LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 11-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Springs'n'things???

I've been messing around with some of my shooters, and up until now.. I was just happy to get them to work...... But recently, I've been paying more attention to trigger pull and other seemingly simple modifications, that are in reality, pretty difficult to do without compromising safety and function... So, getting them to work as issued is relatively easy, as all the springs are usually stronger then necessary, probably for military requirments as well as other un-known issues... But when i start thinking about reducing some of the tensions, I realize how the different springs interact with the guns function, and also with other springs functions... For instance, a lighter main spring, and lighter firing pin spring could do wonders to lighten a trigger pull, as well as the trigger return spring, and sear bar return spring... but how far is going to be to far?? When do you end up with a full auto Luger, or one that won't always go off?? ...... food for thought.. best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,186 Posts

GT,

Nice

I found that tinkering with the trigger spring itself can really have an impact on the quality of the trigger pull. My Mauser Parabellum has a lousy trigger pull and a relatively weak trigger spring. Swapped it with that of a Swiss 06/29 and the trigger pull changed dramatically. Never thought it would have such an effect.

Alternatively, another weird little spring with unexpected qualities is that of the extractor.

During our conversations with the former manager of Mauser Jagdwaffen GmbH, Prof. Dr. Rolf Gminder, he also reminded us of a patent he registered himself. Rolf designed a very elegant adjustable main spring. Basically the spring guide is equipped with andjustable (screw-in / screw-out) 'head' that can be adjusted with a screwdriver through a hole in the bottom of the frame.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
During our conversations with the former manager of Mauser Jagdwaffen GmbH, Prof. Dr. Rolf Gminder, he also reminded us of a patent he registered himself. Rolf designed a very elegant adjustable main spring. Basically the spring guide is equipped with andjustable (screw-in / screw-out) 'head' that can be adjusted with a screwdriver through a hole in the bottom of the frame.
Vlim -

Did the good doctor ever register it with the US Patent office??? I've been copying US patents from Mauser and Borchardt, and I'd like to see what he came up with...

The only US Patent I could find for Gminder, Rolf is -

Firearm having trigger blocking mechanism US Patent # 4,016,669 April 12, 1977
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,186 Posts

No Idea if he did. But his original patent can still be found on the German patent site
(www.depatisnet.de)

(Die haben selbst eine Englische version )
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
No Idea if he did. But his original patent can still be found on the German patent site
(www.depatisnet.de)

(Die haben selbst eine Englische version )
Viel Dank!

Mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht, und ich weiß nur wenig...aber babelfish ist mein Freund!!!
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
(www.depatisnet.de)
Hmmm...Dr Gminder has only three patents...but Georg Luger has 39...

Thanks for the link!!!

I'll be busy for a while...
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default spring adj...

Hi Vlim... I had thought of this modification often... but, I always thought with a quality spring one might be better off with shims?? And, you would have to be very carefull on tension as the mainspring almost goes to "solid" as it is... Also, you'd only be changing the preload, and not the rate... I guess it would depend a lot on the spring you started with?? But it is on the same page as my thinking ... A little mod on every spring, and walla, magic!!! Best to all, til...lat'r....GT BTW, Also trigger stops.. I know Hugh has it down to a fine art... but as my brain churns away on sleepless nights.. I can only see real advantage in a trigger stop / overtravel stop screw / block?? I can see real issues with a take up limiting set screw, if not done exactly correct for the design of the gun, not necessarly the trigger pull advantage.....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote