LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-08-2001, 02:44 PM   #1
Scott

Default Luger

We inherited a luger from my grandfather some years past and didn't really think anything of it until we saw the same luger on the history channel. It has no date stamp but has a stamp of a fairly large American eagle. I believe it's one of the block of guns Luger sent to United States for testing purposes in the hopes that we would purchase the gun. Apparently the military didn't like the caliber and opted for something else. After reading more on it, it does seem like this is the case. Does anyone have any more information or know where I can get it?

Appreciated much,

Scott

scott@jaspin.com

Unread 02-08-2001, 02:59 PM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Scott, there are several references

If you are looking for some nice pictures, try Lugers at Random, by Charlie Kenyon. If you are looking for the story try The Luger Pistol, by Fred Datig. If you would supply the serial number and perhaps a photo, someone on the Forum would supply you some information. Good Luck!!

Unread 02-08-2001, 03:33 PM   #3
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Scott...

First - Welcome to the Board...!!!

Second, there are a number of things that could help determine exactly what you have (if that's what you'd like)...

First - a picture or detail pictures would be really terrific! Also, there were a number of various types/calibers imported into the USA - yes, for the Military Trials as well as those imported with the Eagle stamped on the chamber for commercial sales. From your brief description above - it's tough to know which yours would be.. Finally - a serial number and description of the markings and/or proof stamps would be more then helpful as well...

Frank also points to some great reference materials as well, so it would be interesting to know what you learn.. If this crew can assist in any way - just feel free to ask!!

Unread 02-08-2001, 04:00 PM   #4
Scott

Default Re: Hi Scott...

Thanks for your help . I believe this is the serial number : 15-124.

Unread 02-08-2001, 04:42 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Thanks Scott..

I'll try to find that tonight (contrary to popular belief on this Board - I don't lug my Luger book library into the office evryday. HOWEVER, I am convinced that SOME FOLKS DO!!!

On another note - does yours have what are called "dished toggles" - in other words - the ears tht you grab to **** the weapon - are they flat and checkered, or are they "dished" (are not flat - sort of concave?)?

Unread 02-08-2001, 04:51 PM   #6
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Scott, see if this makes sense !!

The serial number is on the front frame just below the barrel. I will go on the assumption that the number is 15124. If the main toggle is dished like John D. describes, then you have a 1900 American eagle. It should use a 7.65mm (30 Luger Cartridge) and it should have a 4 3/4 inch long barrel. If these assumptions are not correct, I need more information.

Unread 02-09-2001, 02:43 PM   #7
RET
User

Default Hello Scott

Welcome to the board!

You might click on the "Technical Information" link and then the "Identification Sheets" link and then download the ID sheet (or click here). This might help you quickly sort out what you have even if you have gotten other references already.

Best regards,

Bob

Unread 02-10-2001, 07:37 AM   #8
tom heller

Default Re: Luger

Scott, Your 15xxx range American Eagle luger, does appear to be a M1900, which was the type tested by the US Calvery in 1903, but most of these were in the 6099 to 7098 range with a few (up to 100) fill ins in the 7xxx range. If your desire the full details of these test, I sell Michael Reese's exc book "1900 Luger US test trials" for $15 postpaid. He published all the know reports on these test available from the National Archives after a lot of research.