LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-14-2002, 11:20 PM   #1
Silvano
User

Default Strawing

My question I suppose has been motivated by the present Luger of the month. It definitely is a beautiful piece, and I don't mean to bring any insult, however... Does straw like that occur naturally on a 96 year old gun?? All examples of straw I've ever seen, even on the most perfect of guns, all exhibit a slightly worn and freckled handling pattern. Just curious.

Unread 02-14-2002, 11:33 PM   #2
Doug
User

Default No insult at all.

The straw on this gun looks much better in the picture than in person. I used high powered photo grade lamps that tend to accentuate the straw and hide some of the minor spotting that is present. Granted the straw is in very good condition and will stay that way if properly maintained. I believe that it was stated that exposure to sunlight has a tendency to fade straw color after time. Judging from the patina under the blue that the gun was stored in a safe or closet for a very long time. I have another 1908 Commercial that was featured on this board before the change in webmasters that has equally good straw remaining and the rest of the gun matches. I know that it was a gun that did not see daylight for a very long time.