LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #21
hammered54
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbuster View Post
Matt, er REALLY need better photos, including the magazine bottoms.
working on it...as of now here's 3 more.

as far as the mag. bottoms , there wood, both have the same ser# (as gun), are numbered 1 and 2, no. 1 shows 2 proof marks, no. 2 shows a + sign below the number.

will work on getting a few better pic of other parts of this gun.
thank's Matt.
hammered54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #22
abukafura
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Geo: I am beginning to get excited about this thread. Here we have three Lugers, all within a close serial range, all dated 1914, all are Erfurts. These three include the one I have sent you, the one you have, and the one that Kornmeyer mentioned to me--a 1914 Erfurt, matched mag, with the GK marking. While I don't recall the serial number of the third Erfurt, I DO recall that it was close to my serial of 2446. It would almost seem like a block of 1914 Erfurts was set aside for this paricular pusrpose----to arm cavalry units as war approached. I think you are right about the odds.....
abukafura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #23
klaus 3338
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abukafura View Post
I exchanged correspondence with Reinhard Kornmeyer in 1997 regarding the meaning of these grip strap markings. He was of the opinion that they could NOT mean Garde Kurraisier Regt Satff because there were not that many pistols in the staff HQ of such a unit (mine is numbered 122). I am not endorsing his view, only repeating it. He cited references at the time which seemed to validate his point. Don Maus told me in a note in Auto Mag that he believed this marking was for Gendarmierie Korps of Hesse. Also, Reinhard also cited a third Luger with grip strap markings of G.K.100
Interesting thread !
My English knowledge does not allow a long answer but you both are right: a staff of a cavalry regiment had in most cases only a few Lugers- in many cases only three (!). Even an infantry division’s commando has had only 50 (!) including "Divisionskommandeur, Feldintendatur, Divisions Proviantamt, Divisionsarzt, Feldjustizbeamte, Feld Divisionsgeistliche".
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #24
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The G.K. stands for the Gendarmerie-Korps of Hessen (HWIS, Chap. 16). Others are listed in Table 16-3 of HWIS.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #25
hammered54
User

knowing a brief history (at least from 1944/45) the G.K.71. now comes to make sence

the gun was picked up by my Father ( 242 inf. 42 Rainbow Div.) in Strasburg from a.......".police station " (go figure) along with both mag's and a broken striker (not from this gun).
I would like to thank all for helping me find this extra info. on this gun, if it could only talk.

thanks Matt.
hammered54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Matt, thank you for the information about the capture location of this pistol. Although Strasbourg was in the Alsace-Lorraine region, it was very close to Hessen and adds additional confidence to the identification of the G.K. markings.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote