely to happen than cracking the grip.

On the other hand, a new made luger or an old luger already worn or with switched-out parts, can be a good shooter. If it has original grips, put on some $20 replacements for shooting and save the $80+ wood ones. Stoeger sells stainless lugers that are probably indistinguishable in shooting from a 1940 luger (and may be more reliable, too).

A collectible luger from before 1945 that you would not want to shoot will cost you about $1000 and up. A shooter luger new or old will be about $650 or $500 respectively unless you are a collector with an ffl who can find a bargain.

The luger is a pleasant gun to hold and a finicky gun to shoot. But the devotees of lugers look well beyond those characteristics in their thoughts of the "parabellum"

dm

Unread 04-15-2001, 10:24 PM   #5
MK

I am in no way a Luger expert but I can tell you what I've seen recently. Very good condition Lugers that are from the 1920's through 1942 that at least "match" externally can be had from $450 up. These will vary from German reworks of WWI Lugers that were re-done in the 1920's and would include what are fairly common WWII Lugers that have been either refinished, touched up, had a part or two replaced or have some other problem that makes them no longer "collectable" but which are good representative pieces that can be used for shooting.

Then there are the former EastBloc rebuilt WWII capture weapons that are refurbished and recently imported. These Eastern Front captured pistols are the low-end of the shooters currently available and you should be able to find one for an inexpensive price.

$1500 will buy you any one of various period collectable Lugers of the more common variety. It would not really be something you would EVER shoot.

$1500 would be an entry level colletor's grade pistol and far too much to pay for a shooter.

Mike