LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 04-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #21
A.Mifsin
User

Default Re: Texture

Quote:
Originally posted by G.T.
Hi Gerben and all, the texture on either the front or back is just a matter of random parts getting flipped over prior to the next operation... this is also true of pre 45 made tools as well, I think there was a conscious effort to have the radiused side up when the tool was formed, but occasionally they came through up-side down, and I'm sure after making a few hundred tools, the thrill was gone... Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. Thanks for the info, but, what do you mean " when the parts get flipped over to the next operation " what makes the texture? acutally how these tools were made by forging, milling or cutting ?
Alf
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #22
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default tool manufacture

Hi Alf, I probably should have made that a bit more clear, I will try to explain how the Luger tools differ from side to side throughout production... I will call on my good friend Sam Buscemi to correct me if my steel terminology is incorrect.. But here goes, as far as i can tell by studying the tools closely over the years, they start out as a sheet, coil, or ribbon of flat or straightened cold rolled steel of the correct thickness, probably low carbon steel so the material is easy on tools & dies, and is also easily formed.. Next the sheet steel is run thru a punch press so that the basic overall shape and tool uniformity is maintained, in short they are punched out at a very rapid rate and this is what gives the tool the different textures and radius on each edge and the top and bottom sides.. meaning that the sheet will have (could have) different texture on each side, and the radiused edge will show from which side they were punched.. I am not sure when they punch or machine in the hole, or form the bent end, but either one of these operations would dedicate the tool to a certain side being top, or bottom from that point forth.... The rest of the secondary operations are performed, machined lengthwise slot, screw driver tip, hole lip, etc. and the tool gets a short heat treat of some kind, (or none!) and it's off to the tumbler and phosphating bath... They were made really fast, again by probably the same guy from the start... and he had good days and bad days...same as me! I hope this helps answer your question...Best to you, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #23
A.Mifsin
User

A very clear explanation. Thank You G.T.
Alf
Unread 04-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #24
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default War Years?

Hi Alf, I have a question for you, did the British, or allies leave a lot of items there during the war??.. I know Malta was awarded the George Cross, as a group, for holding out during the war... But where do you find Lugers and such on an island like that?, and what are your laws on posession of such?? Best to you, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #25
A.Mifsin
User

Hi GT, To your first question Yes the British left lots of stuff and when I was a boy in the scouts we used to buy ex army stuff for our camping and climbing etc. Now it is not so easy to find anything, it is a long time since the British left, it was in March 31, 1979.
For a small island like ours you be amazed how many guns there are, mostly are inherted from family to family, some keep them for decoration, others are collectors like me, mostly we buy from people that inherted some guns but does not want to keep them. The main source is to buy from abroad through internet acutions or as I sometimes do, go to Germay, Kassel fair and buy from there.
We are not bad with our laws, regard collecting as long as you have a collector licence you can buy anthing as long as it is pre 1946, even full auto
For target shooting we are allowed 10 modern guns to shoot, any caliber.
Regards.
Alf