LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
colcolombo
User

Default Anybody see this Fox news report Monday?

Hello all,

Haven't been around for awhile. Just came out of the swamps for the winter.

I was watching Fox news yesterday and saw a news clip. Best I can remember, as I didn't catch the very first, was that there was a fire somewhere in Indiana. Officials found an arsenal of assorted WWII weapons inside. Pictured was some sort of WWII machine gun, at least one Luger, a P-38 and others. Then an official came out and briefly showed a box of handguns, which appeared to be more lugers. (Drool). I have Googled Indiana news sources till my fingers are sore but I can't come up with anything on the story. Checked Foxnews.com and nothing there. Sure wish I could have seen them all. Man arrested was an ex-con and stated that the guns were his wife's.

That's about all I remember. No doubt the BATFE will try to put the cutting torch to them if they get involved. There should be a law to exempt these collectors guns and place them in a museum after they are no longer evidence.

Best regards to all,

Joe
colcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
minigun
User

Yep, that's what makes collecting Lugers so pricey. Every year I'm sure several succum to whatever is out there making yours and mine worth a little more. Every year less and less are in circulation. This is just another fine example of what I'm talking about. Supply and demand.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 05:56 AM   #3
Steinar
User

It hurts my eyes to see all those deactivated Lugers..
..but at least it's better than melting them down! Many Lugers found their way to the melting pot here in Norway last year after we had a two month period where unregistered firearms could be given to the police without questions.
Many ww2 pistols/rifles where melted down.. but mostly old shotguns

I only had the chance to save two of them.
Unread 12-14-2005, 07:14 AM   #4
colcolombo
User

Regarding the BATFE, I have always wondered if they actually destroy ALL the guns they are ordered to. Before I retired, I had occasion to watch them on several occasions. They will find a local welding shop to do the dastardly deed and they have TWO witnesses to the destruction. Any hanky panky on the agent's part will result in immediate dismissal if the serial number (of a certified destroyed weapon) ever shows up in circulation.

I should make it clear here that I AM NOT, repeat, AM NOT a believer or supporter of the BATFE. They are overbearing and unreasonable and will not bend. I personally think their agency should be abolished.

I found it interesting that the new SCOTUS nominee Alito ruled in one of his many papers that the US Government has no inherent right to prevent a citizen from owning a machine gun. Of course his opinion was not a majority opinion but it shows his mindset when it comes to guns and the government. Refreshing. I hope he can overcome the obstacles to being confirmed but he has a rocky road ahead of him.
Unread 12-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #5
Navy
RIP

The US Government actually has a vested interest in citizens owning machine guns-the transfer tax it collects when one is lawfully sold. It is the states and municipalities that have prohibited ownership.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

colcolumbo, I saw the Fox News piece that you reference. As you stated, there were alot of Lugers and some type of old speed-gun. Even though the whole thing was being touted as a "dangerous arms cache" held by a felon, they did make mention that the wife is said to be the owner.

I wouldn't be surprised if nothing comes of the whole affair. The guy is probably an old collector who managed to get himself in some scrape with the law. If ownership is transferred to the little woman, all is legal in most states. One should keep in mind that, after eight years of the Clintons, any so called "domestic violence" can result in defacto felon status.

I can just imagine what the reaction would be if some recent journalism graduate ever popped into my house on an inventory day.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
pipeman45
User

That is true Tac. But the devil is in the detail. And the Federal judge who hears the case is the one who sets those details.
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Mrs. G. Gordon Liddy, whose husband is a felon of no little repute, has quite an extensive modern firearms collection.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
colcolombo
User

Tac, explain to me exactly what a "deactivated" Luger is. Is it just missing parts? (Unlikely I would think). Or has it been disfigured to the point that it could never be restored? Any serviceable parts? Inquiring minds want to know. I want to know. Thanks.

Boone
Unread 12-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
colcolombo
User

Tac, couple more.

First, what is the going price of these "deactivated" pistols.? Are they considered a firearm if you want to purchase one?

Second, I signed off as Boone. Sorry that is my username on another forum.

Joe
Unread 12-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #11
Roadkill
User

Quote:
any so called "domestic violence" can result in defacto felon status.

Last month I aquired about twenty guns for the whopping cost of $1.00. An old friend and his wife split up, they had been married twenty seven years, she got real nasty, he got stupid, she had a restraining order enacted, he went back to get some tools from the detatched garage where she never went anyway, she drove up, big fight, he kicked the garage door in, she went to the house, called police, he was arrested, first time in his life, end result he pled guilty to a felony under the domestic violence thing to keep out of jail. Deal is I keep them, he cannot even see them until the felony is revoked, must wait five years to contest it. If no change I keep them or sell them, whatever he wants. I don't even know what they are except for a couple of AR15s and AKs.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote