LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 04-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #21
skeeter4206
User

WOW!! I still got a little collecting to catch up with all that. Very nice! Love the closet with a magazine rack. Definitely cool stuff. Thanks for the pictures. Reminds me why I got what I do have.
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to skeeter4206 for your post:
Unread 04-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #22
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Thank You! I have 20 lugers and each had a magazine. My Kreegy has two matching that I posted above!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #23
GerColctor
User

Not questioning the wisdom of storage techniques from guys on this forum that have significant Luger, etc. collections and greater longevity in this field of interest. I have read about these storage issues a number of times, but before all the info was put on the internet I just carefully stored my C&R guns and never gave any thought about the holsters being a possible risk to the finish of the pistols.

All of my Lugers, P-38, Hi Power, Beretta, Nambu, M1914, etc, as well as matching or "correct" mags & tools are stored in appropriately dated holsters. These rigs are kept in high end humidity controlled safes in both CT and in SW FL. Some of the rigs have been stored in my CT safe over 25 years. Periodically the guns are removed wiped down, holsters are also "cleaned" with a different cloth. Only one holster that contains a Hi Power develops an issue, it gets a light white covering on the leather, that is very easy to remove using a clean cotton cloth. The presence of the P-35 is not the cause, as it was happening before I ever got the right gun to fill it and it earned a seat in the safe. There has never been any of the light red colored rust evidence from the guns on my cleaning cloths.

I place 2 Luger holsters with pistols side by side facing opposite directions, in cardboard boxes that are a perfect fit. These boxes can hold 3 smaller or pocket size guns with holsters. They stack neatly 3 high on each shelf in the safe. Do not need to use these containers (yet) in the FL safe, as the inventory is significantly smaller.

In my "gun" room there is a standard 4 drawer file cabinet, which the lower 3 are filled primarily with Luger holsters, plus a few other military ones. Each Luger holster contains a mag and tool, unfortunately each is still waiting for the right pistol to move in. One of these extra Luger holsters has a history of getting partially covered with the same white film that the Hi Power holster in the safe is affected with. There has been never been an issue in removing the mags from the leather sleeves. Sometimes the tool compartment is a little tight. All of my holsters are cleaned and protected right after purchase.

There has never been any rust evidence on my mostly early 98ks that are all kept in the CT safe. These rifles are obviously uncovered.
Unread 05-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #24
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

You are very lucky. Over the years I have seen many rusted lugers from being stored in holsters. The last one was an excellent luger carbine stored in a leather carbine case. It came out covered in spot rust. As stated above it sometimes is ok. There are many factors which can make a difference. But why take the risk?? Bill
Unread 05-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #25
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I would never store a pistol or metal object in a leather case(holster) or a "pistol rug"; I have seen too many ruined.

In a truly climate controlled environment, it may be OK- but only takes a one week power failure to screw that up too.

JMHO.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 05-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #26
GerColctor
User

My collectable C&R guns are stored in a humidity controlled safe in CT and I also have another similar unit at our home in SW FL, where there is only one Imperial Luger and holster residing. My neighbors all have modern handguns stored in various types/sizes of safes, no holsters and most of them upon returning to FL after spending the summer months at their northern homes have discovered that some or all of their modern pistols (not stainless) were effected by the humidity and tropical dampness.

Last year I convinced one of them, whose firearms suffered rust, some pitting under the grips, to spend the money and buy a "real" 5' high end, humidity controlled gun safe and since then he has had no issues. The other 2 neighbors now store their pistols in my safe when they return home for extended periods. No problems with their guns last season, we will see how it goes this year.

I think that the environment where guns are stored has a huge effect on whether they will be damage by humidity or dampness, with or w/o holsters. The evidence room in our police station was not humidity controlled or even ventilated, there wasn't even a portable dehumidifier used and all of the firearms that were stored in open ranks, rusted after a few months during the summer. Was more then a bit embarrassing when burglary victims showed up to pickup their "recovered" weapons that were ordered by the courts to be returned, and they saw the condition after being kept in that room for a couple of years. Never a good conversation/s, but then, "we are from the government and we are here to help".

Power outage is always a threat and thats what we keep the generator is for.
Unread 05-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #27
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

In Florida, our AC is always running at 75 and we have 2 backup generators never humid! You wonder how any survived WW1 with its muddy trenches, rain and other horrible conditions. They probably realized that their lives depended on a clean working luger and took great care! Thankful that any survived! But over a million were made, we are lucky to have any war guns in any condition! The early commercials seemed to survive better as they generally escaped the toils of war~ They are all equally as beautiful in their own and will out live us all!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 05-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #28
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Probably a better comparison to Florida conditions would be the lugers that the Dutch sent to Indonesia. Most of these, unless they've been restored, are in poor shape. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post: