LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 12-03-2002, 09:43 PM   #1
unspellable
User

Post The Wally World Winchester Wonder ammo

After hearing all the talk about the Wally World Winchester Wonder ammo I went out and bought a couiple of boxes. Ran a few over the chronograph, here are the results:

I used five Lugers, two DWM's, two vintage Mausers, and a Mitchell, all with four inch barrels. Mean velocity was 1107.7 fps at 10 feet from the muzzle. Standard deviation divided by velocity among the five pistols averaged 2.88%.

Out of sixty or so rounds, I had one malfunction in a 1938 Mauser. Cartridge stopped half way up the feed ramp, perhaps not quite enough steam to get the breech block all the way back although the hold open worked. On the other hand this same pistol produced the smallest variation in velocity among the five.

I would rate this load as no better than average for consistency, but keep in mind it's an econo load not a premium load. I would rate it as a bit too hot for an old model (flat recoil spring), about right on for a new model DWM and just a bit on the mild side for a vintage Mauser. Assuming factory spec recouil springs.

Meant to run this stuff through my Ruger P89 as a control but left the 9 mm spring at home. Did run some 40 S&W through it with such a light load I had to use the 7.65 mm Parabellum spring.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 11:32 PM   #2

Both my 1915 DWM Thor rework and 1936 Mauser shooter love this Wallmart ammo. They shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards with it. I don't care to shoot more efficient bullets (like hollowpoints) in these old guns, they are just fun guns. Also, my S&W 3914 keeps this ammo all in the black, maybe 3-4" groups. It shoots expensive hollowpoints pretty wild, maybe 6-7" groups.

Love the Walleymart stuff.
Unread 12-04-2002, 08:22 PM   #3
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Unspellable,

Thanks for the data on Walmart Winchester. I use it exclusively in my lugers and newly-acquired C96 and highly recommend it: It is the cheapest ammo I know of, including ads in Shotgun News, and you don't have to buy 1000 rounds for the low price. The rare feeding malfunctions I've had with it can probably all be attributed to bad magazines, and with my eyesight it would be a waste to buy match-grade ammo.

Since we are on the subject of this load, what Wolff recoil spring would you match it with? I've been using the #38 in all my lugers with an occassional hold open failure (1 in 8 to 1 in 20 magazines depending on the gun). I installed a 10% over spec recoil spring in the C96 and so far it has never failed to feed or hold open. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 08:23 AM   #4
unspellable
User

Wolff specifies the recoil spring force at the loaded length. Unfortunately, this is only part of the story. The Wolff springs are longer than the original Luger springs and so for the same loaded force they have a higher preloaded force. My research project for matching loads to springs is still under way, too soon for published results.

But in the meantime, if you have an occasional failure to hold open and the hold open itself is operating correctly, I'd go ahead and try the Wolff 36 lbf spring with the Wally World Winchester load. A second check is to put a gum wrapper or some such on the rear of the frame where the rear toggle extension will tap it. It should just tap it and leave a mark without mashing it.

Keep in mind this is not a premium load and there will be a little more variation from round to round than in the expensive stuff.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote