LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Remington Model 40 X

Folks, definitely off topic here, but I don't know where to look. I am looking for a mint Remington Model 40X marked "US" that might have been used in an ROTC program in the 1950's or 1960's. This is a .22 long rifle single shot rifle with heavy barrel, Redfield Olympic sight with inserts, rubber buttplate, adjustable barrel bedding system and walnut stocks. These were appartently sold by CMP in recent years and I used one in ROTC marksmanship training. Does anyone know where I might now look for one, perferably at an advantegour price, now that CMP no longer has any in stock? Thank you, David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Outside of gunshows, Google, and the gun auctions websites I am not sure where you would look...

The last time I looked at the CMP website, they still had parts guns/barreled actions available. You might set out to collect the individual parts and build you one as one course of action...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Be patient, the JROTC programs have been required to turn in all their .22 rifles. I packed up twelve of exactly what you want and sent them to Anniston Army Depopt. I also had to dispose of over 18,000 rounds of Olin .22 LR. Recommend you contact the depos directly.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
c3006
User

Roadkill
Just wondering why they had to turn them in? clink
Unread 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank you for these replies. I know they take time.

I wonder, can the depot's dispose of such rifles direclty to the public? Seems as if they must go thru the Civilian Marksmanship Program does it not?

I also wonder why ROTC is required to turn them in. Are they no longer of use in marksmanship training?

Gratefully, David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2005, 12:16 AM   #6

About 11 years ago I belonged to a gun club in South Carolina. They still had 6 loaned DCM M1s and a number of target .22s. They were offered a chance to buy all of the guns as a club so the loaner program was evidently being terminated. I wasn't too interested since I had my own guns for many years and the club was going to keep ownership of the guns.