LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Waveski
User

Default Mag operating question...

When loading a Luger magazine , is it OK to push down on the follower button , as I do on my Ruger Mk1 mags , or does that place undue force load on the thin shaft which connects the button to the follower?
I had a failure of that part recently , and was wondering if I caused it by forcing the button downward.
Waveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

That is the way it works, the original loading tool does just that- pull down on the button that is.
Unread 03-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Rick W.
User

I really cannot say specifically what caused the particular mag button to fail, but one can suspect that tenure might have been in the mix. Mag buttons can be made on the lathe, but lots of folks have concerns about originality.

I believe that the Lugers probably were once paired with a loading device that fits over the button to give you more ease in loading said magazine.

I have never used a Luger tool for loading a magazine; too poor to own a real one or replica loading tool, I just tough it out with my thumb on the button and load from the top. Just one way of approach; not favored by many I reckon.

In my own opinion, that some guys will use a more modern loading assist and is not so hard to put a lot of pressure on the button, spring, and mag bottom; not a real big concern, just an observation. If one loads the max number of rounds, then places the loaded mag(clip) into the firearm, you probably notice a resistance to full insertion. Just adding more pressure to the bottom section of the magazine, tis supposed to handle it, but some are getting kinda grey in tenure. Note I did not say button.

Luger bottoms, especially the older wood ones, can be blown out the bottom of the mag thus needing some repairs or replacement. Same thing can happen with original automag magazines, sometimes it is just age and repeated use I reckon.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 03-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
Waveski
User

Don -

Don't you just love having neophytes like me hanging around , asking the obvious? I guess I should have figured out that the round hole in the Luger tool was a loading aid - in fact I think I read that a while ago , but it slipped to the back of the Rolodex in my head.

Rick - I only load 5 rounds in my Luger magazine. Beyond that the spring tension stacks up significantly ; I see no need to subject such an old piece of equipment to such loads.

The magazine in question is now in the good hands of GT for repair. He will also be supplying me with an improved MecGar , with wooden floor plate. The old mag will get a deserved rest.

Thanks , guys. 'Ski
The following member says Thank You to Waveski for your post:
Unread 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Ski,
I just love questions I can answer in one sentence.
Unread 03-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
Rick W.
User

I was in a gunclub that only allowed 5 in a magazine for a long time, now is a apartment complex.

You are wise with the 5. The Italian mags are pretty nice quality, work well.

My observations over time, are just that, observations and not mandates.
Unread 03-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #7
Waveski
User

Your shared observations are appreciated.
Unread 03-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveski View Post
Don -

Don't you just love having neophytes like me hanging around , asking the obvious? I guess I should have figured out that the round hole in the Luger tool was a loading aid - in fact I think I read that a while ago , but it slipped to the back of the Rolodex in my head.

Rick - I only load 5 rounds in my Luger magazine. Beyond that the spring tension stacks up significantly ; I see no need to subject such an old piece of equipment to such loads.

The magazine in question is now in the good hands of GT for repair. He will also be supplying me with an improved MecGar , with wooden floor plate. The old mag will get a deserved rest.

Thanks , guys. 'Ski
Rick, a replica loading tool can be had for as little as $5
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #9
Major Tom
User

Default Reproduction loading tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Rick, a replica loading tool can be had for as little as $5
I bought a couple of those and they did not work properly. Looking at them I saw they had a curve in the length wich I made perfectly flat. The other one had where the hole for the button did not have the little recessed groove to fit behind the button. Dremel tool to the rescue for that. Both work OK now, but I see no reason to use them as I too only load 5 rounds at a time.
Unread 03-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
Rick W.
User

I believe that the loading tool for magazines in general has their place, don't get me wrong on that. There are all kinds of designs for such a function, some appealing to the collector as well as some appealing to the shooter.

My old club had the five shot rule, I just got into the habit during my fun shoots, old habits you know. My hands still work ok for loading magazines(not much else though), so have never bellied up to the bar for a loading tool..........yet. Obviously a nicely designed original or aftermarket tool is a boon to lots of folks, tis a good thing.

My old club was of course, way before the metal plate matches etc came into prominence. I would suspect that their old ways would not go very far with the 20+ round mags for some of the race guns.

Some of the loading tools for magazines give the user a lot of leverage........easily..........just have to apply the force with some consideration perhaps.

As usual, everyone has to think for themselves; and make their own decisions...........just is one of those life things. If we do not think for ourselves, who are we?.....
Unread 03-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I personally despise the repro loading tools, first one I used bent on me. I use only original and have one on my key chain.

I must admit, that I use a loading tool when shooting perhaps once in 100 visits to the range. I simply use my fingers, did loading in the army for 1911 mags and M9 (Beretta) for thousands of rounds, so I just do, and I am not a huge shooter with probably a box every couple of months.

And it was YEARS before Geo, Jerry or Dwight pointed out that I should use the round hole to use the tool... I only used it as a screw driver
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I purchased one of the reproduction loading tools a number of years ago. It really didn't work very well for me. I got to looking at it, and found that the back(the side going against the mag body) was not totally flat. I placed the tool on a flat plate covered with 220 grit W/D sandpaper and made it flat. Viola, a perfect working tool. I shoot my 06/73 Mauser often, and those mags have a "killer" mag spring to depress. It gets the job done for me. Different strokes!!
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote