LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Kohaku2416
User

Default Mauser 98k

I wanna buy one, but i have heard they kick a lot like a lot lot. Does anyone know of some methods on how i could let the kick not be so rough? and no im not a wuss when it comes to shooting guns with hardcore kick, i just can't hit anything if it does kick that hard >_> and i dont really want a gun if i can't hit anything with it
Kohaku2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Rod WMG
User

I don't have a "real" one; mine is a Yugo. I'm certainly not immune to recoil, but this one doesn't kick anymore than any other steel butt plated military stocked firearm to me.

You might be able to get a "limbsaver" pad for it. Those get rave reviews from some of my pards online. Of course, then it's not an original 98 anymore.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
policeluger
RIP

I have several K98's of original WW2 vintage....and they kick a Missouri mule
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Stevie
User

"Kick is relative to your capacity to handle recoil. I have several 8mm rifles and really they don't kick bad at all. Some of the surplus ammo is pretty hot, machine gun grade fodder , that does have some kick to it. Remington or Winchester commercial ammo is loaded quite a bit lighter and is quite pleasant to shoot.

Look for a K98k with a laminated stock, as they seem to be about a pound heavier than a walnut stocked K98. The weight will help offset the kick somewhat. A Gew 98 or a Czech 98/22, or maybe a Turkish KKale are long rifles and dont kick too bad either.

I think the milsurp rifles and carbines reputation for recoil is exaggerated somewhat. British jungle carbines, Russian M38 and M44 carbines are supposidly "hard kickers", but my kids will shoot them without complaint. By far the worst "kicker" I own is a Rock Island 1903 rifle. Ten shots from its muzzle will leave your shoulder sore.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
pipeman45
User

If recoil is a problem,and you don't want to alter the gun. Get one of recoil reduction vest or strap on pads. I think you can find them in Cabelas.
Unread 12-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
Rod WMG
User

Pipeman is correct. That's where I got mine. If I recall correctly there are two types. One is "heavier duty" than the other. That's the one I got for shooting my .375 H&H mag from the bench with the Federal Hig Energy loads. It helped.
Unread 12-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
the gunman
User

I have shot 98k mausers for 50 years never really had a problem with them . I don't feel they are of any greater recoil then the current sporters. Can't really see if this is an issue .
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

In fact, they may be better than the present sporters due to the extra weight of the K98k and the wider butt.
Unread 12-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Mauser 98's are the backbone of the bolt-action rifle world. A timeless design, and if properly stocked they are very accurate. If you are a semi-auto shooter most of the time... you will never enjoy shooting a locked breech large caliber gun, but it will hit what you are aiming at...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2005, 02:37 PM   #10
the gunman
User

Help need a treaded muzzle nut for a K-43 original or repo . Anyone out there have one.
Richie
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 04:05 AM   #11
trigger643
User

Don't be a pansy. The k98k won't bite you. These are my second loves after the P.08. Great Guns to own, fawn over and shoot. I would suggest a Yugo "Producze 44" for your first one. All Nazi parts, all rebilt. Cheap. They run under $200.00 in most places. They have a long history and heritage, unlike the Russo Captures, which are cut short for history. I bought one for my son who wanted a k98k. I have 3 original german K98ks, I'd be willing to let you have the dou44, but it would be pricy. It is all matching and arsenal reworked. Drop me a pm if interested. The byf42 and bnz43 I have are not for sale.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #12
Kohaku2416
User

Quote:
Originally posted by John Sabato
Mauser 98's are the backbone of the bolt-action rifle world. A timeless design, and if properly stocked they are very accurate. If you are a semi-auto shooter most of the time... you will never enjoy shooting a locked breech large caliber gun, but it will hit what you are aiming at...
Yea i am just to used to shooting guns like the M1 Garand and M16. But i do wanna try and get used to the Mauser 98k.
Kohaku2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #13
pipeman45
User

Lighten up guys. There could be medical reasons for not wanting recoil. I have a friend that has bad joint pain, but refuses to give up shooting his big bores. You have to take your hat off to guys like that.
Unread 12-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #14
Rod WMG
User

Over the years I've read that this or that military rifle is a severe kicker, kohaku2416. Specifically, I've heard it in relation to the Steyr M95 and the Mosin Nagant, and a few others. This always sort of surprises me as I've shot them and find them tolerable.

What's surpising about it is that I'm not immune to recoil by any means. Practically all my centerfire rifles above the .22 caliber level have been uncomfortable to me, or downright painful, at one time or another. Today I have a mildly sore shoulder from shooting my .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun yesterday with some fairly hot loads.

Some tips: avoid shooting from the bench as this accentuates recoil for most; pull the rifle with the grip on the forearm snugly (don't go so tight as to shake) into the pocket of the shoulder; if you handload or can buy ammo with different bullets, use a lighter weight bullet as heavier bullets create more felt recoil; try the Past pad; and finally, shoot often as exposure helps toleration for me.

Good luck.