LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
minigun
User

Default Interesting Mauser history (Stg45)....

Check out GunBroker.com's listing on this little piece. (I am so computer illiterate I can't post the pic of this or the link). It is auction #41659449-an "Stg45".

Anyone have any history on this gun? I'm not in the market for it, but just wanted to learn a little more about it. The literature states that the gun is a "pre-Hk roller locking system" gun. I guess what the ad is saying is that Hk took this and incorporated it into their lock roller design that we all admire now. I just thought this was cool as it incorporates an MP44, MP40 and maybe a G3 all rolled into one gun!

The history in the ad doesn't make sense though. Seems I read on this site somewhere that the Mauser factory was blown up by the Germans (not the Allies as the ad states) so that the Allies wouldn't get it.

Anyone care to share what they know.......
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?item=41659449
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

As best I recall, The Mauser factory at Oberndorf a/N was turned over to the French in tact, with little or no damage. They continued assembling the left over gun parts for their troop, still fighting in SE Asia. TH
Unread 12-22-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi,

The story as the seller mentions in the ad is pretty much correct.
Mauser facilities in Oberndorf were damaged by allied bombing, but damage was relatively small. The Berlin facilities didn't see much damage either.

Part of the buildings in Berlin were destroyed by the company and the Berlin state on order of the French occupation forces in 1948. Most of the facilities in Oberdorf were dismantled and destroyed by the French in 1948 as well.

I have the complete British intelligence report on the inspection of the Mauser Oberndorf plant and the captured train, made in may, 1945.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
trigger643
User

this rifle has been discussed extensively on HKpro.com. It was concluded that, although an extremely interesting piece, and probably the gem of any collection, it would be valued more in the $50,000 range. I, for one, could think of a dozen or so weapons I could purchase for the asking price. It certainly is a beauty -- I'll give the seller that.

Tac - I am a big fan of HK, understanding the Herr Heckler und Herr Koch barrowed the idea of the rolling locking block from the Stg45 and the LMG43. I have found it to be a very progressive and utilitarian design, having built a sub-MOA upon an HK93 platform. I tried to do the same on a 91 (g3), but was totally unsuccessful. The braces needed for the larger caliber where beyond my capicty to replicate (such as they do on the Psg1 and Msg90).

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
Tony S.
User

Default GERMAN manufactured StG45

Check this out! I need to check my closet, maybe I have something like this laying around... I know I don't have the cash.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=41904321
Enjoy!
"SEMPER PARATUS"
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi,

The following was written about the MP45 in a 1945 British intelligence report:

Interrogation of Mr. Altenburger, chief constructor of light weapons up to 15mm:

...he had been working on the Infantry Pistol 7.9 mm. short cartrigde, the weapon being called MP 45 Mauser. Parts and models of this gun had been sent to ravensburg, but some parts were still in the factory. No drawings, he stated, were at Oberndorf. The principal advantage of this weapon was the ease with which it could be produced using only straight carbon steels. The time to make, when set up for production, was estimated to be 3 - 4 hours. Its weight was 4 kg. The rate of fire was 450 - 480 rounds per minute and the length of the barrel was 400mm., the muzzle velocity being 700 metres/sec. There were 45 - 50 parts in the gun, manily pressings, but with a forged locking system. The barrels were made by the ' dolly' method.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
P. J. Heck
User

I see that the auction was viewed 2800 times!!!!!!!! Most viewers must have been tapped out by Christmas gift buying or it would surely have sold!!!!!!!! Has some MP 40 influence in the grip area........ I foolishly turned down a Minigun from Strembridge 3/4 years ago for $110.000., later I saw the same gun sell for $275,000. at Knob Creek.