LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
Big Norm
RIP

Default The Movie 'KONG'

I just watched the movie 'KONG', which is now playing at movie theaters. It was four hours long, so pee before seeing it and don't drink during it. But it was a good flick. In the movie there was a snap shot of a Luger by the captain of the ship when he was attacked by the natives. The actor tried to give the impression that he had a German accent, but he failed. A second shot of the Luger indicated that it was a navy Luger.

OK, all you hot shot Lugerheads, what model navy Luger was that Luger? Sharp eyed Lugerheads all picked up on the the Luger in the movie "The Lost Battalion", but this one will be more of a challenge, if its possible to tell at all.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Norm,

Was it an "Air-Soft"??
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
SteveM
User

Thomas Kretschmann IS German. Also played the German Captain in U-571.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Norm, I saw the movie too... felt like I needed to pitch a tent to stay until it was over. Great special effects. Some really ugly natives. I saw the Luger in profile in a quick shot... I saw an artillery rear sight on an eight inch barrel... can't say I saw a Navy...

but of course with Hollywood technical competence... there is no telling how long it took to shoot that scene or that two different models were used... the actors sure wouldn't know the difference. I would recommend the film if you enjoyed the one with Faye Ray in it... but definitely take Norm's suggestions to heart. If you buy a coke, sip it SLOWLY... and make sure you bladder is empty when the film starts.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2005, 06:33 AM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Ron,
Naw, it wasn't Air-Soft. There were two separate quick shots of the Luger and the first quick look was of the front of it and I saw the distinctive toogle action of the Luger working and shells being ejected. I screamed at my date, "Thats a Luger!". I had to look around to see if anybody turned to look at me. The second look see was a quick side view and I could see the long barrel. It all was during some action so my viewing was quick. I didn't notice the Luger any more during the rest of the move though. I just wanted to clue everyone here that our favorite toogle top was again featured in a big time movie.

The movie was a little preposterous at times. They had some guy, who presumatively never shot a Thompson submachine gun before, shooting huge bugs off of another actor. The actor with the bugs on him never was hit but a lot of bugs were destroyed. I would think that with all that shooting that the actor with all the bugs on him would also have been cut to pieces by the gun.

If this was an artillery Luger, as John says, then I wonder if this was the same artillery used in the movie "Lost Continent" by Dan Duriay (Spelling?) to kill a bunch of bad dinosaurs?

Unlike the original "Kong", the gerrilla in this movie looked very real. I though that the special effects were terrific. But I used to be a diver on the swimming team at Michigan State Univ and I know how scared I used to be climbing up the ladder to a ten meter diving tower. When I saw those people climping up the ladder to the top of those huge buildings, I didn't relate to how real people would feel.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote