LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-10-2002, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Cheap Ammo Question

I've always been a reloader for the 1911. However, there is a lot of cheap 9mm ammo on the market. Does anybody know for sure if it is noncorrosive? In particular, Wolf (Russian) ammo is available in both hollowpoint and round nose. Both function well in my S&W and the round nose works well in my 1936 Luger. Is there any chance this stuff is corrosive?

Unread 04-10-2002, 11:58 AM   #2
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default Ammo Question

It does not make any difference if you CLEAN YOUR GUNS after firing! I presume all ammo is corrosive, for that reason.

Orv Reichert

Unread 04-10-2002, 03:14 PM   #3
MarcC

Default Re: Ammo Question

I know a lot of guys down the range who shoot that stuff, you get what you pay for! Is it corrosive??? I don't know what type of primers the Russians use, aren't these the same guys who dipped blued all those nice captured P38's and Lugers?

My suggestion is to spend the extra buck or two and buy the better quality ammo or just get a set of reloading dies for 9mm.

Unread 04-10-2002, 04:10 PM   #4
Aaron
Banned

Not only is it absolutely NOT corrosive, it is the cleanest ammo I have ever used. After shooting my bores look so bright I often don't bother to clean them for weeks. Wolf ammo is also extremely reliable. Have just fired 1000 rounds full auto in an AK with not one hangup!

Unread 04-10-2002, 04:46 PM   #5
MarcC

I just don't like ammo in metal cases, don't shoot Blazer either! Plus if I shoot factory, I keep the brass to relaod.

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:22 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

I always thought corrosive had to be cleaned with soap&water, that nitro cleaning solvent didn't clean out the corrosive matter.

Also, with Wolf ammo, if you are shooting at an indoor range make sure that they permit its use--some don't.

--Dwight

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:30 PM   #7
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Dwight; do you shoot at Johnson Creek?

Lonnie

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:00 PM   #8

Hi Guys, I'm back,

Aaron, thanks for your answer. It seems like everyone else has some ax to grind. Historically, I have shot many hundreds of rounds several times a week. If I cleaned my guns each time, they would all be worn out from cleaning. My tight 1911's do require a little after 50 rounds, and maybe a brushing of the chamber. Otherwise I clean each one every few years, whether they need it or not. However, corrosive ammo common before the 1950's did require lots of cleaning like Dwight indicates with special bore cleaners, etc.

Guess I'll assume the Wolf stuff is noncorrosive.

Unread 04-10-2002, 08:30 PM   #9
Steve
User

Default Re: Indoor range

I do not shoot at Johnson Creek but I do at The Place to Shoot and they do not allow Wolf ammo.

Unread 04-10-2002, 10:43 PM   #10
Dwight Gruber
User

Lonnie,

Nope, I shoot at a range called The Place To Shoot, in Portland, Oregon.

--Dwight

Unread 04-11-2002, 12:58 AM   #11
Dan44
User

I stay away from Wolf 9mm. I tried it in my Luger and the casings would stick in the chamber. Now I just use S&B 9mm, that works great.

Unread 04-11-2002, 01:25 AM   #12
Thor
User

Dan, does the S&B load seem a little hotter than the standard loading from Winchester, Remington? Thanks! Thor

Unread 04-11-2002, 01:59 AM   #13
Dwight Gruber
User

Default 9mm ammo--a mini-survey?

I've never used Wolf, when I started shooting again it was at TPtS, so I just never bought any.

Federal American Eagle works well enough in my guns. My Lugers and my Radom choke on Speer (anything with a flat nose, or soft-nose, seem to be bad), all of them seem to like C&C Blazer pretty well. I found some Winchester full-jacket at a gun show, I need to pick up some more as this may be the best going.

I've been shooting some local commercial reloads recently (cheap), they don't seem to be terribly accurate and I find that reloads sometimes seem to be inadequately crimped and the bullets push back into the cases a little bit--guaranteed to jam. Also, for some odd reason, the -second- round in the magazine often stovepipes instead of chambering--regardless of the magazine or the gun! Its not going to remain a problem, as soon as I have shot these up I won't be buying anymore of -those-!

Thats pretty much it for the commonly available commercial ammunition here. Some more eotic brands (import) show up at gun shows, I guess I'm in for some experimentation.

Going back to some comments at the beginning of this discussion, I find that if I keep my Lugers (and Radom, too) clean, they operate much better. My P-38 seems to be pretty immune to feeding problems regardless of ammunition or cleanliness.

--Dwight

Unread 04-11-2002, 02:13 AM   #14
JAMES
User

Default Re: Cheap Ammo Question

It isn't corrosive, I have some old cases of it and they have no rust or corrosion on their insides. However, the laquer on the cases powders off and gets everywhere (I mean EVERYWHERE!) and is a pain to get it out of the nooks and crannies.

Unread 04-11-2002, 04:27 AM   #15
Jesse
User

I guess I have always been lucky, all of my Lugers will shoot any ammo with out no jams (ball,JHP,etc) and as far as wolf ammo goes I have never had any problem at all with it, I have shot over 15,000 rnd of 7.62x39mm through my SKS with no duds and good accuracy.

Jesse

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:39 AM   #16
stup

I believe that Wolf ammo is manufactured by the same plant that provides military rounds. It is not corrosive, (it's new manufacture, not old stock). Modern military spec ammo is usually pretty good.

I can get it around here for ~$5 a box and have shot it in UZI, MP5, Hi Power, CZ 75 and Tokarev with no problems, (so far). I've got to say I like it for plinking because it's cheap, accurate enough, and reasonably clean.

Why won't some ranges allow it ? Is it because they make no margin selling it or they can't re-claim the brass, (a jealously guarded privilege at my local range !) ?

Unread 04-11-2002, 10:13 AM   #17
Dwight Gruber
User

I asked at the range I frequent. They told me that Woldf ammo is extraordinarily smoky, and tends to obscure adjacent lanes.

--Dwight

Unread 04-11-2002, 11:35 AM   #18
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Dwight and Steve; I belong to Johnson Creek Gun Club in Portland and you can shoot anything. It costs $100 a year for unlimited access and a keycard. You can take 2 non members for free. I am going in an hour or so to wring out a Luger and P-38.

Lonnie

Unread 04-11-2002, 12:14 PM   #19

Thanks everyone. I am glad to hear the Wolf ammo is noncorrosive. I've found my P08 unreliable with the 147 gr. hollowpoints which work perfectly in my S&W 3914. Will try the Wolf roundnose stuff when I get my grips back from Hugh.

Unread 04-11-2002, 06:33 PM   #20
stup

I have to say that the stuff I've shot, (all 9mm), doesn't seem any smokier than domestic. Now Baikal shotgun cartridges........